a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Immersing" yourself in French

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Been studying French for an hour or more a day. I'm at the point that I can say simple sentences and describe people and things around me, which is really cool, but a big problem is that I have to think really hard to remember some of the words. When I string a sentence together, it comes out in chops like this

"Je dois...bois...du biere"

Instead of being able to say anything fast, it ALWAYS comes out in chops. So I started watching videos from language teachers. They kept saying "French is hard, you have to IMMERSE yourself in the language" but I don't know what the hell they mean

For those of you who showed up in France not knowing a word of it, or those who are self taught, how did you learn? It's seriously kicking my ass, and I want to be as close to fluent as possible before I leave. Fitness isn't a problem, it's just the language

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Understanding what's being said is more important than speaking. .to begin with anyway
When you do have to speak. .
It's usually pre defined phrases, such as
A vos ordres Chef
Je peut disposé , Chef
Présente Chef
Direction mon arme, un enculé

Take it as ît comes
Be open minded to others
Hanging out with just other anglophones isn't wise

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Immerse yourself , ideally work in France , if you cant then buy a decent language training package , Rosetta Stone or similar , watch movies in French but with English subtitles , buy French comics and do some simple text reading , learn the verbs , numbers , tune your ear in to listen to whats being said rather than telling yourself its just a noise, finally eat garlic and drink Kroneberg .

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Understanding what's being said is more important than speaking. .to begin with anyway
When you do have to speak. .
It's usually pre defined phrases, such as
A vos ordres Chef
Je peut disposé , Chef
Présente Chef
Direction mon arme, un enculé

Take it as ît comes
Be open minded to others
Hanging out with just other anglophones isn't wise

I'm going to look around for common French military phrases and make sure to memorize those

finally eat garlic and drink Kroneberg .

:LOL:(y)

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I studied French before I went. But I studied fucking babes at college and turning my student loan into beer more. Way more.
You won't believe how fast you pick it French up. If you know a few key words you can understand the gist of the conversation of any CCH.
I had orders repeated to me three times in a row before. They want you to understand cause they want the job done. Don't worry about it. Worry about getting there and bursting your balls to impress them. Note I said impress them, don't suck up to them. No real soldier likes a suck up.
Good luck brother.

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Watch French films with French subtitles.
http://filmfra.com/murs.html
I watch a couple a week to keep my ears in.
Start with the comedies, Le Diner des Cons is a good start.
Watch the body language and you will start to understand, the bit about Sassouer is classic French comedy.
Enjoy

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Great advice from both. Thanks a ton. Going to try watching some French movies and try not to stress being perfect at the language before I go.

Pongo, are you a Legionnaire, or you didn't make it?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Watch French films with French subtitles.
http://filmfra.com/murs.html
I watch a couple a week to keep my ears in.
Start with the comedies, Le Diner des Cons is a good start.
Watch the body language and you will start to understand, the bit about Sassouer is classic French comedy.
Enjoy
Another classic is le pere Noel est un ordure.

or this one :

Erika loves them.

One other way of learning French is by listening and watching the News. There is no slang and the news people have to articulate their words. Even better is if you can get Euro News. As it is more or less the same thing, unless there is a breaking news. You can first watch it in English and then French.
The same for France 24.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So I just gave it a shot, I've been watching a Legion documentary that's in French. Suprisingly, I am picking up a ton of words

Great advice, as always, from Cervens

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Another classic is le pere Noel est un ordure.

or this one :

Erika loves them.

One other way of learning French is by listening and watching the News. There is no slang and the news people have to articulate their words. Even better is if you can get Euro News. As it is more or less the same thing, unless there is a breaking news. You can first watch it in English and then French.
The same for France 24.
Can't open video Joe. Is that serial (movies) Le Gendarme de Saint-Tropez? I remember watching as kid. It was funny, then. Don't remember much, but Louis de Funès appearance it's funny by itself. (Also mocking of "les poulets" :))

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I studied French before I went. But I studied fucking babes at college and turning my student loan into beer more. Way more.
You won't believe how fast you pick it French up. If you know a few key words you can understand the gist of the conversation of any CCH.
I had orders repeated to me three times in a row before. They want you to understand cause they want the job done. Don't worry about it. Worry about getting there and bursting your balls to impress them. Note I said impress them, don't suck up to them. No real soldier likes a suck up.
Good luck brother.

Yep, work hard, no Sucking up.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It was a series of comedy films. All about the gendarmerie in St Tropez. Louis de fenes was a master of gimmicks.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Pongo said:
I didn't make it. I don't know if you can read my posts from years ago but why I didn't make it is in there. Entirely my own fault if you can't be bothered looking.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Well I looked through your threads for a solid 20 minutes and didn't find nothing

Oh right, probably the length of time that's passed.
I made rouge then got into an altercation with some English hating Ruski. I should have kept my hands in my pockets til the farm but there you go.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Oh right, probably the length of time that's passed.
I made rouge then got into an altercation with some English hating Ruski. I should have kept my hands in my pockets til the farm but there you go.

Permenant disqual?

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yeah man. No hard feelings towards the FFL. I was very impulsive in my youth.
The Anciens on here from back then said I tried to join the Legion 20 years too late :D

You're very mature and straight forward with yourself to think this way. You can at least find some solace in the fact that you made it, you went and tried

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I once or twice said to a female judge, ' ta gueule gonsesse. J'ai pas d' ordre de recevoir de ta part. Moins
que je voir ta tranche, le mieux je me porte'. Tu peut disposer
Women with authority detest and love when you talk to them, the way it should be