a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting book ref: War in Algeria.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
" Historia ", the monthly magazine...has a spécial reportage this month about the war in Algeria, with the front page heading, " paroles de soldats " in kiosks now...not sure if it can be read on line, but If not, am willing to obtain a copy for any one wanting

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Thanks Caporal, I will look forward to reading your summary, But it was actually, of course, different being there and experiencing itin the raw. I expect my memoirs of the Algerian war to be out well before...........Hm

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I have read it and now contemplating (most of what is written, I already knew
Co written by, Benjamin Stora (Algierian Jew author ) and Tramor Quemeneur (teacher at the university Paris 8 )
Obvisouly, academical and philosophical and lacking in détails.
They, explain, thru conscripts correspondances, ,,,what the public opinion was /is (engagez volonteers, get exclude, except the etat major !
It was a disapointment !
Of only the few references to the Legion, was the politic of " la terre brûlé "...capitaine Léger, and his infiltration opérations (under the command of général Massu
Would be good if some one could post images of these individuals, so the bleu bites can understand better. .if such is possible!
Philippe ville, Jonny ?
Was one photo of crops burning by légionnaires, wearing képis, south of PV

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
I have read it and now contemplating (most of what is written, I already knew
Co written by, Benjamin Stora (Algierian Jew author ) and Tramor Quemeneur (teacher at the university Paris 8 )
Obvisouly, academical and philosophical and lacking in détails.
They, explain, thru conscripts correspondances, ,,,what the public opinion was /is (engagez volonteers, get exclude, except the etat major !
It was a disapointment !
Of only the few references to the Legion, was the politic of " la terre brûlé "...capitaine Léger, and his infiltration opérations (under the command of général Massu
Would be good if some one could post images of these individuals, so the bleu bites can understand better. .if such is possible!
Philippe ville, Jonny ?
Was one photo of crops burning by légionnaires, wearing képis, south of PV
Sorry, I don’t understand your last sentence, please clarify.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The only one photo in this review concernant the legion was
Légionnaires burning a field of wheat (no wheat = no couscous = no fellaghas = no problem) in the "zones interdites ", probally at Ain Terzine, Kabylle (Philippes ville ) must of been REP or REC ?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Written by 2 pacifiste with a narrow opinion ( trying to claim praise for the wisdom of their way of thinking

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Ok, there were declared zones interdites because there were areas where fellaghas could find food and shelter in the mountains. In some areas inhabitants would be moved out and housed in camps outside these areas. Livestock could be killed at will, and once the area completely declared interdite, anyone found inside it was presumed terrorist, and most likely shot at sight. Worked quite well, actually.

I’ll see if I find a couple of pics.

Well, can’t find a good one, so attach one one of myself patroling a cotton field in the zone interdite.

FFDF39B8-31D1-4C91-B70D-349A01C54F6F.jpeg

Last edited:

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
You wouldn’t want to mess with that one, would you?

Last edited:

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Would have to shave his arse first and brush his teeth
Ooh one of those, eh? I didn’t want to get you excited, just trying to illustrate my comment about the zone interdite.

But have a look at the tip of the barrel of that MAT 49. How would you have liked to have that rammed up your arse, eh? Getting excited now, eh?

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
You are good, both. Just don't get too excited. :)