a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION I want to send a letter

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello I know there is probably no chance can someone give me a adress where the guys after (definitive) can send a letter and ask for a second chance. I know there is probably only 1 % chance Legion to give you that chance but I want to try. I was there few years ago did I need to put exact date when I was there or month and year it's enough?

Regards.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Hello,
Try the search button. You will find a lot of old posts about writing to the Legion and the address.
You may be wasting yours and theirs time. Situation in France and everywhere else is far from perfect (Covid-19), so selection and joining suffer as well. Have that in mind.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Send a letter to :
M. le Général Commandant la Légion étrangère
Quartier Viénot
BP 21355
13784 Aubagne Cedex
France

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Send a letter to :
Quartier Viénot
BP 21355
13784 Aubagne Cedex
France
Thank you. Can I ask can I put a phone number or email on the letter simple because I can live in another address if they decide to give me answer back by the post.

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello,
Try the search button. You will find a lot of old posts about writing to the Legion and the address.
You may be wasting yours and theirs time. Situation in France and everywhere else is far from perfect (Covid-19), so selection and joining suffer as well. Have that in mind.
You are right, however I have interview and fitness test to do in Naval service in Republic of Ireland they also accept foreigners but during the Corona situation it's shut down and I will go whenever everything is back to normal I hope soon as possible. I know in France it will be the same with the recruitment but I want to try I was trying before few times.. and the result of commission at the end was definitive happens and j accept it but it will cost me a few coins to send a letter right ? Noth much to loose.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Thank you. Can I ask can I put a phone number or email on the letter simple because I can live in another address if they decide to give me answer back by the post.
Yes sure. Make sure to provide all details re your failed attempt to join (dates, which stage your reached in the selection process, etc.) and of course explain why you believe that they should reconsider their decision to reject your candidature with an “inapte définitif” verdict. Hope for some sort of a “miracle”, but don't expect it too much. Even in Lourdes, miracles are few and far between... :)

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Yes sure. Make sure to provide all details re your failed attempt to join (dates, which stage you’ve reached in the selection process, etc.) and of course explain why you believe that they should reconsider their decision to reject your candidature with an “inapte définitif” verdict. If you can write it in French, it would even be better. Then, you'll just have to hope for some sort of a “miracle”, but not expect it too much. Even in Lourdes, miracles are few and far between... :)

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Little update:
I was not able to find the papers to see the exact dates when I was there because I was failed a few times. However they are able to check my name on the computer and see my history there, I hope it's not a big problem. Anyway I will send the letter no matter what.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
(...) You have 3 chances basically. It's only if they give you inapte définitif that you cannot try, so is not a big deal if you failed.
So did you contact them to find out the exact date that you last tried and were given inapte définitif? If so, did you inquire more on this matter with them?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You have 3 chances basically. It's only if they give you inapte définitif that you cannot try, so is not a big deal if you failed.
OK, the second time was commission. What about the first time?
but it will cost me a few coins to send a letter right ?
If they gave you definitive, they must have given you a reason. As for the cost of sending a letter, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I suppose that the cheapest way is a basic tracking. No need to send with "acknowledgement of receipt". Just the fact that via the tracking you will know that it has arrived. The date doesn't matter so much. You can put just as well put down the spring of 2018 . In English will be fine. I would however ask someone who is in the habit of writing official letters to have a quick look through it. With it being, more or less an official letter, it should be typed.
Most of all you have to say that, for whatever reason you were not accepted, you have gone out of your way to correct it. Be it physical, you should say that you are now much fitter than you were before (make sure that you are). Be it aptitude, a white lie isn't a capitol offence; tell them that you had a huge argument with your parents before you left. That it is now all sorted out and that you have matured since.

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
OK, the second time was commission. What about the first time? (...)
One time I failed on the psychology test (on the computer) after 18 months I trying again but I make a mistake to train with more weight not running so I failed on beep test. Then again I tried go succeed thrue everything and commission give me definitive it happens. You are right the are probably a reason or just another guys was having better motivation who knows it is what it is I remember how I finish the conversation with the psychology guy we was talking like 15 minutes I think the last thing he said do you like problems ? I said no and he said problems like you 😂 of course I speak with the other guys waiting for the result of the commission they told me having way more stranger conversation with him but like I said it is what it is. I will send that letter I didn't espect to receive any answer soon during the Corona virus but I will put my email phone number in case they give me new chance.

So did you contact them to find out the exact date that you last tried and were given inapte définitif? If so, did you inquire more on this matter with them?
How can you contact them ? By phone ? I don't think they will be able to give you this answer by phone. However I remember which year I was going and month I remember my new name in the last time before receiving the inapte définitive discharge. They were giving me the paper with the new name and new city where I was born. It will be easy to check my history there.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I wouldn't wait if I was you, Now is the time to get an answer. Point out to them how dumb you were the second time, by doing weights instead of circuit training and that this time you know that you will pass all the tests.
I mean if you are going to try three times and you still do not know what is required...
No-one wants to hear about how you did not measure out the length of the running track or that you decided to work on bulk instead of all round fitness. Not in today's world of multimedia.
Just in case you are not aware - first contract is for 5 years.:)
But seriously, if you really want to get in, get the letter sent off now. Explain that you understand that you will have to wait until the confinement is over. Forget the macho look and as soon you can hit the running track.

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
I hope you understand I was pass successful everything after my mistake on the beep test commission decision is not my decision to leave or to fail on a test there a bunch of guys there too they from 40 people comission pick up 20 I think. However nobody knows the perfect receipt to get in someone said the motivation is most important someone says the running is important I will send the letter tomorrow my last question is because I am in Germany currently i leave my contact like email address and phone number I know there some people who get second chance after definitive in cause Legion decide to give me answer in which way do you think it will be on phone email or letter on adress ?

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Alright guys I send it today. It will be in France up to 3 days I can tracking online as well. Thank you for the help I will write if recieve any answer.

All the best

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi MatriXa, did you send the letter? Just out of curiosity did you find someone in Germany (although you IP still puts yo down as the UK) to check it over?
As for knowing what the recruiters are looking for? You are correct, no-one really knows. I certainly do not think that it is based solely on running. Motivation would play a big part, but then attitude will also play a big factor on deciding who will make it through. It has been said that you will be under scrutiny all the time that you are in Aubagne. Do not get motivation and attitude mixed up, they are two different qualities.
Anyway let us know how you get on.

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hi MatriXa, did you send the letter? Just out of curiosity did you find someone in Germany (although you IP still puts yo down as the UK) to check it over?
As for knowing what the recruiters are looking for? You are correct, no-one really knows. I certainly do not think that it is based solely on running. Motivation would play a big part, but then attitude will also play a big factor on deciding who will make it through. It has been said that you will be under scrutiny all the time that you are in Aubagne. Do not get motivation and attitude mixed up, they are two different qualities.
Anyway let us know how you get on.
I am with UK SIM and use the internet here its better plan than German SIM also don't want to change my number , that is why my IP shows you UK.I send it the Letter yesterday writing by myself and told the truth we see what can happen.. at least I tried. Thank you again for giving me the address where should be send.👍

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Update: When I send the letter with DHL I was using the basic tracking the Letter was in France on 23.04 but now I recieve this :

On April 23, 2020 you asked us to inform you by email about the current status of your shipment with the number ..

We now have the following information about your shipment:

The recipient could not be reached; the shipment was recorded on April 28th, 2020. It is being delivered in France or has been made available for collection.

Sincerely yours

I was writing this on the letter

Quartier Viénot
BP 21355
13784 Aubagne Cedex
France

If everything is ok what is the problem to deliver the Letter ?

MatriXa

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
So guys do you know eventually what is the problem? Is this the correct address I write it exactly like here on the letter so why the recipient cannot be reached..

Do you know where else I can try to send it ?