a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Important french words

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Merci. Looks very good. I'll be starting in earnest tomorrow. I've been on Duolingo for well over a year and just started Babble. I am still not as good as I think I should be. I always learn from Power points. Before I retired from the Fire Service and EMS a lot of our training was in that form.
Hi Trecker, I'm thinking about putting out a video on the French alphabet. Although it is similar in many ways to our own there are a few letters can that can lead to confusion notably GJ and i being confused. Not to mention those accents !
Fortunately there exists The International Radiotelephony Spelling Alphabet, commonly known as the NATO phonetic alphabet or the ICAO phonetic alphabet, is the most widely used radiotelephone spelling alphabet.

That is Alfa, Bravo, Charlie and so on. Brought into use by the civilian aviation in '56. Although try using that on French civilian o_O. I would very much advice any of those who are going to join to learn it.

a bit of history ▶️on the subject.

I will mention in the video (which I'm going to start work on right away !)* that you have to learn to be able to spell out your name using the ICAO phonetic alphabet & using the French Alphabet and be prepared - which will be one of the aims of the video - to spell out your new name.

* I like the idea, I'll rope in Erika for the pronunciation. Due to lack of interest shown for classrooms, it will be on YouTube.
I'm just sorry that I can't learn it in your place (I'm not talking about you here Trecker)
nothing better to do cropped.png unfortunately it will mean that you'll have to get your fingers out from your arses and do some learning !

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I wish I could help,you but my brain is sizzling from going back to school. I should have taken a French class but I’m going to school for audio production and French isn’t part of the curriculum.

Attachments

• 82396EC7-3FCF-48AE-AA8D-43221AA1BDCF.jpeg
    82396EC7-3FCF-48AE-AA8D-43221AA1BDCF.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 1
  • C0327DAC-D57F-4DC8-84E8-CC00371BA3C4.jpeg
    C0327DAC-D57F-4DC8-84E8-CC00371BA3C4.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1