Introduction

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself here and get stuck in.

Currently I'm sitting the last year of a levels (UK) and plan to either join the Royal Marines of French Foreign Legion. I've always wanted to be a marine, however recently aftter doing more research it seems very likely that I may be declared TMU or PMU (temporarily/permanently medically unfit) due to going to the doctors when I was around 10 years of age for back pain. As well as this, recently (the last week or so) it appears I have some sort of eczema on my knuckles and thumb (can't go to the doctors as if they diagnose it as eczema then thats goodbye Marines full stop) which is also a bar to entry if discovered on the medical.

However, I do not really see the FFL as a plan B option, as I am still split between the RM and FFL as to who to go to first. I only recently found out about the FFL after a classmate told me about how her father had died while serving and I researched and became very interested in the Legion.

Fitness wise, I was going well until I pushed myself too hard and got shin splints last August, and recently messed up my shoulder. Neither of these are on my medical records as to go to the doctors about them would mean PMU. However, my shoulder is healing fast and soon I will be back to training hard. My 'stats' before I injured myself were 50 push ups to bleep, 85 sit ups and 12 pull ups. There is much room for improvement as you can see.

Apologies for the essay, but I hope I provided some useful background.

Thanks,
James

OP
C
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
With regards to questions, I have a few:

Will I need to provide medical records from the UK upon joining?
If the eczema (little red dots on hands) is present during the medical examination for the FFL, is that a no go?
What is the policy on 'raynauds disease' as I have found nothing online? I have not been diagnosed with it, but am fearful I may exhibit minor symptoms.
Is there anything I can do to increase my chance of being a successful applicant while still a student? (Extra skills etc)

Thanks.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Hi, Corona and welcome
The eczéma you have is minor, imo
Can be treated easily with corticoide cream
Avoid baths, swimming pools and hot water.Take showers and use tepid water
Dry correctly and use a hand moister cream. Especially in spring and summer.
Keep your towels clean
Avoid wool and synthétique clothing

OP
C
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
Hi, Corona and welcome
The eczéma you have is minor, imo
Can be treated easily with corticoide cream
Avoid baths, swimming pools and hot water.Take showers and use tepid water
Dry correctly and use a hand moister cream. Especially in spring and summer.
Keep your towels clean
Avoid wool and synthétique clothing
Thanks for the response thats made me a lot happier to now the eczema should be fine.

Is it ok for me to ask how you ended up in the legion? A north korean in the legion must be quite the story.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Corona and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how old you are but I would guess in your early 20's. If you do intend on joining the legion, make sure that you are 100% fit. The combination of Raynaud's phenomenon (I take your symptoms are in your fingers) and the eczema will bring up warning lights. I'm not a doctor but I'm sure if you turn up at the legion gates with these two diseases it will be a no go. Your best bet would be to try out in summer as I believe that the cold makes the Raynaud's worse. You will have no choice but to go an see your GP prior to going if you decide to go for the legion. He will be able to prescribe you with a treatment to calm the eczema.

Although the legion Doctor may see ten people a day, anything that catches his or her eye will be thoroughly looked into.

You do not have to take any medical records with you when you join. However that only means that the Doctor has to be even more vigilant.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Is it ok for me to ask how you ended up in the legion? A north korean in the legion must be quite the story.
[/QUOTE]

Am the son of a diplomat

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Corona

Welcome to the forum and good luck in all your endeavours.
I sincerely hope that you can overcome your medical problems.
Both units are excellent- but I am biased.;););)

Chas trained by former WW2 Cdos. 99% need not apply.

OP
C
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
Hello Corona and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure how old you are but I would guess in your early 20's. If you do intend on joining the legion, make sure that you are 100% fit. The combination of Raynaud's phenomenon (I take your symptoms are in your fingers) and the eczema will bring up warning lights. I'm not a doctor but I'm sure if you turn up at the legion gates with these two diseases it will be a no go. Your best bet would be to try out in summer as I believe that the cold makes the Raynaud's worse. You will have no choice but to go an see your GP prior to going if you decide to go for the legion. He will be able to prescribe you with a treatment to calm the eczema.

Although the legion Doctor may see ten people a day, anything that catches his or her eye will be thoroughly looked into.

You do not have to take any medical records with you when you join. However that only means that the Doctor has to be even more vigilant.
I am 17 and you are spot on with the raynauds. I only noticed it when I stood still for ages on a stupidly cold day. The eczema has only just appeared for the first time ever and is not noticeable, and seems (touch wood) to be leaving. I will do what you said and go at summer and ensure my hands are eczema free. Right now I'm just using the diprobase stuff my mum gave me and following le petit corporals advice. I can certainly understand the need for thoroughness with the doctor given the rigors of the training.
Corona

Welcome to the forum and good luck in all your endeavours.
I sincerely hope that you can overcome your medical problems.
Both units are excellent- but I am biased.;););)

Chas trained by former WW2 Cdos. 99% need not apply.
The 99% need not apply ad was one of my favourites and definitely cemented my ambitions to join one of the two.

Thanks all for the help and welcome, really appreciate it.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the response thats made me a lot happier to now the eczema should be fine.

A North Korean Legionnaire from Aberfeldy is even more unusual .

OP
C
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
Hi all thought I'd do a little update. With regards to shins, their on the mend after doing rigourous amounts of rehab exercises and stretches (which I continue still). My shoulder seems to be healing nicely, and my fitness stats are slowly starting to climb back up. I am hoping to apply in about 8 months time.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks for the update Corona. I've just had a thought, Corona is a beer, n'est ce pas? and Hot spice has a pack of Kro as his avatar, I used to have a Chang beer as mine, all that is missing now is a bottle of good old Serbian пиво and we can fête the tumbling of the Berlin wall;)
1573266490710.png

Живели
Cheers !

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Thanks for the update Corona. I've just had a thought, Corona is a beer, n'est pas? and Hot spice has a pack of Kro as his avatar, I used to have a Chang beer as mine, all that is missing now is a bottle of good old Serbian пиво and we can fête the tumbling of the Berlin wall;)
View attachment 5519

Живели
Cheers !

Živeli Joe, butt Sorry Joe, it's just not my beer. I have to admit it is second best here (If we count cheap beers).
Definitely # 1 is:

Zječarsko.jpg

Anyway beer from my region was THE BEST ins ex- YU, but someone somehow decided that is good idea to kill that brand :(. So now that brewery is closed. Others are bought by western multinational companies. so one you posted Joe having western badge on it, one i posted is made by Heineken group which was bought by surprise, surprise one small company called Coca-Cola. So ... if we continue this way soon enough everything we drink would be owned by Coca-Cola!

I can tell you... once western multinational companies come to my country all thing they made here are of much lower quality than we had them when those goods were imported.

I mean it's unbelievable! I have at home absolutely same Nescafe from here and from Austria. Believe me , that are not same. And guess which one is much better. :)

OP
C
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
I look forward to learning about all these other beers if I make it into the FFL 😁

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I look forward to learning about all these other beers if I make it into the FFL 😁
i always drunk in moderation in the army so i kept in shape but i knew guys who drunk like a fish. one was a cross country runner !! was fit as hell. a skinny weed though . drunk Asbach brandy & coke like water. remember me & him sitting on a ferry to the UK drinking a bottle of Apfelkorn.