a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Information

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
Hello guys, I am from Nigeria, I am resident in Greece with a permanent resident permit, I intend to go for recruitment in June, since I have shengen permanent permit, will I be allow to visit Greece during my vacation in order for me to do some of my tax paper work ??? Since I don't need visa and can travel freely out and into France just with my ID?? Guys please I need information about this.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Le petit caporal is probably drunk or in the process of entering said state, but he makes funny jokes and occasionally offers wisdom. I believe they confiscate all of your documents until you get to your unit, but after I don't know.

All I know is that no one leaves France without "RSM", or serving as a "recognized person". Meaning you have the birth certificate and are serving under your born name, and not as "Jean-Claude van Damme". From what I understand, this process takes 1 year or longer.

That information on RSM is posted on the website Foreignlegion.info

legion-recrute, the FFL's official website says something similar.

I hope this helps, and welcome once again to the forum.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Zeroni, I've made it a habit of not responding to those who haven't taken the time to introduce themselves. I'll make the effort on this one. The legion will take away ALL your Identification from you. You will be given a new name and a military ID card bearing that name.
As for PLD (leave) you will be allowed 20 days in your first year, in theory. When you will manage to get them in depends on a lot of things: Maneuvers, courses, deployments, week of service etc.
What usually happens is that the company will set dates out for leave. These are often before going on deployments - a week, and coming back from deployments two weeks.
After Castel, the time in your company plus 4/5 months overseas will mean that you are into your second year which will be 25 working days leave Minus the company leave, let us say for example that you still have 10 working days left.

You then go to the bureau major, which is the company offices with the dates that you wish to take leave. they will check with the company's planning and your planning (are you going on a course etc.) if all is good they will give you a leave request form to fill in and have it signed by your chef de section.
You will then go in front of the captain of the company who will OK the application.

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
He was joking.
Hahahahahahaha, I know he was joking, I hope this will be a great adventure for me since I always loved the military life, but its little bit strange since I have never been to France, I don't know anybody there, I bet it will be a great adventure.

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
Hello Zeroni, I've made it a habit of not responding to those who haven't taken the time to introduce themselves. I'll make the effort on this one. The legion will take away ALL your Identification from you. You will be given a new name and a military ID card bearing that name.
As for PLD (leave) you will be allowed 20 days in your first year, in theory. When you will manage to get them in depends on a lot of things: Maneuvers, courses, deployments, week of service etc.
What usually happens is that the company will set dates out for leave. These are often before going on deployments - a week, and coming back from deployments two weeks.
After Castel, the time in your company plus 4/5 months overseas will mean that you are into your second year which will be 25 working days leave Minus the company leave, let us say for example that you still have 10 working days left.

You then go to the bureau major, which is the company offices with the dates that you wish to take leave. they will check with the company's planning and your planning (are you going on a course etc.) if all is good they will give you a leave request form to fill in and have it signed by your chef de section.
You will then go in front of the captain of the company who will OK the application.
Thanks a lot, sorry for not introducing my self, please let make the introduction now, my name is zeroni, and I am a citizen of Nigeria, I am residence in Greece for over 15years.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Zeroni,

Welcome to the forum. Take heed from those who are in Green for they are those that have completed their contracts with honour and fidelity.

Some in Blue have served with other units and are interested in the FFL.

Some however often offer wrong information. So be circumspect, sit back and enjoy the banter.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hahahahahahaha, I know he was joking, I hope this will be a great adventure for me since I always loved the military life, but its little bit strange since I have never been to France, I don't know anybody there, I bet it will be a great adventure.
That shouldn't worry you. Majority of us going (hopefully) there are in same position. That might be problem if you going to France looking for some other job, but that is beauty of legion, you don't need to know anyone in France or French language in order to join.

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
That shouldn't worry you. Majority of us going (hopefully) there are in same position. That might be problem if you going to France looking for some other job, but that is beauty of legion, you don't need to know anyone in France or French language in order to join.
Thanks a lot

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Good evening, please how long does a legionnaires wait before going to their various regiment after retuning from castel??thanks
It used to be the same day. I'm told that they go to Aubagne for a few days before now.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You should be able to do a tax return online ...even for Greece ? if youve not been there for a year you wont have earned anything in Greece so filling in your return should be quiet easy , if you get accepted by the Legion you could notify the Greek Inland Revenue.

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
You should be able to do a tax return online ...even for Greece ? if youve not been there for a year you wont have earned anything in Greece so filling in your return should be quiet easy , if you get accepted by the Legion you could notify the Greek Inland Revenue.
Thanks alot , you are very correct I can do tax return online or also put a call to my logistics to do it for me, but since I am working right now,if I am accepted, I still have to go collect my sack letter from my job and also stop my house contract, but all this I can do during during Xmas period and i only need one day to rectify this, since my passport will be taken, but I will still have my permanent residence card with me, and I don't need a passport to travel within the shengen area,, thanks a lot friend for the advice

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Zeroni,
but all this I can do during during Xmas period
What Christmas period are we talking about? You might want to read up on some of the posts. If you are going to join in June, when you get to your regiment you will be a young legionnaire with a couple of months service at the most in your regiment.
As for your permanent residence card? You might want to come up with a plan because there is no way that the legion is going to let you keep it. Also if you use it to get into France, it may not show up in your passport and then you will have some serious explaining to do.
If you want my advice, I would get all this paperwork sorted and then go with a clear head.

Reaction score
Home Country
Nigeria
Zeroni,

What Christmas period are we talking about? You might want to read up on some of the posts. If you are going to join in June, when you get to your regiment you will be a young legionnaire with a couple of months service at the most in your regiment.
As for your permanent residence card? You might want to come up with a plan because there is no way that the legion is going to let you keep it. Also if you use it to get into France, it may not show up in your passport and then you will have some serious explaining to do.
If you want my advice, I would get all this paperwork sorted and then go with a clear head.
Thanks a lot,your advice is very helpful, I will do just that, thanks