Introduction - 18 Year Old American

I've slowly realized this but you need to dissolve any and all of your ego; a general statement of course, not directed solely at you. Pick at the armor you wear: the achievements, the recommendations, the certificates, the "things" that you measure your worth with, and just huck most of it out the window. Go there metaphorically naked, but determined, moldable, and quietly strong. Desperate but proud, lol. I was keeping contact with a guy who joined the Legion a few weeks back, former USAF, and I haven't heard back from yet which means, he's still there. A guy with a ton of options, honorable service, a good family with money, a clean record, and he's made it through. You've got this! Keep quiet, surround yourself with good people (apparently not the Nepalese or people who talk too much sh**, lol) and just have a simple story, simple timeline, and remember less is more. Disclaimer: The poster is not a legionnaire. If his advice is garbage, and has potentially ruined your life, please note that this disclaimer absolves the poster of any and all responsibility for your devastating failure.

DCLXVI,

If I remember correctly, you are one of the few American Legionnaires on the forum. Is there a reason for this being "laughable"? I am not familiar with your story, but what makes you say that it is nonsensical for me to fly to Aubagne?

Wadesimmons,

Remember you can always do a couple of years in the US military and then join the Legion. It's not like the Legion is going anywhere. Your decision.

My story isn't important. If you have the option, ability and sense, join U.S. Marines, or Army.
As an American, would it help if you had some legal trouble back home that would prevent you from joining the US military, but that does not fall into the auto-rejection categories of murder, sexual and drug crimes?

Papillon

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Wadesimmons,

Welcome enjoy the forum. Joining at so young an age with no preconceived ideas can work in your favour. This coupled to your personal history may make you ideal for the FFL indoctrination and service ethos. Good luck.
Totally agree I was 24 lots of younger guys one became one of the youngest Sargent in the REP also their were some young Americans not joining your home army will not affect your chances in my view, quite the opposite I still think a lot of us British were ex army and old dogs and new tricks sometimes hard but manageable You don’t have the baggage go for it I would say ASAP but June will be a lot sooner than 99% on here that’s for sure 👍

jonny

Legionnaire
Well, I joined the legion at 16 myself and was a decorated paratrooper in Algeria before I was 18. Can’t see any problems with your age if you are up to it mentally.
Cheers, mate, just go for it.

Totally agree I was 24 lots of younger guys one became one of the youngest Sargent in the REP also their were some young Americans not joining your home army will not affect your chances in my view, quite the opposite I still think a lot of us British were ex army and old dogs and new tricks sometimes hard but manageable You don’t have the baggage go for it I would say ASAP but June will be a lot sooner than 99% on here that’s for sure 👍
So as an American, how do you overcome the hurdles to your nationality getting selected? DSPLE is reluctant to recommend you because you are a high desertion risk. So what do you need to say/be/do in order to convince them to recommend you to the selection committee?

Papillon

Legionnaire
So as an American, how do you overcome the hurdles to your nationality getting selected? DSPLE is reluctant to recommend you because you are a high desertion risk. So what do you need to say/be/do in order to convince them to recommend you to the selection committee?
I don’t have an answer to help you.

I have no intention of joining a US branch, but I am aware that the option being there is one of the biggest reasons I could be turned away. I remember reading a thread here about being honest in the interviews vs giving them what they want to hear. I am willing to change a few details about my life to assure that they see me as someone who is coming to them more as a last resort and only option, but what is your advice on doing that?
Think about it this way: how desperate are you?
Are you desperate enough to sugar coat your story?

For sure I am. I don't think me despising homosexuals, women wanting free tit lifts and transvestites is enough to convince them. My country's army would rather take those people instead of fully functioning men for "equal rights". They will make us sit on our arses waiting for years working dead ended jobs to even get a chance.

Jesus, I could go on. They make the selection process such a "safe space" that they cut off the beep test at level 10. Apparently they tell you to stop doing the assessment once you reach the bare minimum. Are they making soldiers or pooftas?

I forget that this isn't a place for venting. But I hope you get what I mean. Desperation is subjective

USMCRET

I have no intention of joining a US branch, but I am aware that the option being there is one of the biggest reasons I could be turned away. I remember reading a thread here about being honest in the interviews vs giving them what they want to hear. I am willing to change a few details about my life to assure that they see me as someone who is coming to them more as a last resort and only option, but what is your advice on doing that?
To help your case and to get selected do you even know if you are qualified to join, let's say the Marine Corps my service of choice and my soul. If you have a disqualification to join the US Armed Forces and with your story you may have a good chance. Anyway, you said one thing in your post that is very spot on, EVERYDAY will not be fun or exciting. Many go and then come back and complain about the Legion but fail to realize it is prevalent in most elite military organizations, why do you think we called the Marine Corps the Suck?

Good luck

Last edited:

USMCRET

Also, where are the stats that Americans desert more than any other nationality in the Legion. Is it fact or is it conjecture or myth?

Hi WadeSimmons,
I'm planning to join the Foreign Legion too. I was planning this since many years, but circumstances didn't permit me then. I'm planning to make the trip late Jan'19. Hoping to meet you there.

Thank you very much for the advice RickyN7

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place. It seems to be the only way to post anything, but I very well may be wrong. I am an 18 year old American and my trip to Aubagne is booked for June. I am aware that some of these things have been addressed, but I just want to include a thorough background for my first post. My family/deceased relatives have been involved in every major conflict that the US has been a part of, so I knew from an early age that it was for me. When I was about 14, I stumbled across the FFL and have not doubted my decision to go since. I have no contact with my mother, and my father left me to live on my own since I was 16, and I have no real opportunities here or anything to anchor me here. I am expecting to be told to join a US branch, but I am sure that you all are familiar with the stubbornness of us wannabe's. I am not seeking adventure and I know to expect neither an easy or always-enjoyable experience. This is something that has determined me for years and I cannot imagine myself doing anything else. My fitness is where it needs to be, I'm confident in my mental ability, and I have nothing back home to give the Legion a reason to beleive I will desert (apart from being an American). Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and any feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTES

Before anyone reads this i just want to say that i have not served in the legion (although i have been considering it for years, and at some point was very serious about it) What im gonna say is purely a "theory" so to speak.

I noticed that a lot of people are telling young wannabe's like myself and others that the legion is not like we see on TV or read in books etc.. Which i totally understand because what crowd would want to watch or read about all the boring stuff right?
Anyhow, isn't that how it goes for most armies around the world? and the reason why many seem to think its only present in the legion is because many people who go there have not served previously so they have no experience from previous service that lets them know that army life is in general boring.
Or am i totally wrong here and the legion contains significantly more boring work/time than other types of service?

With that said, the little military experience i have is 1 year in my own country's military (which is mandatory) so it can't really be compared to a more serious service like the Royal marines, or Marines. I also want to add that i have been absent from this forum for a long time now, allthough i have been regulary checking in, i reopened my account just now to post this, because this topic has interested me for a while.

As always, thank you.

Before anyone reads this i just want to say that i have not served in the legion (although i have been considering it for years, and at some point was very serious about it) What im gonna say is purely a "theory" so to speak.

I noticed that a lot of people are telling young wannabe's like myself and others that the legion is not like we see on TV or read in books etc.. Which i totally understand because what crowd would want to watch or read about all the boring stuff right?
Anyhow, isn't that how it goes for most armies around the world? and the reason why many seem to think its only present in the legion is because many people who go there have not served previously so they have no experience from previous service that lets them know that army life is in general boring.
Or am i totally wrong here and the legion contains significantly more boring work/time than other types of service?

With that said, the little military experience i have is 1 year in my own country's military (which is mandatory) so it can't really be compared to a more serious service like the Royal marines, or Marines. I also want to add that i have been absent from this forum for a long time now, allthough i have been regulary checking in, i reopened my account just now to post this, because this topic has interested me for a while.

As always, thank you.
Well, a general rule of thumb I follow is if it is a governmental institution it is gonna be boring as hell. La Legion is a governmental institution so it is gonna be boring, Catch is, however, some governmental institutions are more boring than others. Good example, my country's army. Usually, something that's done in two hours is done here in at least 7. Be it a certain training, an exercise, shooting range, running, paperwork etc. Maybe in la Legion is will only take 2 hours maybe 3 or 5 but I doubt it would take more than it takes here. I mean 40% of service here is solely based on standing in the sun for hours. Even if you're a paratrooper or special forces doesn't matter. Some people nearly spent all their service here (1-3 years depending on what sort of education you finished) standing "entebah" (Arabic for attention) in the sun from 7 AM till 5 PM

As always, thank you.
Mate think about it this way: anything "cool", "macho", or "hardcore" isn't really what it seems. For example (true story), some 16 year old guy picked up boxing for a couple months and declared that he wanted to dedicate his life to a career in boxing. This guy hasn't stepped in the ring for sparring btw, and when he did, he really changed his opinion about boxing in general (hasnt showed up to the gym since).

Pretty sure anyone who genuinely has a passion for boxing is a bit of a masochist imo. Boxing is a rewarding sport, same goes with the legion. Maybe not materialistically, but more so spiritually. Though why you take on any of the two is pretty subjective

Everything has more than meets the eye.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire

As always, thank you.
The legion is much the same as any modern army, lots of training to go to war and then waiting around for someone to send them to war. What to say. The legion would look pretty bad going to, for example, Mali without having been trained for it. At the moment the legion is spread out in a few places, which is good and makes a great change from routine barrack life in France.

But not everyone goes, Those that finish basic training and go to the music in Aubagne are going to see a lot less of Mali than someone in 2REI or 1 REC. And of course there is always a rear guard left behind.

The legion is much the same as any modern army, lots of training to go to war and then waiting around for someone to send them to war. What to say. The legion would look pretty bad going to, for example, Mali without having been trained for it. At the moment the legion is spread out in a few places, which is good and makes a great change from routine barrack life in France.

But not everyone goes, Those that finish basic training and go to the music in Aubagne are going to see a lot less of Mali than someone in 2REI or 1 REC. And of course there is always a rear guard left behind.
Thats kinda my take on it aswell, it depends on what you are in the legion. I think those who don't see the value and meaning in everything you do besides war fighting, which is training, exercise, maintenace and cleaning gear, guard duty etc.. Those that do not see the purpose or feel the importance of these tasks and only crave instant action won't like it.
Same goes for other things like wanting to be a boxing pro like Ski mentioned, you have to want the whole package.

Anyways, thanks for good answers, i think i derailed the topic in this thread a bit so i'll stay quiet.

Routine kills ? Cleaning and inspections are part of evry day life in the army,even when out on the field doing the same old exercises. Drill is routine and it's boring but practice makes perfect. ..

Most viewed threads of the week

Top Bottom