a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need some advice about my knee problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

timidpsycho

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
TOO LONG; DIDN'T READ version:

KNEES=OUCH! Join Legion or don't? Surgery OK or not?

Just to kinda reintroduce myself, I'm formerly of the US Army (for about 3 months) due to some knee problems that popped up, pretty much out of nowhere, during the first few weeks of basic training. In hindsight, I know why it happened and how I could have avoided or at least mitigated the problem (at the time I thought my knees were gonna break off and the Army doctors couldn't tell me anything constructive either, hence the discharge).

Anyway, it's been a year and I'm still feeling some minor pains now and then (probably from something I'm doing, or not doing). I also have some shin pains, but it's anyone's guess as to why.

All of that being said, I'm considering trying my hand (or knees, as it were) in the Legion, rather than going back to the US Army (I'm a sucker for new and different experiences, and the political and economic situation in the US these days is not exactly welcoming, as I'm sure most are aware of =\ ). I have no doubt my muscles and willpower could last, but I can't really be sure of where my knees are at until I give it a go.

So my question is this: would it be wise to go for it with the existing risks/liabilities? Or would it be more wise to call it a day and accept my civilian fate?

I've got to tell you though, I've been doing the only civilian job I thought I could stomach for three months now and it's not going so great (I'm in Korea right now teaching English). There's no chance of finding a job back in the States for obvious reasons... especially not with a degree in history, that is (I'm an idiot, I know!). I figure if I quit now I could spend a good 5 or 6 months healing and training (somehow) and make a good showing in the Spring. Not to toot my own horn, but it seems I'm a pretty beastly runner no matter how much time off I take or how much damage I do to my knees (ignoring the pain is kinda why I'm in this mess), so that won't be a problem. I can get back into shape for everything else pretty easily in 6 months time too. So really, the only undecided factor is the damn knees.

Oh, now that I'm thinking about it, it's possibly my problems could be solved with simple cartilage replacement surgery (that's the main problem anyway). Would the Legion accept me if I got that surgery, supposing I was fully recovered and back in working order when I go to sign up?

Sorry for the long-ass post, but... attention to detail and all that...

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Hi! I have some knee problems of my own (combined with arthritis), did served my 1 year compulsory military service in my country (Romania) as an infantry riflemen and because of that I had some nasty experiences. My point is that, if you are putting a lot of stress on your knees, and in infantry you can't say that you don't, it's going to get ugly. If you can do that surgery and regain your physical health, it will be a lot better for you, just make sure your condition is not affecting other joints of your body.
I started having problems with my right knee, cured it, after a couple of years both of my knees were hearting so much that I couldn't bend my legs the day after some running (~ 4km). But that is my case.
Anyway take care of you're problem before it get's worse.

Hroflr Grimm

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If you've worn down the cartiledge then it sounds like you are rapidly approaching the point where you will need the surgery regardless of FFL considerations.

In regards to FFL considerations you will obviously want/need to show up without any signs of knee distress. How you accomplish this is the question more. In addition to the surgery option I suggest you look into things like 'retro running' 'hindu squats' 'knee strength training', any hardcore runner should be incorporating at least one of these in order to counterbalance the effects of continual running.

timidpsycho

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If you've worn down the cartiledge then it sounds like you are rapidly approaching the point where you will need the surgery regardless of FFL considerations.

In regards to FFL considerations you will obviously want/need to show up without any signs of knee distress. How you accomplish this is the question more. In addition to the surgery option I suggest you look into things like 'retro running' 'hindu squats' 'knee strength training', any hardcore runner should be incorporating at least one of these in order to counterbalance the effects of continual running.

Yeah, you were telling me about those techniques in response to my intro post. I checked them out and the retro-running looks good, but the hindu-squats look like absolute MURDER! I'll work my way gradually I guess!

But yeah, the only thing I can do for my knees is rest them or get surgery. Seeing as how I don't have any health insurance, I think I'll go with plan A. I may just have to take my chances with that. Right now, however, I don't have any time to devote to healing my knees because of my job. If I quit and go back home, however, I will have time.

Would it be advantageous to show up to selection with a waiver from a doctor saying my knees are OK, or are they going to check anyway? I'm pretty sure I can pass an examination. The real problems only start when my knees don't get enough rest in between hard workouts. But now that I know the nature of the beast, I'll know to try not to over-do it when I can.

Thanks for the advice again!

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
I think you didn't get the point, take care of your knee or you will not succeed, even a regular army's basic training. You have pains from a year, that is not something to overlook that easy.
You will get your medical checkup anyway in Aubagne.

Gregor

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Would it be advantageous to show up to selection with a waiver from a doctor saying my knees are OK or are they going to check anyway?
use search about what to bring to the selection. as i understood on final tests, just before the contract, thay will take you to a hospital for more acurate exams, x-rays etc.

my opinion: operate, heal and train you knee. than go ahead with the legion

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
if you have leg problems ask a doctor youll get 100 diffrent responces here and they will all be wrong.
secondly any kind of leg problem will be amplifyed buy the marching not being able to sit less you in the class room.
sorry m8 you dond have a hope in hell :(

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Reaction score
if you have leg problems ask a doctor youll get 100 diffrent responces here and they will all be wrong.
secondly any kind of leg problem will be amplifyed buy the marching not being able to sit less you in the class room.
sorry m8 you dond have a hope in hell :(

Like my bro says you don't have a chance, in the legion even if you don't have knee problems your knees hurt you are allways jumping off the truck off obstacles running here and there.

Sorry but even if you take a paper from a Doctor the legion don't care they will say "You've had a problem it could come back"

They will not take the risk, the truth hurts.

Cpl K.....

POST CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.