a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• WARNING

We have been alerted of inappropriate behaviours on the forum. We firmly condamn any form of agressivity, harassment, threats etc...
    Members will be banned if they don't follow the rules (see rules agreement during registration setup)

Introduction

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello all.

I am a 24 year old American wanting to join the Legion. I have thought about this on and off for a few years, but have to continued to dig a deeper hole for myself over and over again. I am the black sheep of my family and want to leave my past behind by joining the elite.

I grew up in a small two bed, one bathroom farmhouse in the rural part of my country. My mother and father separated at my birth. My mother was 16 and my father was 17 years old. My father wanted an abortion but my Catholic mother said no. Growing up, my mother constantly talked shit about my father to me. This made me resent her and strained our relationship.

I started working in the corn fields for when I turned 12 years old. I played American football, wrestled, ran track, and played baseball from a young age. I can ride horses and bulls, shoot rifles and pistols, and have a general knowledge of mechanics. I took two years of French in high school and excelled at history and biology. Having a strained relationship with my mother, I have been on my own since I graduated high school when I was 17 years old.

I enlisted in the United States Army as an intelligence analyst immediately after graduation. I let my attitude and feelings of invincibility mold me into thinking that I knew more than my non-commissioned officers. I received multiple Article 15’s under the Uniform Code of Military Justice for being late to or not showing up to accountability formations. After 18 months, I was given a General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions.

After being discharged, I moved to the Southwestern part of my country and bounced around job to job selling cars and working in the oilfield. My average time at each job was six to nine months. I have taken some college classes in the meantime but have not completed my bachelors degree.

I have always had an issue budgeting money properly. This is because growing up we lived very poorly and as an adult, I felt that I could get whatever I wanted making $2,000 at first and up to $13,000 some months selling cars. In cars sales, you can sell 14-15 cars and make $10,000 to $15,000 one month. The next month you could sell the same amount of cars and make $2,000 to $4,000. I never saved up money and would spend it on week to two week long vacations overseas. I have been to Spain, Germany and Croatia. I became an alcoholic and spent money endlessly at strip clubs here in the United States. I ate out at restaurants daily and did not work out for three years. This led me to go from 165 pounds of muscle to 230 pounds of fat and not being able to run a mile without wheezing.

In April 2019, I got into a verbal argument that turned physical with my girlfriend at the time. After she pushed me, I beat her to within an inch of her life. Because of this, I was arrested and put on deferred adjudication probation. In April 2022, I will be off probation and have a clean record.

Due to my choices to open my mouth and point out inconsistencies between those I have worked under as well as my arrest, I am unable to secure a meaningful job. With COVID-19 affecting automotive sales, as well as the fines I have been paying to the state for my arrest, I am currently homeless and without a vehicle. I live in a tent in the woods three miles from my current job at nutrition store. I walk to work and the gym. I take Uber to my monthly drug test as it is 18 miles from the tent. I am not making much money, but have been saving more than half of it so I can afford getting my birth certificate and plane ticket to France. I no longer drink alcohol and am down to 195 pounds because I have been working out(currently sitting at 28.8% BMI).

The goal is to fly to Aubagne in May 2022 and volunteer at the recruiting station. In the meantime, I am working on my fitness and taking French courses on Babbel. I joined this forum to try and learn as much as I can before I head to France. I want a fresh start and believe I now know how to better control my emotions, have a grasp on financial literacy and most importantly how to keep my mouth shut. My main motivation is to leave my past behind and become one of the elite with nothing holding me back.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
In April 2019, I got into a verbal argument that turned physical with my girlfriend at the time. After she pushed me, I beat her to within an inch of her life. Because of this, I was arrested and put on deferred adjudication probation. In April 2022, I will be off probation and have a clean record.

Hi Thomas, You are either a speed typer or you had prepared your intro well in advance.
Which makes me wonder whether you have taken any notice of the forum's Miranda warning.
How many US persons from Texas do you think will be joining in May '22 ? No-one likes a wife beater, least of all the legion. You can say that you were not officially married, where is the difference?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Thomas, You are either a speed typer or you had prepared your intro well in advance.
Which makes me wonder whether you have taken any notice of the forum's Miranda warning.
How many US persons from Texas do you think will be joining in May '22 ? No-one likes a wife beater, least of all the legion. You can say that you were not officially married, where is the difference?
Joseph, I had it prepared in advance while waiting on my profile approval.

I don’t think too many Americans are willing to join the Legion. Most of us are quite arrogant and have a pretty easy life here in the states. For example, even with my past, I am able to make $9-13 an hour depending on the job. If you save up the money, room with someone/live in a tent, and eat at the grocery store, after a year, you can have a considerable amount saved up to get your individual place or a car. The economy where I live is not that bad compared to other parts of the US.

I appreciate the Miranda warning, but I have nothing to hide. I can not change my past, but only my future.

In my eyes, I am a wife beater regardless that it was a two month relationship. I don’t ask for forgiveness or understanding, just the opportunity to show that that isn’t the person who I am. Deeds not words are the measure of a man. Being that it was my only arrest, I have followed the limitations of my probation and I have taken a Batterers Intervention and Prevent Program, I believe that I am taking the right steps to becoming a productive person. If this holds me back from a shot at joining the Legion, I will have to accept it.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
On your own admission of beating a woman so badly I hope you find the rest of your life a struggle and nothing works out for you just no time for misfits like you,

madwolf

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Probably the worst introduction I could think of, sometimes saying nothing is your best chance, the Gestapo will expect you to talk about it but no one else is interested in this crap. I really hope for your sake your name IRL isnt Thomas Blair......
I am talking as someone who got the fresh start after services that you feel you need, my advice is sort yourself out first then go try, the Legion is not the place to work out character flaws. Good luck

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Wow, that was one hell of a read!! Don't think I've ever had such trouble picking my jaw up from the floor before

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thomas Blair,

An interesting writeup. It was way too detailed and I trust that it was a cathartic impulse to cleanse your mind by making such an admission.

My advice keep your mouth shut, get organised and fit. Then give it a go. It will be your last chance to regain a sense of honour and integrity.

And yes I have served.