a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm doing it.

gslack93

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Alright gents. Today I decided **** it. I am getting the documents from my surgeries translated into French by a friend of mine who is a French national and owns a translating business, appointing a power of attorney, motorizing some documents with an immigration lawyer and booking a flight to Paris. I am going to leave sometime next month. I'll keep you all updated on the departure date which will be determined after I finish all the legal and practical tasks I have to do before I leave the States.

Salut.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Alright gents. Today I decided **** it. I am getting the documents from my surgeries translated into French by a friend of mine who is a French national and owns a translating business, appointing a power of attorney, motorizing some documents with an immigration lawyer and booking a flight to Paris. I am going to leave sometime next month. I'll keep you all updated on the departure date which will be determined after I finish all the legal and practical tasks I have to do before I leave the States.

Salut.

Bonne chance! Hopefully I might get to see you there in a few months.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hell yeah boss. What are you going to school for?

I'm actually still in high school. Doesn't make much sense for an American my age, but I'm looking for a challenge that actually gets me somewhere (as opposed to working crap jobs to put myself through community college).

gslack93

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm actually still in high school. Doesn't make much sense for an American my age, but I'm looking for a challenge that actually gets me somewhere (as opposed to working crap jobs to put myself through community college).

No, trust me it makes perfect sense. It is really hard to get in the US military right now due to sequestration and draw down, I've been trying for a long while now. In addition to that their are rumors that the GI Bill is going to be in jeopardy. I have friends who are enlisted and are being involuntarily separated due to the defense draw down. Right now my understanding is that the Legion is increasing its recruitment quota. If you do not have someone to co-sign either private or federal educational loans you are entirely ****ed. Don't even try to pay for community college and keep a roof over your head. I tried and it did not work out well. I basically have spent the last five years trying to find my way into a better position in the United States. I don't regret it but if I was you I certainly wouldn't waste your time like I did finding that out.

Best of luck to yall both

Thank you. :p

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
No, trust me it makes perfect sense. It is really hard to get in the US military right now due to sequestration and draw down, I've been trying for a long while now. In addition to that their are rumors that the GI Bill is going to be in jeopardy. I have friends who are enlisted and are being involuntarily separated due to the defense draw down. Right now my understanding is that the Legion is increasing its recruitment quota. If you do not have someone to co-sign either private or federal educational loans you are entirely ****ed. Don't even try to pay for community college and keep a roof over your head. I tried and it did not work out well. I basically have spent the last five years trying to find my way into a better position in the United States. I don't regret it but if I was you I certainly wouldn't waste your time like I did finding that out.

That's pretty much my thinking exactly.

I've done the math, and I have enough of a nest egg that I could set myself up to live alone, work, and go to school and be self-sustaining...with a really sh**ty lifestyle. While I've lived with little before, I'm not going to do it just so I could end up with a 2-year business degree that doesn't help me get a job and hasn't taught me anything. If I'm going to end up making terrible money doing crap work, I might as well do it in an organization I can believe in and that I'll be glad for when I'm older.

Plus, I just found out that my potential for being employed by the Fire Department was basically destroyed by me being born about two months too late, so it's not like I have many other options. And, with the Legion growing so much, why the **** shouldn't I try, you know?

Anyways, best of luck to you!

Canonnier

Reaction score
Home Country
Germany
Well, I don't know, but whenever I see people writing things like ''devilface ( I am Badass) I am doing it!'' I feell like the person is probably a outcast by society and/or is mentally unstable. I might be mistaken, but I tend to have quite a good sense of seeing what people really are.

gslack93

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well, I don't know, but whenever I see people writing things like ''devilface ( I am Badass) I am doing it!'' I feell like the person is probably a outcast by society and/or is mentally unstable. I might be mistaken, but I tend to have quite a good sense of seeing what people really are.

Damn man, you can sense who someone really is because of an Internet post? Shit you better get rich quick cus that is a cool skill. Must be nice!

gslack93

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That's pretty much my thinking exactly.

I've done the math, and I have enough of a nest egg that I could set myself up to live alone, work, and go to school and be self-sustaining...with a really sh**ty lifestyle. While I've lived with little before, I'm not going to do it just so I could end up with a 2-year business degree that doesn't help me get a job and hasn't taught me anything. If I'm going to end up making terrible money doing crap work, I might as well do it in an organization I can believe in and that I'll be glad for when I'm older.

Plus, I just found out that my potential for being employed by the Fire Department was basically destroyed by me being born about two months too late, so it's not like I have many other options. And, with the Legion growing so much, why the **** shouldn't I try, you know?

Anyways, best of luck to you!

I see a lot of myself in you at the age you are now. I had the same logic but I was so stubborn and hell bent on defying the odds I went ahead and tried anyways. as I said I don't advise it. It's noble but why struggle when you know you can make differemy sacrifices and struggle in a different way that will better you in the end.

Best of luck to you as well.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered

With a attuitude like that you never make Aubagne let alone instruction. Never judge a man he may have you back in the next firefight and untill you have shared that story who are you too judge,

gslack93

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
With a attuitude like that you never make Aubagne let alone instruction. Never judge a man he may have you back in the next firefight and untill you have shared that story who are you too judge,

That's is well put. The world is a strange place. Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.