Join home country's Army first or Legion first?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Evening lads, first time posting here.
I was wondering what the better path of progression would be. Is it better to join the Legion as a vet with previous military experience or get said experience from the Legion and then return to your motherland to serve.
This is definitely something i want to do before i die so i appreciate any tips.
Cheers mates

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Mr Cobra, can you give us a few more details of who you are...what is your background. Are you serious about joining the Legion?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Cobra.Trapz,

Welcome to the forum. I suggest that you first make a short personal introduction. Nothing detrimental. Then contact Pink Floyd. He has experience of both.
Good luck.

OP
C
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Mr Cobra, can you give us a few more details of who you are...what is your background. From a fellow Aussie.
Sure thing. I'm fresh out of high school and torn between the ADF and the Legion. I have been training and longing for the Army since I was a young lad playing Rambo in the bush but recently I've had a burning desire to fly to France and become a legionnaire.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Cobra, straight out of high school..? So that makes you 17-18. Don’t even think about the Legion. My advice is go and do some Oz Army reserve time. Why? At least you will learn some field craft, discipline, weapons drills/safety at live firing. High school to the Legion will be a nightmare for you. Send me a PM if you like.

OP
C
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Cobra, straight out of high school..? So that makes you 17-18. Don’t even think about the Legion. My advice is go and do some Oz Army reserve time. Why? at least you will learn some field craft, discipline, weapons drills/safety at live firing. High school to the Legion will be a nightmare for you. Send me a PM if you like.
Is it really that big of a shock? The reason I ask is this kid from Belgium joined at 17 and seemed to be doing fine (seen in the video below). But if that's what you recommend mate then I trust your word. Just out of curiosity, what's the average age of a legionnaire?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Cobra.Trapz and welcome to the forum. I'd PM Pink Floyd if I was you.
As for our Belgian friend who joined at 17.5 years with written permission from his parents, he didn't have that far to go if he had got rejected, I mean his father dropped him off :). That's an old Legion joke about what do your parents think about you joining. I was dropped off by my old man!
At 18 years old and no experience other than school, the shock will be like sprinting in scorching hot weather and then diving into a cold pool. It's a long way to go if you are not ready.
Get some experience around your own country's reserves and after a year then give it a go. It's like going for a job interview..'what experience do you have?' None. 'Next!'

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
Thanks Joseph, I appreciate it. Fortunately for me the ADF has a gap year program where you can try soldiering for a year and get some experience under you belt. That sounds like the way to go.
That’s the way. By doing a good 12 months in the Oz Army reserve it will give you a good indication to see if the military life is for you. Keep us all informed on your journey.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Oh well, I joined the Legion at 16, became a decorated paratrooper in the Algerian war at 17. So what’s age got to do about it? If you’ve got the mettle, go for it! If not, keep dreaming. 😔

816342AA-AE63-4F8F-910F-ED66B1C55911.jpeg

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Oh well, I joined the Legion at 16, became a decorated paratrooper in the Algerian war at 17. So what’s age got to do about it? If you’ve got the mettle, go for it! If not, keep dreaming. 😔
ATTACH type="full" alt="816342AA-AE63-4F8F-910F-ED66B1C55911.jpeg"]5096[/ATTACH]
Yeah but i think you were much more mature Jonny.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
What’s the difference in joining your own army or the Legion? Language, and a way of training to bring together a bunch of misfits that potentially come from all corners of the world. So my advise go with your head and not your heart but really don’t think age is a major factor as long as your mature to put up with the bull s.it
I went into the Brits at 15 as a junior soldier, yes with a dodgy birth certificate was doing my first tour in Ireland at 16.5 all this hit the fan second tour when I knocked 2 paddy’s over on a zebra crossing in Belfast on purpose ( another story)
I have conducted my life that age is not a barrier I still view that today in my 60s, go chase your dreams only you no if you have the metal to succeed no one on here can quantity that!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
What’s the difference in joining your own arm young or the Legion? Language, traditions and all the history that goes with the Legion! So my advise go with your head and not your heart but really don’t think she is a major factor as long as your mature to put up with the bull s.it
I think it´s the maturity bit. I mean you & jonny, joe all of us had another up bringing. Having said that at your time it was like walking in there with no real info. Today of course you can look on the web.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I mean you & the Wee Cpl had to go (from what you wrote before) . The Wee Cpl was broke, hungry sleeping in the rain before he got in. Now they are informed can (rightly so) as joe says get a hotel room and get a good nights sleep and meal.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
And by the way, by definition;
mettle
/ˈmɛt(ə)l/
noun
  1. a person's ability to cope well with difficulties; spirit and resilience.
    "the team showed their true mettle in the second half"
    synonyms:spirit, fortitude, tenacity, strength of character, moral fibre, steel, determination, resolve, resolution, steadfastness, indomitability, backbone, hardihood, pluck, nerve, gameness, courage, courageousness, bravery, gallantry, valour, intrepidity, fearlessness, boldness, daring, audacity;More

Which basically defines a typical legionnaire.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think it´s the maturity bit. I mean you & jonny, joe all of us had another up bringing. Having said that at your time it was like walking in there with no real info. Today of course you can look on the web.
Spot on buddy the Legion has zero appeal to me now and I would not join as the information their positive and negative is overwhelming I would have just gone done my jail and pick up on civi life after my sentence!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
And by the way, by definition;
mettle
/ˈmɛt(ə)l/
noun
  1. a person's ability to cope well with difficulties; spirit and resilience.
    "the team showed their true mettle in the second half"
    synonyms:spirit, fortitude, tenacity, strength of character, moral fibre, steel, determination, resolve, resolution, steadfastness, indomitability, backbone, hardihood, pluck, nerve, gameness, courage, courageousness, bravery, gallantry, valour, intrepidity, fearlessness, boldness, daring, audacity;More

Which basically defines a typical legionnaire.
Or any other soldier with b*lls Jonny, not just the Legion.

Most viewed threads of the week