a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to become an NCO despite not being good at running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chval

Reaction score
Home Country
East Timor
A couple of days ago i got (finally) assigned to the company combat, while passing a rapport to le capitaine i discovered, to my bizarre, that in order to be an active EOD (joining NEDEX) one has to be at least a CHEF DE SECTION. OK, i can spend my time waiting staying in branch combat, since i want to make a carrier here in the first place. But the thing is, I'm not so good at running, my performance is only 2'900m in Cooper and 48 mins in 8 km w/ sac à dos. And there's not so much room for improvement since the problem is at my respiration system (used to have asthma in childhood, lived in the polluted city), not being fat nor lazy.

I can deal with the technical and intellectual stuff no problem (finished in top ten in Castel despite shittiness at sport). And I have got some experience working with IED before joining la Légion. It's the running that worries me.

So the question is: with this kind of performance is it possible to make and NCO, passing stage caporal and sergent? If so, is there gonna be any difficulty for me later on? If no, what training method or program would you recommend? I'm willing to stay in quartier during the week-end training if it's gonna help my carrier, though that would make life a little bit shittier :p.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Well... 2'900m at the Cooper test and 48mn at the 8km run with kit are not that bad performances. Are you sure there are not other points which you should improve if you plan to become NCO. For example how's your mastery of the French language ?
In any case, since you're currently serving, you'd be better ask your superiors for advice. They are better placed than anybody on this board...

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
With 48 min on the 8km you are not actually going to be a star on your CME or your CM1. However it is your platoon commander and your company commander that will send you there. If they think you have the right stuff to go there they will send you.

Try to be a responsible legionnaire that they can thrust and not a lazy bastard and things should be fine.

What is your current regiment?

Legion-eire

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Hey Chval,

I'm guessing you're in 1REG as I'm in 2REG myself! As Rapace said, 2900m in Cooper isn't bad at all! Focus on keeping that level of cardio (if improvement is difficult re: medical condition) and you should be fine. Passing sergent, once you've indicated your wish to sign on beyond 5 yrs, should be a matter of time (but, as Stoeng said, only providing you keep your nose clean and don't let the physical fitness slip)!

In 1REG there's a fairly young French CCH serving in the EOD team (he's their VAB driver for my Afghan mission). He hasn't reached Minex 4/NEDEX, but helps prepare material for both instruction and some real interventions (from a distance, of course). Just an interesting example of how the foot can be wedged in the door!

Best of luck to you!

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Home Country
United States
With 48 min on the 8km you are not actually going to be a star on your CME or your CM1. However it is your platoon commander and your company commander that will send you there. If they think you have the right stuff to go there they will send you.

Try to be a responsible legionnaire that they can thrust and not a lazy bastard and things should be fine.

What is your current regiment?

Stoeng!!! WHAT are you suggesting????!!!! Oh, I see.......he IS in a genie regiment!

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Stoeng!!! WHAT are you suggesting????!!!! Oh, I see.......he IS in a genie regiment!

Sorry my English is sometimes not up to date ;-0
I was typing on my cellphone from the back seat of my car while this mongol driver was doing his best to kill us on the motorway.

Chval

Reaction score
Home Country
East Timor
Thanks a lot to everyone. That's a relief for me. I will try keeping my condition and going harder as possible. Oh and yes i'm a young démineur in 1°REG. Speaking of thrust, have you guys heard about Camerone stunt in 4RE this year? Drunken EVs forcing broom into an ass of a camarade?

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Speaking of thrust, have you guys heard about camerone stunt in 4RE this year? Drunken EVs forcing broom into an ass of a camarade?
Yes we did Chval. It's referred to quite regularly on here as the "Mongolian Broomstick". It's horrible I know, but us old cunts find anything funny LOL :)

PS - Why are you BLUE and not GREEN on here btw?

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Chval I hope you ass is not too damaged and that you can shit as usual

corvee de chotte

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Speaking of thrust, have you guys heard about camerone stunt in 4RE this year? Drunken EVs forcing broom into an ass of a camarade?
I take it they were disciplined, promoted and affected to 1REG d,corvee where they would not have to force the broom handle into their "comrade's" ass.

Murph

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'm surprised no one mentioned if you're fat and cannot run you could always join the REC and squeeze your fat arse into a tank :p

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'm surprised no one mentioned if you're fat and cannot run you could always join the REC and squeeze your fat arse into a tank :p
Here we go again LOL Hahahaha ! :)

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sorry my English is sometimes not up to date ;-0
I was typing on my cellphone in my car while this mongol pute driver was doing her best to give me a BJ and kill us on the motorway.

WTF ???? LOL :)

Any jobs going in Tehran?

corvee de chotte

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Aye, only blow jobs.........looks like the tank commander was reverting back to type and ordering the driver to blow his horn

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Ohhhh... I suppose that since I always give the paras and holders of the golden BTB from your dreadful campaigns in Caylus and Canjuers a hard time I must listen to this ;-)

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Aye, only blow jobs.........looks like the tank commander was reverting back to type and ordering the driver to blow his horn

Ahhhh.... TheMIGHTY REC is not the Regiment that has café owners with the name of Emil, not BOI bosses called Moncofout (or something like that) and we have no regimental commander that has been stripped for his general stars for pedophilia ;-)

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Reaction score
OK enough said !!!!! Every one knows the best regiment is the 3°REI..... ;)

Cpl K......

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
OK enough said !!!!! Every one knows the best regiment is the 3°REI..... ;)

Cpl K......
You mean, the best regiment of the Legion K, but the best of all is of course my good ol' 1er RCP
icon14.gif
. No question about it (even if some jealous guys were nicknaming it 1er Régiment de Clarinette et de Pipeau...)

Status
Not open for further replies.