a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IVORY COAST VIDEO: French Soldiers Fire at Protestors

kiwi

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
French Soldiers Fire at Protestors
By TRAGEDY and Kiwi

FrenchSoldierFiringAtCrowd2%200639.jpg

A French Soldier Fires into the Crowd

In this two part Video, French Soldiers are seen firing upon a large gathering of Protestors. There appears to be no obvious reason for the Soldiers firing, none the less they did and their were casualties.

The first Video contains a lot of the protestors chanting and singing (the singing is quite enjoyable) while the French Soldiers look on over the Crowd. The second Video focuses more on the aftermath and shows the "gore".

Previously TRAGEDY and myself posted an image demonstrating the power of a FAMAS Rifle (This Video is the Source). Thanks to this Video and TRAGEDY's keen analysis: It appears that the Man sustained a HV/HI shot to the back of his head. This in turn causes massive damage as it exited out his face. This should put to rest any doubt that the wound was inflicted by a French Soldier firing a FAMAS.

MooningTheFrenchSoldiers2%20329.jpg

Two Idiots Moon the French Soldiers (Footage from First Video)

BBC News Report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3997885.stm

"Several witnesses told the BBC that French peacekeepers opened fire on a crowd of tens of thousands supporters of Ivorian government."
"In response to the repeated provocations of the crowd, some of them armed, and in response to shots fired [by protesters], the Ivorian forces opened fire,"

Download/View the Videos

WARNING! These Videos contain slight nudity, mutilation, people dying and a bunch of other offensive Crap. If seeing parts of someones Skull is a bit too much for you, Do not watch This.

Tip: To Download the Videos, Right Click on the Link and then Select 'Save As'

Windows Media Play is Required to view these Videos
The Videos with XXk (i.e. 56k) can be streamed over the Internet, they have been customized by us so that those of us own slower connections can enjoy the footage as well. A lot of time and effort has gone into this!

Video 1 - Ivory Coast Protest Footage
FULL Video (9:25 Minutes / 93.8 Megabytes) - Download

NB: These are Cut down Versions, Mostly the Good Parts!

128k Video (4:35 Minutes / 4.70 Megabytes) - Download
56k Video (4:35 Mnutes / 1.78 Megabytes) - Download
Sample Video (0:38 Minutes / 0.98 Megabytes) - Download

Video 2 - Ivory Coast Protest Footage
FULL Video (10:06 Minutes / 100 Megabytes) - Download

NB: These are Cut down Versions, Mostly the Good Parts!
128k Video (3:07 Minutes / 2.83 Megabytes) - Download
56k Video (3:07 Minutes / 0.98 Megabytes) -
Download

Hotlinking these Videos
Go ahead! although most of them are hosted on my Server in Auckland, New Zealand, Speed will be a Factor.

Enjoy!
TRAGEDY and Kiwi

Last edited:

Beau-Sheep

Top Member
Reaction score
This is not funny shit!!!!

I started the "booboo" thing here and I wish I had not, yes the Legion refers to them as booboo, but on this forum I fear we could be called racist for doing so. I suggest we replace booboo with bandit or badie or anything else which sounds less like nigger. I am not and have never been a racist, it would be a shame to have our forum accused of being racist.

Can I have your thoughts on this?

Further more, I see a lot of civilians in these pictures and it scares me to see automatic high velocity weapons being employed before gas and rubber bullets, I know these soldiers are nervous but this is sheer madness and will tarnish the French image even more, this is not hearts and minds and it fuckin should be!!!

I am not proud to have seen these images and talk of HV round damage is outta fuckin place, the man was unarmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
Can I have your thoughts on this?
Can you backtrack on any IC thread and replace all incorrect references to locals by Beau's suggestions ? Thnxs in advance

Last edited:

kiwi

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I have edited the post and replaced the word, although I would like to express my reasons for using it. To put it plainly, it is a great generic term which can be casted over a broad demographic.

Also, I too am a litte concerned about the Actions of those soldiers; But, if it was a Superior that ordered them then thats that - Simply a bad decision.

I am glad that there were no small Children in the Crowd, or none that I could see. As for the Woman I was a little worried, but you can see them chanting and screaming Profanity as well.

Beau, did you ever shoot an unarmed Man, Woman or Child? What about Eagle or Joe?

BTW, We did put the warning there! We would ask that the Moderators let this thread run its course, WE want to SHOW people what CAN and probably WILL happen. Can you deal with the fact you have taken a LIFE?

Last edited:

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
Can you deal with the fact you have taken a LIFE?
I put my humanity on pilot light and made peace with my God before deploying to Beirut. I wouldn't know until afterwards but no hesitation over armed + dangerous civilians. I reckon some eni snipers put their guns down against the wall and walked past us after shooting FFL pillboxes. I had this perception after one dude made it a point to cross the road and walk past me standing on an embassy wall. Nothing was said or done by me.

Also, this IC incident + the one yesterday in Fallujah before whirling media cameras show how one single incident can condemn the collective entity engaging on the ground.

Last edited:

Beau-Sheep

Top Member
Reaction score
We searched a village once, it was in the early morning and we had recced it for days and became suspisious because all the men were gone. We suspected bandits so went in to look for evidence, as we parked our trucks the women of the village ran at us screaming and hurling rocks, I turned from the truck and levelled my FAMAS at the first person I saw, she stopped coming at me when she felt my muzzle in her forehead, she looked at me and I looked at her and to this day I ask myself two questions:
Who was more scared me or her.
What would I have done if she never dropped the stones.
She dropped the stones and when we turned away the entire village was staring at us, including my mates, no one ever mentioned it again.

I want no questions on this, from anyone, said what I have to say now let it drop.

So the answer is no, I never shot at civilians, but one day I came fucking close. Too fucking close.

L

legion hopefull

Unregistered
The first step in becoming an effective soldier is realizing the simple fact that God is nothing but a fairy-tale...and things like honor and courage are the most prized quality's anyone can have.

Beau-Sheep

Top Member
Reaction score
legion hopefull said:
The first step in becoming an effective soldier is realizing the simple fact that God is nothing but a fairy-tale...and things like honor and courage are the most prized quality's anyone can have.

Honor is a myth.
Courage sends young men to their graves.

God wears a white kepi and carries a FAMAS!!!
Fairy tales are "two for one on whores in Dijibuti, all blond and Swedish"

Reality = You are born, you live, you die... oh dear, how sad, never mind, my heart bleedeth purple piss!

BobW

Top Member
Reaction score
Hi Beau-Sheep,

Here's my 2 piasters worth of thoughts on the term "booboo" as an observer here. Yesterday, I learned that the main mission of this site is to assist potential recruits interested in the French Foreign Legion. Additional missions are to discuss the history of the FFL and some related matters, such as equipment (boots).

I consider "booboo" a legitimate and proper term for this site - if - explained to readers it is a common use term used by legionnaires. Personally, I do not know if this term is used only regarding Africans or all others also. For example, is this term used for the locals on New Caladonia when there were political disturbances there a few years ago? Was this term used regarding the PLO and Syrians when the Legion was in Lebannon in 1982?

If the term is only used for Africans, I can guarantee that a young person looking at this site will consider it racially loaded.

For several years I've worked a site on the history of the Vietnam War. We had trouble with the term "gook". We allow it if within the context of history. We usually do not allow it for conversation for someone to explain something or ask a question with the term.

My thoughts on the term "booboo" coupled with the above material (not the videos; probably too clinical to interest me), changes the complexion of this site from a professional military site to an American adventure magazine website. The caption under the first picture: "A French soldier fires into the crowd"; I don't see the crowd; just a soldier without a helmet on. Doesn't look like a volatile situation to me.

If this is a premier military site focused to potential legionnaire recruits, it's not Ivorians being shot up needed here but FFL wounded and dead. This does wonders to the armchair commandos.

Warm regards,
BobW

Beau-Sheep

Top Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob

You know the score its a "Grunts in the grass" term and when you have served your time with those guys you forgive them anything, in the Legion a booboo is simply a bandit, it was used for everyone and anyone pointing an AK in our direction.

But my problem is the reputation we have does not need idiots like me to make it worse, my posts are aggressive and lack tack, but then again my aim is to disuede as many as possible from leaving home on a whim and a myth. I want people to read in my lines of a Legion which is tough and unforgiving of fools. I have written some pretty pointed stuff but its aim was not to project an image of racist tendancies within the Legion because that is simply not true.

I kinda guess I should learn to shut the **** up??????

Forgotten

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
If the word "booboo" contenues to be a problem I think the powers that be have the power to ban the word from the forum or automaticly replace the word with a more political choice.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I have requested clear directions from the web master as to what he finds acceptable and what not. Since see no problem with most posts, I shall let it stand. I will just move it to "other topics" because I believe it was not Legion material.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Forgotten said:
If the word "booboo" contenues to be a problem I think the powers that be have the power to ban the word from the forum or automaticly replace the word with a more political choice.
Booboo is a term used to describe all enemies of the Legion. It will be a sad day if and when, the Legion becomes political correct. In my time everybody was called by their specific national nickname. I had the unfortunate luck to be a Dutchman (they are called "cheese heads") you take a guess which head they meant by that. :D

DanMitsu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
My observation,..
There was a line placed, for thier saftey. They went beyond that line. The person that had, the cam for the pictures. Was merely trying to elevate the situation. The crowd feed on it. I heard mention of more then a few times that they should go home, back up.
Security- Is just that. As for not so much your saftey, but for the civis not to get hurt. A larger percentage were hurt by the crowd, falling down, and running around like idiots. As soon as the video was noticed, they pressed on. Rounds being fired, they all went to the ground. The decorative-wire that was placed, around the men. Wasnt for show, it was placed there to slow the advanced. So they would have time to focus on each and everyone of them. The person the fired from the observation area, was a good shot he placed the rounds not to kill them but to stop them. Very professional.
Either way, i'm sure a few unpleasant words were exchanged. But to have that many men up there, standing around,with live rounds, and watching as the crowd was getting worse. Not to level the field. Was pure discipline.
The chant "signing", in the area with the overhead. Was a prayer, i wonder why such a crowd would pray, before they knew what they were going to do? The test, to know what you can do, but not to do it. I would also like to add, that if this gives, a few, a hard-on. Your feeding the wrong emotion. I don't see this as being a wake up call, to the new to hold arms. My opinion, is just that an opinion. By a Marine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beau-Sheep

Top Member
Reaction score
No I agree, put it still threw petrol on the fire. I do not see why these troops should have to do this kinda work, this is for the natives to handle themselves and if anyone shoots it should be those sanctioned by the IC to do so namely the police or the IC army.
Putting troops into a situation like this is of course going to draw the attention of the demonstrators however a better choice should have been made as to exactly whose troops should be there. Soldiers aint peacekeepers. I agree that restraint was used on the part of the troops but could that not have more to do with the fact that the crowd was going in one direction only...? Namely away from the bullets (as crowds do...)

Bloody Sunday is ringing in my head and I fear the French could be drawn into a similar situation...???

Darkwolf

Reaction score
Home Country
Northern Ireland
Beau, did you ever shoot an unarmed Man, Woman or Child? What about Eagle or Joe?

Am ex-reserves but never been in combat or peacekeeping situation.Still I would recommend not asking questions like this,it can bring up extreme emotional responses and memories.Some people just want to forget things,and this may also reinforce the FFL's percieved reputaion among many people as "murders " and "baby-killers".
Of course I will shut up if anciens or mods consider my remarks to be overstepping wannabe bounds.......... ;)

DanMitsu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Beau-Sheep said:
No I agree, put it still threw petrol on the fire. I do not see why these troops should have to do this kinda work, this is for the natives to handle themselves and if anyone shoots it should be those sanctioned by the IC to do so namely the police or the IC army.
Putting troops into a situation like this is of course going to draw the attention of the demonstrators however a better choice should have been made as to exactly whose troops should be there. Soldiers aint peacekeepers. I agree that restraint was used on the part of the troops but could that not have more to do with the fact that the crowd was going in one direction only...? Namely away from the bullets (as crowds do...)

Bloody Sunday is ringing in my head and I fear the French could be drawn into a similar situation...???
I agree, soldiers arent peackeepers. a 100% I see the IC using this as a fuel too. (international attention) They need to be there,(i only saw three on video) the problem i see, everytime this happens. They pack up and run. Leave the soldiers to do the work.(always, by the wrong way) If the rebels were looking for something to spark thier intent, then it has a happened. All that will come of this, now, will be negative. I will have to say that i am a bit curious, on how the Diplomatic side will adjust. But we already know the answer.

Last edited:

DevilD

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Beau-Sheep said:
Honor is a myth.
Courage sends young men to their graves.

God wears a white kepi and carries a FAMAS!!!
Fairy tales are "two for one on whores in Djibouti, all blond and Swedish"

Reality = You are born, you live, you die... oh dear, how sad, never mind, my heart bleedeth purple piss!
I like your position. although it's so simple alot of people can't wrap their minds around it.