JOINING Introduction

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hey members, légionnaires, and more. I am just saying hello to the forum as I have been a "lurker" for about a month lol. I am born and raised in new york in the U.S. i understand the differences and would appreciate avoiding the "Why not the U.S. Military question?" I have been learning french and training physically(just running, push ups, and sit-ups). With what I need to finish and taking finances into account I am looking at about an august departure. I am unsure if this is rumor or fact but I heard winter might be easier due to the lower volume of recruits. Might leave at by the end of october knowing this. However, one thing is for sure I am going to try and do my best. I want to be there and hope to be lucky enough to be offered a 5 year contract.

OP
B
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
By the way I am 24 can do a good 8 clean pull ups hands facing away and I can run 1.5 miles in just over 8 minutes. I have yet to time a 3 mile run, but have run longer. I have not practiced the luc leger yet however I am not worried since I am familiar with it as I had to do it in school. I am also aware actual final standards i believe is a 2700km run not sure of the time off of the top of my head or if the distance I am saying is 100% correct.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Born-for-This and welcome to the forum.
Why not the U.S. Military question?
Will be asked by the recruiters. If you are comfortable with the running, pushups and situps, why not try varying your work out - pull ups :whistle:, I mean it is a classic.

Edit, I see you had added while I was writing, so ignore my statement about the pull ups.

OP
B
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I understand this well I can't join I got a dwi but it got dropped to a lesser charge so I do not have a criminal record but the U.S. Military cares what you were arrested for not the final charge, unless it was dismissed of course. So to the public i have no record but to the U.S Miliary I do. So there are waivers that are possible but not guaranteed. Since I have came across the FFL I understand the differences to the best of my ability with about 3 months of sometimes daily hours of research, watching documentaries, etc. I do not really have familly here so leaving isn't an issue. I have wanted to be in the military as long as I can remember and France is one of our oldest allies. I mean i see the statue of liberty everyday. This is what I want. I also have the luxury of a friend whose mom lives in paris 75% of the year for work and he stays here. She returns here once in awhile. It's good for my french.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Yeah DWI and DUI really mess with you. Marines or Army might let you in, but you'll need a waiver. You'd be surprised how many people have either one of those in the military. It is a lot.

I'd get the pull ups to a higher rep count. 15 is solid, I'd say, and you'll do better than most. I would still practice luc leger so you can turn properly, and get the muscle memory in so you know how to pace yourself. Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Bonne chance.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Born_For_This,

Welcome to the forum. Ask sensible question to those in Green, for they are contractual veterans.
Enjoy the banter and ignore the stupid comments which infrequently appear.

I hope you are born for it and I wish you good luck.;)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
No, a DWI/DUI in the Marine Corps means get another job. You may get one and are allowed to ride out your contract, but in the vast majority of the cases you are ushered to the door

OP
B
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Yeah exactly only army you have a chance. Thanks for all of the tips guys. I never thought about the rope practice thats a really good idea. I am definitely going to look into that. Wow thank you I didn't realize how much I would learn from a simple post. This community is amazing.

Most viewed threads of the week