a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Inapte Temporaire, Hiding in France

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Philippine
Okay think of this scenario. A young aspirant goes to France to knock on the doors of the Legion. He gets Inapte Temporaire and is told to come back in a few months. Bad news is he only has money for this single trip to mainland Europe. Have there been any aspirants who hid in mainland Europe with expired Schengen visas who waited for another chance to join instead of going back to their home countries?

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Where would you hide and how would live with no money? you`d have to work illegally and that would usually mean you would need to have contacts , as many businesses are closed due to covid it would be very difficult, and all of this going on whilst you`d have to work on improving your fitness level.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Agreed with Joe, plan accordingly. I went to france with only $300 in my pocket and a one way ticket, but you bet your bum I had a plan B and C.

P- Primary A- Alternative C- Contingency E- Emergency

Who am I kidding, even joe knows I threw myself to the fates

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Turkey
Okay think of this scenario. A young aspirant goes to France to knock on the doors of the Legion. He gets Inapte Temporaire and is told to come back in a few months. Bad news is he only has money for this single trip to mainland Europe. Have there been any aspirants who hid in mainland Europe with expired Schengen visas who waited for another chance to join instead of going back to their home countries?
Bad idea. If you get caught by authorities during your "stay" and if your visa is expired, you might never set your foot on French soil. I know this is easy to say but you better work a lot and do the whole procedure legally.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I can only assume that that was a hypothetical question? As Surfguy pointed out, where would you hide out and for a few months?
The legion doesn't need or want those that have not planned ahead, those don't have a plan B.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Agreed with Joe, plan accordingly. I went to france with only $300 in my pocket and a one way ticket, but you bet your bum I had a plan B and C.

P- Primary A- Alternative C- Contingency E- Emergency

Who am I kidding, even joe knows I threw myself to the fates
That was true, but You, like myself, LPN, Mark, Pink Floyd, Joe (and I'll leave it there) are how many among all those who go to join up? - wasn't that said by PM ? :unsure: ;) :)

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
I think the most common reason for an Inapte Temporaire is that recruits don't repare well enough. One has to work on his weak spots to avoid that status, so there should be no room for doubt when he enters those gates. I'm not saying that he mustn't have a Plan B, no - the volunteer must be able to back himself & be confident in his ability to do well at basic and impress the selectors. Prevention is better than cure; don't merely train hard, train smart.

⚡