a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Cooper test part of the admission requirements?

Mercenary

Reaction score
Home Country
Germany
Legion-recrute.com is the original Website from the French Foreign Legion.
The Luc-Leger Navette (Multiple Stage Test, Beep Test) is the new running Test.

todorov

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
i was wondering myself..good info
on the other hand if we are well prepared then we shouldnt have any problems with neither ot them :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
i was wondering myself..good info
on the other hand if we are well prepared then we shouldnt have any problems with neither ot them :)
The cooper is a good old fashion legion test. Remember, it's not just a question of getting in, you will go through basic training and then to your regiment. As todorov says, if you are well prepared you should have no trouble. However, at your stage, you should be at 3000m not 2800m. test yourselves on a sports track and see how you get on. It's over 12 minutes and basically you set yourselves a reasonably fast pace and keep it up. If you can't do 3000 then start asking yourself questions.

todorov

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
The cooper is a good old fashion legion test. Remember, it's not just a question of getting in, you will go through basic training and then to your regiment. As todorov says, if you are well prepared you should have no trouble. However, at your stage, you should be at 3000m not 2800m. test yourselves on a sports track and see how you get on. It's over 12 minutes and basically you set yourselves a reasonably fast pace and keep it up. If you can't do 3000 then start asking yourself questions.

i just came back from my training and all i can say is that the cooper test shouldnt be underestimated!this was my third successful attempt,but every time im struggling with the last 500m(damn smokes!) and this is with a constant speed of 14km/h..according to the treadmill.i still havent tried it on a track tough

RCC

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Todorov, you should try and get onto a track as soon as you can. There's a big difference between running on a treadmill and actually running.

Get out to a track and start with some 800m sprints. Jog a lap in between. That will help build up your wind and get your heart used to pumping as hard as it needs to to run 3000m in the cooper.

As I understand it the cooper is still used to test fitness at the regiments. If this is wrong please correct me.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
i just came back from my training and all i can say is that the cooper test shouldnt be underestimated!this was my third successful attempt,but every time im struggling with the last 500m(damn smokes!) and this is with a constant speed of 14km/h..according to the treadmill.i still havent tried it on a track tough
Pack the ciggies in as well.

Nemuksis

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
When I joined I had to do the Luc Lager and cooper test, i will ask the new guys if they had to do it, but i suspect they brought it back in.

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
On this page: http://recrutement.legion-etrangere...?id=9&idA=62&block=21&idA_SM=0&titre=sportifs it's says that is no longer Cooper test a part of physical test to join.It's only need to do 3 pull ups not 4 as I know and Luc leger test.Can someone who has been to recruting recently to tell us what are the physical test now.

I haven't been but I have picked up some knowledge about the test from others on the board. Be able to do at least 10 pullups. They want the best of the best, 3 pullups isnt really going to help you much to be selected when you have other candidates being able to do 9,10 or 11 pullups.

catalin95

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Yes I know what are you say but if you can do 20 pullups It's not guarantee that they are going to choose you.:) God know what you should do at physical test or say at interview to choose you.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
On this page: http://recrutement.legion-etrangere...?id=9&idA=62&block=21&idA_SM=0&titre=sportifs it's says that is no longer Cooper test a part of physical test to join.It's only need to do 3 pull ups not 4 as I know and Luc leger test.Can someone who has been to recruting recently to tell us what are the physical test now.
A lot of questions about the entrance test. First of all You only need to do 3 pull ups, my God what next. Let's face it lads, if you can only do 3 pull ups, the legion is not for you. The physical requirements do not stop at Aubagne. I don't hear people talking about swimming and medium distance 10ks running. In Castelnaudary you will have a swimming test, 100 m followed by 10 underwater. You will be going on long runs, you will be doing the 8000m t.a.p. test. Thats 8 ks with rucksack, helmet and rifle. In your regiment you will be going in for challenges, cross country races etc going on commando courses.
So as someone said before, if you are in tip top condition, you should be able to do any test they throw at you.

O

Ossis. O

Unregistered
Gentlemen,don't cut corners in your preparation,you are only fooling yourselves.I will reiterate once again- hit the hills with a heavy backpack (throw in some house bricks) for 2 or 3 days at a time.A young man in his early 20's should be eating that sort of training up like mum's cooking.Get out from behind that computer and stay away from the gym-those full length mirrors are addictive-and start running and humping that backpack!

catalin95

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Thanks for reply!

I just want to know what are the minimum physical test are and what test it is.Because someone say the Cooper it's part of the test on the website it's not saying that,that's it.I'm not say that I'm going there with that minimum.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
OssieO,

No mate, nowadays it is sit down on the sofa and watch telly whilst enjoying a six pack. (And watching Brits being thrashed at cricket.) Alternatively with a bird and 'amor vincit omnia'. If it is neither then it is a question of 'playstation vincit omnia'. Or 40 year olds past FFL selection going cazy about 50 years of Dr.Who.

Now as for the youth of my day, well it was rationing, no soft shoes, cast off clothes, watching out for Jerry planes, cadging comics and chewing gum from the Yanks billeted down the road in the big house. But we were tough little tykes. Oh what a sob story I could give you !

In truth the lads of today who genuinely want a military life are strivers and not like the layabouts I have depicted. However I like a good bite to wind people up.