a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
OK I will do just that, who is Joe??
Who the f*ck is Zeroni?! Only joking mate, there are two of us going by the name of Joe, Voltigeur and myself. ;)

Marseille, then take the road to Aubagne. Ask Joe for advice on route and where to stay.
It's a train, rather than the road. If you do decide to go let us know, and I will re-post the itinerary or you can look it up using the search function. As for going in Winter... :unsure: coming from Africa and if you have never been to Europe during the winter, not a good idea unless you have time to acclimatize.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
I saw ticket also to Strasbourg, I guess there is an enlistment center there too,
There used to be one in Strasbourg, I nearly went there myself to enlist again.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
There are French U.N. troops in Lebanon. It pays better and the living conditions are usually better. Great place to be for making scams on the black market.

Post Shitum : Marseille is in Africa... Or is that Africa is in Marseille?
In Marseille, avoid the rue d'Aubagne like the pest. It's been the downfall of many a poor boy.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
What is worth noting in the PILEs and PRLEs is that I'm sure that they have to follow a budget. Back in the day, they would just send practically everyone down to Aubagne and let them sort them out.
Since the wall came down and there is no shortage of candidates, I think (this is only my opinion) that the recruiting posts have been told to only send down those that they think stand a good chance of making it, which is why you are tested on pullups and given am IQ test.
In my day we didn't have the pullups test, but we were sent to the hospital (I'm talking about FdeN) for a check up and back in the fort we were checked for eyesight and color blindness.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
What is worth noting in the PILEs and PRLEs is that I'm sure that they have to follow a budget. Back in the day, they would just send practically everyone down to Aubagne and let them sort them out.
Since the wall came down and there is no shortage of candidates, I think (this is only my opinion) that the recruiting posts have been told to only send down those that they think stand a good chance of making it, which is why you are tested on pullups and given am IQ test.
In my day we didn't have the pullups test, but we were sent to the hospital (I'm talking about FdeN) for a check up and back in the fort we were checked for eyesight and color blindness.
Think you're correct Joe. They have much more candidates now i think than in your day so it's made harder to get in. Still there will be a few who slip through the net and still get in. I'm sure you & The others would still have passed anyway with today Tests. You being fit and all that. I honestly think you're the first commando Chef i heard about. Never saw any wearing the commando dagger Patch before. Was a couple in the artillery ex 29 guys.. So How come you never joined the paras or something wary? šŸ˜

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Think you're correct Joe. They have much more candidates now i think than in your day so it's made harder to get in. Still there will be a few who slip through the net and still get in. I'm sure you & The others would still have passed anyway with today Tests. You being fit and all that. I honestly think you're the first commando Chef i heard about. Never saw any wearing the commando dagger Patch before. Was a couple in the artillery ex 29 guys.. So How come you never joined the paras or something wary? šŸ˜
Long story short. I used to work after school and during school breaks in a cafe. The owner (an Italian by origin) was in the RACC as a cook (I feel I must remind all that I was a qualified chef). He told me all kinds of stories about his basic training and eventually, when the war was over his time in France.
I'd already made up my mind to join the army. So I opted for the ACC - they had since dropped the R for royal,
A major disappointment. so at the end of my 2 years apprenticeship, I asked to be posted to the Paras or the commandos. I even had the nerve to go up to the companys' (not the plural) offices and ask the affectations officer for the said postings.

As I said a long story short, I was eventually sent on my All Arms Commando Course and passed it but had to wait for a slot for another chef - commando trained or not! I got it and was posted to - after a short interval - RM Condor and went to Norway to do my 3 rd arctic warfare training... and the rest is history which I've already told.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Long story short. I used to work after school and during school breaks in a cafe. The owner (an Italian by origin) was in the RACC as a cook (I feel I must remind all that I was a qualified chef). He told me all kinds of stories about his basic training and eventually, when the war was over his time in France.
I'd already made up my mind to join the army. So I opted for the ACC - they had since dropped the R for royal,
A major disappointment. so at the end of my 2 years apprenticeship, I asked to be posted to the Paras or the commandos. I even had the nerve to go up to the companys' (not the plural) offices and ask the affectations officer for the said postings.

As I said a long story short, I was eventually sent on my All Arms Commando Course and passed it but had to wait for a slot for another chef - commando trained or not! I got it and was posted to - after a short interval - RM Condor and went to Norway to do my 3 rd arctic warfare training... and the rest is history which I've already told.
you are like Mark Wake a humble guy who does not brag. Most artic for me was Hohne ranges & Walking to the cook house :ROFLMAO: