a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inapte définitif - Why?

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Hi, I got discharged from selection a week ago and I'm really frustrated for not knowing why.
Three days before the comission I got called and sent civil. I still needed to do the psychologist interview and tent test. Caporal-chef said the reason was probably Gestapo but he didn't know exactly why.

My background: brazilian, 36 years old, medium fitness level, unfinished college, upper middle class (my father is a procureur de justice). Succesful brothers (one procureur and one medic). Worked shitty jobs all my life, mostly as computer technician. Never served the military.

It was my fourth try at Aubagne. The first 3 I didn't make it to blue because of luc leger as I weighted 90+ kgs. This time I made palier 7 (could do 8 but I made a mistake I was the only guy doing the sports test, the caporal-chef was talking to a caporal and I thought he said something to me when I crossed the line near him, I stopped for a few seconds looking at him, when I realized he didn't talk to me I tried to catch up the time by running as fast as I could to the other side, I made it before the beep but my energy was depleted). After I did 7 perfectly executed pull-ups (usually I do 10 but after luc leger is harder).

When I signed the contract I asked to see my result of psycotechnique: 96,37%.

I went civil in a monday, I did gestapo the week before, like 5 days before I think. The gestapo guy (spanish guy did all the interview in french) interviewed me for 1 hour and said it was finished I could go back to paradise (blue's paradise). The night before, I answered a questionnaire by putting some basic information about me and my family.

Here's how it went: first he made me pee on a cup and asked if I did drugs before coming: I said I smoked a joint one month before. Then, in his office, he asked me the jobs and date of birth of my parents, brothers and my french girlfriend. Asked where I lived and I said I lived in France as an illegal since my first try in Aubagne in November 2016. Found a french girlfriend in January 2017 and lived with her in Marseille in 2017 and in the countryside with her father. Worked small jobs like cleaning houses, moving furniture from houses, gardener, cutting grass and trees in farms, etc.
He never questioned me why I came for the legion. He asked me if I could speak english better than french and I said yes (I mentioned my known languages in the questionnaire) then he said: " tu parle tres bien français". Asked me if I had problems with the police and about debts I responded negatively. Made me pee again on the cup and asked me the frequency of the joints I smoke, I said it was rare maybe 1 every month, but in truth it's not even that but I was a bit panicked didn't know exactly what to say.

After I finished gestapo I thought it was great for me, I didn't lie about anything. A few days later I was wondering why it was so short, all my camarades where having long sessions for 2-4 days in gestapo.

Some days passed and monday I was expecting to be called for psychologist interview. When they called me it was for gestapo again! I waited there for my turn and the same spanish guy appeared again asking for anyone who could speak spanish or french, I said "me". He asked me what I was doing there, because I was finished he said, I said I had no idea and he sent me to paradise. A few hours later I got called again in the rassemblement, this time to go civil. I was shocked.
I worked really hard when I had to (got some 10's as score, sometimes the caporals tell you your score), volunteered many times, spoke 3 languages fluently (one caporal-chef at a job asked if I tried the french regular army before or came straight to the legion, I explained to him I couldn't because I am brazilian, he said he believed I was french because of my french!).
I was determined to become a legionnaire, I was gonna endure n'importe quoi for this chance of becoming someone proud of myself, someone my french and brazilian families would be proud. I really believed I was going rouge!

And, suddenly, 3 days before comission: definitif "ton profile ne correspond pas au besoins de la legion etrangere". I was shocked, until this moment I'm shocked.

2 years dreaming about this and it's over for me. I feel like my destiny was set the day I decided to be a legionnaire, didn't matter how hard I wanted, because of my family background and some stupid joints that I smoked while drunk I was chasing an impossible dream.

One week after leaving Aubagne, I still dream almost every night that I'm in Aubagne, with my discharge papers in my hand, begging for another chance but I'm always speechless in the dream I can't talk to anyone.

I'm leaving for Brazil, gonna marry my french girlfriend there in 3 months (she is so happy but I'm not because I failed the legion). Then I'm coming back to live with her in France with a renewed visa. Gonna continue training to be as fit as possible and gonna send a letter to the commander asking for a new try (caporal-chef said to do this). I know it's a long shot but I just need to try.

Anyway, why do you think I got discharged?
I believe it's about my age, drugs, good options in life. Any insight will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
This reminds me of a guy i know who went to a medical for an early disability Pension. He told me he told the doctor he loved running & Sport. The doctor acted nice & told him he was a Runner too. Got him where he wanted. Sorry but you shot yourself in the head. Anyone who says yes I took/take drugs to the Legion is a dumb Ass. The guy i knew never got his early Pension either... Get on with your life it's over Buddy Wake up & smell the coffee :rolleyes:.

Reaction score
Home Country
France
I'm dumb for telling the truth? So, instead I should've lied and maybe get caught in the drug test? Instant civil for lying.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You deserved to be kicked out being so dumb to smoke weed before going. Also telling them. What do you want people to say? Bad luck bro? Get real.

Reaction score
Home Country
France
What about camarades who used drugs before joining, getting caught in medical test and going blue? Why the Legion wastes time with those guys instead of rejecting them in medical? What about some camarades who used drugs, admitted and went rouge?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Diogo, sorry it didn't work out for you. In my opinion, it could be a mixture of reasons. I'd venture that at your age, 36 and and having tried previously 3 times and failing each time because of sport, Luc-Léger and probably pull-ups. Basically what they are saying is, “if you haven't learned your lesson after 3 times (sport wise) then there is no point in taking you any further.”
I know it sounds harsh, but you might as well face up to it. I'd be very surprised indeed if the general (or whoever deals with these types of situation on his part) would give you a 5th try. It's best that you start a new chapter in your life.

P.S : you say, “I still needed to do the psychologist interview and tent test.” What is the tent test?

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) “I still needed to do the psychologist interview and tent test.” What is the tent test?
This is a new test. A team of 6 people must assemble a military tent in 30 minutes. They give you all the parts and explain nothing.

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi, I got discharged from selection a week ago and I'm really frustrated for not knowing why.
Three days before the comission I got called and sent civil. I still needed to do the psychologist interview and tent test. Caporal-chef said the reason was probably Gestapo but he didn't know exactly why.

My background: brazilian, 36 years old, medium fitness level, unfinished college, upper middle class (my father is a procureur de justice). Succesful brothers (one procureur and one medic). Worked shitty jobs all my life, mostly as computer technician. Never served the military.

It was my fourth try at Aubagne. The first 3 I didn't make it to blue because of luc leger as I weighted 90+ kgs. This time I made palier 7 (could do 8 but I made a mistake I was the only guy doing the sports test, the caporal-chef was talking to a caporal and I thought he said something to me when I crossed the line near him, I stopped for a few seconds looking at him, when I realized he didn't talk to me I tried to catch up the time by running as fast as I could to the other side, I made it before the beep but my energy was depleted). After I did 7 perfectly executed pull-ups (usually I do 10 but after luc leger is harder).

When I signed the contract I asked to see my result of psycotechnique: 96,37%.

I went civil in a monday, I did gestapo the week before, like 5 days before I think. The gestapo guy (spanish guy did all the interview in french) interviewed me for 1 hour and said it was finished I could go back to paradise (blue's paradise). The night before, I answered a questionnaire by putting some basic information about me and my family.

Here's how it went: first he made me pee on a cup and asked if I did drugs before coming: I said I smoked a joint one month before. Then, in his office, he asked me the jobs and date of birth of my parents, brothers and my french girlfriend. Asked where I lived and I said I lived in France as an illegal since my first try in Aubagne in November 2016. Found a french girlfriend in January 2017 and lived with her in Marseille in 2017 and in the countryside with her father. Worked small jobs like cleaning houses, moving furniture from houses, gardener, cutting grass and trees in farms, etc.
He never questioned me why I came for the legion. He asked me if I could speak english better than french and I said yes (I mentioned my known languages in the questionnaire) then he said: " tu parle tres bien français". Asked me if I had problems with the police and about debts I responded negatively. Made me pee again on the cup and asked me the frequency of the joints I smoke, I said it was rare maybe 1 every month, but in truth it's not even that but I was a bit panicked didn't know exactly what to say.

After I finished gestapo I thought it was great for me, I didn't lie about anything. A few days later I was wondering why it was so short, all my camarades where having long sessions for 2-4 days in gestapo.

Some days passed and monday I was expecting to be called for psychologist interview. When they called me it was for gestapo again! I waited there for my turn and the same spanish guy appeared again asking for anyone who could speak spanish or french, I said "me". He asked me what I was doing there, because I was finished he said, I said I had no idea and he sent me to paradise. A few hours later I got called again in the rassemblement, this time to go civil. I was shocked.
I worked really hard when I had to (got some 10's as score, sometimes the caporals tell you your score), volunteered many times, spoke 3 languages fluently (one caporal-chef at a job asked if I tried the french regular army before or came straight to the legion, I explained to him I couldn't because I am brazilian, he said he believed I was french because of my french!).
I was determined to become a legionnaire, I was gonna endure n'importe quoi for this chance of becoming someone proud of myself, someone my french and brazilian families would be proud. I really believed I was going rouge!

And, suddenly, 3 days before comission: definitif "ton profile ne correspond pas au besoins de la legion etrangere". I was shocked, until this moment I'm shocked.

2 years dreaming about this and it's over for me. I feel like my destiny was set the day I decided to be a legionnaire, didn't matter how hard I wanted, because of my family background and some stupid joints that I smoked while drunk I was chasing an impossible dream.

One week after leaving Aubagne, I still dream almost every night that I'm in Aubagne, with my discharge papers in my hand, begging for another chance but I'm always speechless in the dream I can't talk to anyone.

I'm leaving for Brazil, gonna marry my french girlfriend there in 3 months (she is so happy but I'm not because I failed the legion). Then I'm coming back to live with her in France with a renewed visa. Gonna continue training to be as fit as possible and gonna send a letter to the commander asking for a new try (caporal-chef said to do this). I know it's a long shot but I just need to try.

Anyway, why do you think I got discharged?
I believe it's about my age, drugs, good options in life. Any insight will be appreciated.

Alright brother?

Let me start off by saying I’m just as knowledgeable as you on the matter of Legion reasoning if not less so. However if I were to gander a guess I’d say maybe you failed to show the qualities they were looking for. You are 36 and have already tried thrice, on your fourth attempt you clearly knew what was to be expected of you. The guy interviewing you must have summed up that you lack motivation or are on a piss take.

You knew there would be a drug test, you knew there would be physical tests at your advanced age you should have been better prepared. This may have been interpreted as you showing lack of motivation to learn or self govern.

I’m in no way disrespecting you, but having stayed in France illegally taking a big risk, why not go all out on fitness and stay away from the herbs. You knew these things were coming, why not “live like a legionaire” for the time leading up to trying?

Anyway like I said I’m merely speculating. Good luck on your future endeavors. If you allow me to be frank, I don’t think you wanted the Legion as badly as you say you did....at least that’s what your actions indicate.

All the best.

Tent test you say?

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) Tent test you say?
Like I said, in a team of 6, you have 30 minutes to assemble a military tent with the parts they give you. It doesn't disqualify you if your team fails, but it give you points if you show you can work in a team and can use signals to overcome the language barrier.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
'there are three tents put together here, does this look like what they ask you to put together?

1539506765754.png

1539506956891.png

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I would have thought the fact the OP admitted they use drugs was the reason he was knocked back. I'm 99.9% sure you have zero chance of getting into the British Army if you were found the be a drug user. Look at from the Legion's point of view. Why would you sign up a known drug user when you have the choice of thousands of men who aren't?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Yes! We are not allowed to see the others doing the test and I didn't do the test myself,but one time we went running to lunch and we could see a bit.
As an ex-caporal chef, that was just one of my many specialties :rolleyes::whistle:. Although I I was the guy giving orders, it's very basic. Like anything , you have to see it once.
I'll try and find something on you tube or google on how to put them up. It might come in handy for the others. They are called either tente Modulaire or depending on type guitoune modele 56. otherwise, it will be down to the old fashioned drawing on a piece of paper.

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Like I said, in a team of 6, you have 30 minutes to assemble a military tent with the parts they give you. It doesn't disqualify you if your team fails, but it give you points if you show you can work in a team and can use signals to overcome the language barrier.

I remember a similar test for the British Army. They gave us rope, drew a large square on the ground and put an item in the middle and then asked us to extract the item without setting foot inside the square only using the rope. We couldn’t drag the item out but had to lift/carry it out the square. They had loads of these tests another was stacking numbered tires on a peg and we had to arrange them numerically without any touching the ground or something to that effect. Looks like the Legion is mixing things up.

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Well, I thought the Legion was for men who needed a second chance in life, that the legion didn't care what you did previously in life, only what you are going to do from now on. Things have changed apparently. If you have a perfect life, why join the Legion? If you made some mistakes, you aren't good enough for the Legion.
I don't care for weed. I can live without it. But yes, sometimes in a weekend, after a week of hard work I just wanna get wasted with alcohol and lose my judgement and people offer me some smoke I say what the hell.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
My thoughts... Age, drugs, fitness, weight gave you problems. Have a local girlfriend and your father and brother are "judges". Too late now to give you lessons... For the others, never admit to smoking dop, even better, tell them you do not even smoke cigarettes... (yeah, lie if you have to).
Single and no kids. Don't boast family influence either. Stop all excessive habits at least 3 months before going, tobacco, booze, dope and wanking.

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Well, I thought the Legion was for men who needed a second chance in life, that the legion didn't care what you did previously in life, only what you are going to do from now on. Things have changed apparently. If you have a perfect life, why join the Legion? If you made some mistakes, you aren't good enough for the Legion.
I don't care for weed. I can live without it. But yes, sometimes in a weekend, after a week of hard work I just wanna get wasted with alcohol and lose my judgement and people offer me some smoke I say what the hell.
Tough break, but it's no use fretting over shed milk. You have a new chapter to look forward to, going back to Brazil and your upcoming nuptials. Mazel Tov!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I would have thought the fact the OP admitted they use drugs was the reason he was knocked back. I'm 99.9% sure you have zero chance of getting into the British Army if you were found the be a drug user. Look at from the Legion's point of view. Why would you sign up a known drug user when you have the choice of thousands of men who aren't?
Exactly... Seems obvious but not to some it seems.... doh ! F*ck sake just tell them what they want to hear. No drugs, moderate drinker, run, swim live a clean life.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
First hi and thank you for sharing your story with us. There is some things you're saying which are not clear to me. You say the ‘Gestapo’ guy made you piss in a cup twice? Or you pissed once in medical and than again in the ‘Gestapo’, or?

What about camarades who used drugs before joining, getting caught in medical test and going blue? Why the legion wastes time with those guys instead of rejecting them in medical? What about some camarades who used drugs, admitted and went rouge?
So you say that there were guys positive on drug test and being accepted? Legion (unlike the UK army, apparently) have tolerance for drug usage in past, but I think that being positive on test when in selection is a disqualifier. I'm pretty sure that there was something wrong with your drug test. Which can't be if you truly smoked weed one month before.
I mean if you go there, know that you gone be drug tested and still turn positive. What will they think of you? “This guy is a junkie or he is not motivated enough or both of”. And that's true. If you can't stay away from drugs for 2-3 weeks (enough for clear drug test) before going, the maybe the Legion isn't for you.