a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing myself

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello my name is Dylan wimberly from Mississippi and I am leaving for Paris in a couple of months. I was kicked out of the marines for failing a drug test at boot camp. I made a drunken mistake at my going away party and smoked a joint. They kicked me out half way through training and I have tried re enlisting twice both times rejected because of this one mistake. Should I tell the interviewers about my situation or would I be sent home because of the drug use and Getting kicked out of my home military? I searched threads and could find no answer. I can do 17 pull-ups and 10.5 of beep test but I’m worried about my past.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Dylan and welcome to the forum.
I think that you have no choice but to tell them about your drug mishap. As long as nothing shows up on your tests in the legion! :mad: No need to tell us how long you've been clean.
Of course you won't find anything on the web concerning drugs in the legion. They are hardly advertising that they will take people who have a history of drugs and petty crimes etc. for obvious reasons.
Check out FlamaingAlpaca85's post for my recommendations on learning French.
Swimming all good? eyesight and teeth? etc,

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Dylan and welcome to the forum.
I think that you have no choice but to tell them about your drug mishap. As long as nothing shows up on your tests in the legion! :mad: No need to tell us how long you've been clean.
Of course you won't find anything on the web concerning drugs in the legion. They are hardly advertising that they will take people who have a history of drugs and petty crimes etc. for obvious reasons.
Check out FlamaingAlpaca85's post for my recommendations on learning French.
Swimming all good? eyesight and teeth? etc,
Yes sir I have good teeth and good eye sight and have been swimming since a child. I do have pectoral excamvatum which is a slight indention in my chest but I played football 10 years and passed physical for marines. I also went and got a physical a few months ago and a ct scan on my chest with a dr. Note saying it’s just cosmetic and I’m fit for physical activity. Also gave me a disc of the ct scan so the legion will have access to it. I know a couple hundred French words and can count to 50 but I will look at the thread and practice more before I leave. All I think about and watch is legion movies and trading videos I’m obsessed and would do anything for a 2nd chance

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yes sir I have good teeth and good eye sight and have been swimming since a child. I do have pectoral excamvatum which is a slight indention in my chest but I played football 10 years and passed physical for marines. I also went and got a physical a few months ago and a ct scan on my chest with a dr. Note saying it’s just cosmetic and I’m fit for physical activity. Also gave me a disc of the ct scan so the legion will have access to it. I know a couple hundred French words and can count to 50 but I will look at the thread and practice more before I leave. All I think about and watch is legion movies and trading videos I’m obsessed and would do anything for a 2nd chance
Training *

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
No need for Sir or Mr Cosgrove, Joe is fine. There is one thing having vocabulary, but you must learn also sentence structures and verbes. No need to go overboard with the verbes, pick the ones that you think will be the most common and learn the present, simple past and simple future. No need to get carried away and getting yourself muddled up.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
No need for Sir or Mr Cosgrove, Joe is fine. There is one thing having vocabulary, but you must learn also sentence structures and verbes. No need to go overboard with the verbes, pick the ones that you think will be the most common and learn the present, simple past and simple future. No need to get carried away and getting yourself muddled up.
Thanks joe should I bring my discharge papers or does it matter

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It depends on what it says on your discharge papers. If they are really rubbing your face into the ground, perhaps it would be best to leave them at home.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Oh, I believe you. But the last section of a DD214 tells a lot more if you know what to look for. Certainly, the 'gestapo' can read a 214 by now. So I'd like to see what yours says before I give my opinion of either 'sure, go ahead and show 'em' or 'maybe deep six that sh*t'.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Oh, I believe you. But the last section of a DD214 tells a lot more if you know what to look for. Certainly, the 'gestapo' can read a 214 by now. So I'd like to see what yours says before I give my opinion of either 'sure, go ahead and show 'em' or 'maybe deep six that sh*t'.
I only have the the top sheet and the physical but yea if you think I should just shut up I will. I thought legion wanted motivated people looking for a 2nd chance in life so there would be less chance of desertion. Figure all the goody goodies would just join their own military. I want to make a career out of it but I will pray

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello my name is Dylan wimberly from Mississippi and I am leaving for Paris in a couple of months. I was kicked out of the marines for failing a drug test at boot camp. I made a drunken mistake at my going away party and smoked a joint. They kicked me out half way through training and I have tried re enlisting twice both times rejected because of this one mistake. Should I tell the interviewers about my situation or would I be sent home because of the drug use and Getting kicked out of my home military? I searched threads and could find no answer. I can do 17 pull-ups and 10.5 of beep test but I’m worried about my past.

No real names, NO! Plead with Joe or Rapace to delete this and start over.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It depends on what it says on your discharge papers. If they are really rubbing your face into the ground, perhaps it would be best to leave them at home.

Joe, and all, what happens is that once you enlist in the Marine Corps you are drug tested at the time you do you physical and testing. If clean and you pass all you are enlisted. If you told the recruiter you smoked weed and declared it before you enlisted, you will get a waiver. At that point your past is forgiven and you prepare for boot camp. Once you get to boot cam p you are tested immediately, the results are not known for a few weeks, this is unfortunate, most that test positive at boot camp are discharged immediately, likely a general discharge. You see when you enlisted you were forgiven, you had a waiver, if you do drugs in your delayed entry time or right before boot cam and you are found out, it is 100 percent an automatic discharge.

I have no idea if the Legion checks other services, the United States Military for discharges. Is this a 50/50 thing here, do you keep your mouth shut or do you just upfront tell the truth so you do not slip up a couple of interviews later in the Legion recruiting process.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

You get a re-enlistment code that is very bad and I am sure the Legion may know of the classes of codes.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It says fraudulent enlistment but nothing about drugs

But you see, this is a weakness the Gestapo will exploit...Why was it a Fraudulent Enlistment, what did you hide, why did you lie, are you wanted, and so on.......