a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction with a few questions

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hi everyone,
I've just joined the forum and decided to introduce myself. Perhaps ask a question or two as well.
I'm 32 years old, ex-military, now working in the IT support sector in Bulgaria, married with two wonderful boys. For the standards of my country I have a pretty nice life (my own apartment, good car, well paid job for Bulgaria). But the truth is that I always wanted the return in the military. I served in the Bulgarian infantry from 2007-2012 with one deployment in Afghanistan 2009-2010 and I would've never left but in my country the government decided that we don't need an army. So they shut down a lot of military bases in Bulgaria. Basically there is no military to return to. For several months I've been reading information about the FFL, watched several documentary films as well. My decision is to have a go at it next year and hope that the FFL accepts me. Physically I'm in pretty good shape (running, 10-11 clean pull ups) only my French is no go for now (have to take a few classes). And here are my questions J
1 Papers – ID card , passport do I need anything else (Bulgaria is in the EU)?
2 Medical - I had to remove my right testicle 1 year ago due to an injury (let's say my son trains karate and he is not very careful when we sparr … ) is that a no go ?
Any other tips will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Hi Georgi,

You know that the Legion enlists men considering that they are single with no children. So, if you decide to join, be prepared to live away from your family for very long months, in particular in the first year of so. You will only be able to visit them when you get a PLD (Permission de Longue Durée, Long term leave). Can you stand it? Can they stand it?
Your age is within the limit, but don't wait too long. Keep in mind you'll be in competition with other candidates in their 20s. Be also prepared to be pushed and shoved and yelled at by caporaux or caporaux-chefs that may be 10 years younger than you. No problem with that?
If you can do 7 “clean” pull-ups and reach at least level 7 at the Luc-Léger test, you're good from a physical point of view. From a medical standpoint, I would suggest, if you can, to bring documentation explaining why one of your testicles was removed. If they suspect that this may be due to some disease like cancer, they'll probably reject you. Then of course you'll need to pass the psycho-technical tests and the security and motivation interviews.
If you have a valid passport, it's all what the Legion is asking. Check however if you need a visa . Probably not, since Bulgaria belongs the EU, but double checking with the local French consulate would avoid any bad surprise. Learning some basic French may make your life easier, but it's not mandatory.
So now... It's up to you.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
At 32, Kids as you say a good Job. Stay at home. You've made your choice and Kids grow up fast. Enjoy your family life. Only time i would go as a married guy is if i was going to Split up.. This is not the case with you.

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Thanks for the quick reply
The truth is that after a year or so I'll live my country to work in a different one either way (most probably the UK). Can I stand being away from my family Yes (not saying it will be easy). Can they stand it Yes (either way we will be separated for a long time). Can I stand the yelling and the pushing absolutely Yes . Haven't tried the Luc-Léger test but I promise to have a go at it. The psycho-technical tests and the security and motivation interviews don’t worry me much there's nothing to hide there. I’ve visited France the visa is not necessary. So only the medical documentation will be a bit of a hassle.
Motivation for joining the FFL:
I always wanted to be a soldier and I was . Those years of sweat blood and hardship in the military were the best years of my life. There was no fake people with fake smiles thinking only for money there. Yes I will be away from my family for a year or two it will suck but the clock is ticking and I don't have much time. I what to show to my sons that you should not give up your dreams that easily when there is still time. That's my motivation for joining the FFL
Thanks again for the quick reply

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Haven't tried the Luc-Léger test but I promise to have a go at it.
Download app in to your phone. (there's tons of them, all are good) Find somewhere marked handball court. (Shorter dimension is 20 m) Or simple measure and mark 20 m somewhere and you are good to go. Using headphones is advisable.

I’ve visited France the visa is not necessary
Bulgaria is in EU. You don't even need passport, let alone visa.

So only the medical documentation will be a bit of a hassle.

So, yes ... this could be a trouble. Online legion doctor can give you right info. My advice is to go without any papers, but with enough money for exam in France, if doctor send you for one.
If it's some comfort, your kid have good punch. :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Georgi and welcome to the forum.

I'm 32 years old, ex-military, now working in the IT support sector in Bulgaria, married with two wonderful boys. For the standards of my country I have a pretty nice life (my own apartment, good car, well paid job for Bulgaria).
I don't often advise against joining the Legion, however in your case I will. You have nothing to prove, you done your time in the military and now have a good life.
Bulgaria is in EU. You don't even need passport, let alone visa.
If you do decide to join you must take your passport.

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Thank you everyone for the replays.
So for the medical papers I spoke to a doctor yesterday. He said that I can get a medical exam that can be done in French (basically a full exam for work) and that it will be good to do full blood work as well.
Then I guess only the decision has to be made.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
If you do decide to join you must take your passport.
I do have, because I can't cross border (legally) without it. Is it passport necessary even for guys coming from France? I think birth certificate or something proving your identity is enough. I maybe wrong.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Thank you everyone for the replays.
So for the medical papers I spoke to a doctor yesterday. He said that I can get a medical exam that can be done in French (basically a full exam for work) and that it will be good to do full blood work as well.
Then I guess only the decision has to be made.
You don't need blood work in French. Do it just for yourself to see if everything is fine if, you want.
As for exam I'm pretty sure that you just wasting money and legion doctor (if he ask for exam) would send you to French civil hospital despite your papers, but I might be wrong.
Listening experience of guys with some medical problems it was always French hospital.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Georgi, my only advice is to just have a go at it. If it works, fine, you will find out about life in the Legion. Maybe it’s for you, maybe not. And if you are rejected, so what? Think of something else, it’s not the end of the world.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Didn't Hitler just have one b@ll, or was it just a rumour?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Re the passport issue, I remember having read on this forum stories from Rumanian candidates (Rumania is also part of the EU) saying that they were rejected at Aubagne for presenting themselves with only their Rumanian Id card.
So, if you already have a passport or can get one easily and quickly, why take a chance? Apparently, passports (in particular biometric ones) are considered “safer” than other documents which, depending on the country you’re coming from, could be more or less easily forged.