I've made my decision

Joshua Poole

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Why wouldn't you be able to meet with a recruiter?
Because I have no transportation.
You can afford a plane ticket to france, but you can't afford a bus ticket to the nearest military recruitment station?
I don't live in a city. I'd have to call a cab which I'll already have to do to get to an airport and that will be expensive for just the one way trip.

Station

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
You can afford a plane ticket to France, but you can't afford a bus ticket to the nearest military recruitment station?

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Netherlands
Because I have no transportation.

I don't live in a city. I'd have to call a cab which I'll already have to do to get to an airport and that will be expensive for just the one way trip.
Go walking ! You are gonna be doing a lot of marching and running anyway so better start getting used to it. :cool:

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
If you call the recruiting office, most recruiters will be more than happy to come out to your house. They get paid on a commission and, believe it or not, are always willing to go the extra mile to make quota.

gatorojo ✞

Missed friend...
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
If you call the recruiting office, most recruiters will be more than happy to come out to your house. They get paid on a commission and, believe it or not, are always willing to go the extra mile to make quota.
Yes they will come out to your house to accomodate you. So this brings up the next logical question, why are you going to enlist in the FFL before you have served in your own country's Military?

Station

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
So this brings up the next logical question, why are you going to enlist in the FFL before you have served in your own country's Military?
Personally, because I've been advised by the recruiter that I spoke to that I'd be at the bottom of the intake-list for infantry due to my age (25) which would mean something like a two years wait to even get into basic training. I could get in far more quickly if I went for the administrative side of things, but I wouldn't be infantry, and infantry is the sum total of what I want to do with my life in the near future. And even if I did get in as a rifleman, odds are that I wouldn't be deployed into combat. Australia is very, very protective of its troops. I don't assume that if I make it into the FFL that I'll definitely deploy, but just looking at recent history, I'd be far more likely to deploy as a Legionnaire than as a Rifleman in the ADF.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
These boots were made for walking...lol.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
There's been an ongoing trend for a while on the BBS, where people announcing they are going to join the Legion are almost immediately and insistently asked if they've first served in their own country's army and, if not, why. Although I perfectly understand that joining one's country army before trying the Legion can be provided as a sound advice (after all the board is made to exchange advice and opinions), the almost inquisitorial or accusatory tone that is sometimes adopted is simply out of hand.
It's nobody's business but theirs if some people intend to join the Legion without having first served in their home country armed forces. There might be zillions of reasons for that and nobody should be ‘pressed’ to justify themselves if they don't want, which may lead some to start telling ‘bullshit’ (this thread is a good example of it).

BDE

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
I agree with both R & G on this. There will be times when someone doesn't join their own military first for reasons that don't need to be disclosed. But in G's defence the question why not, may help some stay on track with their ultimate desire to join the FFL.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Thing that I read is the lack of spine and motivation. I cant meet a recruiter if you were that set on joining the military you would have feckin well walked or got a lift of someone.

G.I. Joe

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Personally, because I've been advised by the recruiter that I spoke to that I'd be at the bottom of the intake-list for infantry due to my age (25) which would mean something like a two years wait to even get into basic training. I could get in far more quickly if I went for the administrative side of things, but I wouldn't be infantry, and infantry is the sum total of what I want to do with my life in the near future. And even if I did get in as a rifleman, odds are that I wouldn't be deployed into combat. Australia is very, very protective of its troops. I don't assume that if I make it into the FFL that I'll definitely deploy, but just looking at recent history, I'd be far more likely to deploy as a Legionnaire than as a Rifleman in the ADF.
I hear you on this one - I would prefer the ADF over the Legion - but I am in the same boat as you, age is not on my side and I want infantry like nothing else. I would have to do my 5th and 6th form school certificate (Year 9 and 10) and then apply and I too have heard from the horse's mouth that things take around the 24 months mark to get moving too. I could potentially be in my 2nd year of my 5 year Legion contract by then...

Just another option (one you may already be aware of) is the British Army. They consider us New Zealanders and Australians (due to the Commonwealth). I spoke with a recruiter and he seemed optimistic about my chances but said I would have to come to Britain first and get citizenship (about 4 months) before I could officially apply.

I intend on using this as a back up option if the Legion does not work out and failing that I will do my School Certs (Year 9 and 10) and try for the ADF....

RMD

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
I hear you on this one - I would prefer the ADF over the Legion - but I am in the same boat as you, age is not on my side and I want infantry like nothing else. I would have to do my 5th and 6th form school certificate (Year 9 and 10) and then apply and I too have heard from the horse's mouth that things take around the 24 months mark to get moving too. I could potentially be in my 2nd year of my 5 year Legion contract by then...

Just another option (one you may already be aware of) is the British Army. They consider us New Zealanders and Australians (due to the Commonwealth). I spoke with a recruiter and he seemed optimistic about my chances but said I would have to come to Britain first and get citizenship (about 4 months) before I could officially apply.

I intend on using this as a back up option if the Legion does not work out and failing that I will do my School Certs (Year 9 and 10) and try for the ADF....
Have you done your JOE's day yet?