Joining & important steps (accomodation, ...)

Samms

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Czech Republic
Hi,
I'm planning to travel into Paris. But before it, I need to know this information: health insurance, accommodation and food. Because I have money only for travel and rest will be about 70-100 EUR. How much money I need? I read that accommodation and food is immediately provided by army. But I also read, that in preselect I must be in Paris on my own. Must I pay hotel/hostel/...? And how about health insurance? Can I get it in preselection?
Thank you!

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
Only way to do it right, is to go directly to Fort de Nogent (you are not coming over for a sightseeing tour), if you are short on money. If you get turned down, i suggest you do all your best to get yourself home. You are on your own and no one is going to help you. Health insurance will be provided if you make it through selection and reach Castelnaudary for the Basic, not before, but of course, if you do get ill, you will be taken care of (French taxpayers will provide for C.M.U, the Universal Medical Cover, as it's called here in France.). Best of luck.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Have a back up plan. Paris is an expensive city and there are no good samaritans who will help you out if you get stuck. Sell as many of your possessions as you can because you will need money. This has been said enough times before but here goes again. See a dentist and a doctor before hand, make sure that you are VERY fit. Good luck

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Yes, If you only have limited funds, do go directly to Fort De Nogent. They have a bar there, too. Foyer Du Legionnaire. Well they did whenI was there, in 2004. If Don pedro Was still there, then, We would have met..

OP
S

Samms

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Czech Republic
So - when I select Fort De Nogent. Must I leave my country without ending health insurance? (Because I'll not get it immediately from army.) And before I knock on the door, must I book a hotel? Or what is your idea in details? And if I have to go home, they will wait for me debts of insurance? (Because I cannot close it before get new from army.) So what should I prepare/book? How much money earn?
Thank you!

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
Correct, don't end your health insurance. No need to book no hotel, you find Fort de Nogent, ring the bell and you take it from there. If you get turned down, it's your headache, how you handle your situation. There are no Guarantees that you will make it further then the Fort de Nogent. Your health insurance from your country (i don't understand your question here)? Don't worry, you aren't in yet.

OP
S

Samms

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Czech Republic
My ask is: What will happen with health insurance from my country when I not comming back? (When I start tranning.) Probably I understand, that I'll be kicked out before can I have debts in health insurance in my country...

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
My ask is: What will happen with health insurance from my country when I not comming back? (When I start tranning.) Probably I understand, that I'll be kicked out before can I have debts in health insurance in my country...
After you make through basic instruction, you can cancel your health insurance from your home country by telephone or a friend or relative can do that?

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I don`t understand why the OP is so hung up on health insurance , if hes physically fit what`s he worried about ? if he gets run over by a bus then the French social security will sort him out,if he goes straight to the Legion then gets ill they will sort him out surely?