a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining soon

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello everyone, American here. Just wanted to introduce myself as I've been lurking on here for the past few weeks.

I'm currently at 10 pullups and level 7 for the beep test, training and saving for my plane ticket. Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

Anyways, thanks for having me on the board!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello everyone, American here. Just wanted to introduce myself as I've been lurking on here for the past few weeks.

I'm currently at 10 pullups and level 7 for the beep test, training and saving for my plane ticket. Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

Now that's what I call an introduction ! Nationality and number of pull-ups and beep test level ;) Good stuff.
Welcome to the forum. Take the time to check out the threads. there is also the official legion site https://en.legion-recrute.com/ if you haven't already checked it out.

How is the swimming and the French? How soon before you thing you will be ready to go, flight and hotel etc? take more money just in case. Have your teeth checked. Good luck and do keep us informed.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa

Welcome to the forum mate.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Jartmann,

Welcome on board. Enjoy the Forum and note info from the Greens. Sadly there are too few of them now on the forum.

Please give us more info about yourself but only if you are happy to. It is up to you of course. Age, prior military service, whatever. Nothing incriminating.:unsure:

All the best.

Chas Green Beret School of 1956.:confused: True !

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Quite a few yanks around, one forum member has just finished his 5. Unfortunately a plethora of yanks have asked to go civil recently along with one AWOL cornholing Krav Maga Bro (KMTBB:cool:) thats still unaccounted for after almost a year. I feel he either didn't make it or used and abused the forum.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
That's how "Krav maga those bitches up bro!" started. Wonder what happened to that Ballas15 guy? Whether he learned the the secrets of Krav Maga? :). I think he is Belgian. (no f*ing flags! :mad:)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Now that's what I call an introduction ! Nationality and number of pull-ups and beep test level ;) Good stuff.
Welcome to the forum. Take the time to check out the threads. there is also the official legion site https://en.legion-recrute.com/ if you haven't already checked it out.

How is the swimming and the French? How soon before you thing you will be ready to go, flight and hotel etc? take more money just in case. Have your teeth checked. Good luck and do keep us informed.

Swimming is good. Regarding French, I can speak and understand the basic phrases, I'm currently trying to learn to count to 100. I'll be ready by the beginning of November, but I haven't considered a hotel. I was going to fly into Marseille in the morning and take the train to Aubagne. Also teeth are good!

Jartmann,

Welcome on board. Enjoy the Forum and note info from the Greens. Sadly there are too few of them now on the forum.

Please give us more info about yourself but only if you are happy to. It is up to you of course. Age, prior military service, whatever. Nothing incriminating.:unsure:

All the best.

Chas Green Beret School of 1956.:confused: True !

Thanks man! I'm currently 23. No prior military service. Did try to join the US Military a year or so ago, but was unable to get a waiver. It's a bummer there's not many greens left, this is the one place I've actually found reliable info regarding the legion beside the official website.

Quite a few yanks around, one forum member has just finished his 5. Unfortunately a plethora of yanks have asked to go civil recently along with one AWOL cornholing Krav Maga Bro (KMTBB:cool:) thats still unaccounted for after almost a year. I feel he either didn't make it or used and abused the forum.

As in, they asked to get out of their 5yr contract?

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
If you're learning basic stuff in French a lot of Greens suggested focusing on learning ordres en Francais...there is a thread here dedicated to orders given in the FFL

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Swimming is good. Regarding French, I can speak and understand the basic phrases, I'm currently trying to learn to count to 100. I'll be ready by the beginning of November, but I haven't considered a hotel. I was going to fly into Marseille in the morning and take the train to Aubagne. Also teeth are good
One way of learning the French numbers -after 21 and up until 70 not too hard, is by counting while exercising, for example doing pull ups. If I remember correctly your nationality is American and you can do ten pull ups :cool:. try doing sets of two pulls starting at 70-71, 71-72 etc. Until you reach quatre-vingt-dix. Which if my math is correct will give you 10 sets of 2 pullups (en français no less).
That which a lot of candidates fall short of is concentrating uniquely on the beep test and the pullups. Which is fine to get you in. However during the mornings workouts you will be going on long runs, so if I were you I would build up running stamina and also concentrate on the abdos.

As for the hotel, you will have to take into account the jet-lag. If you can afford it, there are a lot of cheap hotels around the train station and a lot of cheap restaurants also. You should count around 50 euros or $58.42 by today's exchange rate. A cheap meal will cost around 10 euros, There are also small supermarkets around the the train station. There will be nothing worse than waiting around on the first two days while you are being processed and yawning all the time and just waiting to crawl into that lovely soft warm bed.

Besides, what you are going to save, with my next tip, on being ripped off by an over-weight Marseillais taxi driver will pay for a night in a hotel:
As you come out of the airport arrivals you turn right and there you will see a big blue bus with the word Navette painted on the side. On the front will be written St Charles which is the name of the train station. Approx. 9 euros or $10.51. 20 minutes travel time and you will be taken directly to the the train station.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
That's how "Krav maga those bitches up bro!" started. Wonder what happened to that Ballas15 guy? Whether he learned the the secrets of Krav Maga? :). I think he is Belgian. (no f*ing flags! :mad:)
Nope he was a South African, rumour has it he's still looking for combat experience!Lol

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
From what I have gathered you can only go civil during the first 6 months after that it is illegal, no?

I think they would let you go eventually though after the 6 months. I doubt they would want someone who doesnt want to be there around guns and spending money housing/clothing/feeding them.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
If you can not pull 7 at the gate on arrival, you will probally not be given the oppertunity to do thé beep test. ..am right, i think ?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
One way of learning the French numbers -after 21 and up until 70 not too hard, is by counting while exercising, for example doing pull ups. If I remember correctly your nationality is American and you can do ten pull ups :cool:. try doing sets of two pulls starting at 70-71, 71-72 etc. Until you reach quatre-vingt-dix. Which if my math is correct will give you 10 sets of 2 pullups (en français no less).
That which a lot of candidates fall short of is concentrating uniquely on the beep test and the pullups. Which is fine to get you in. However during the mornings workouts you will be going on long runs, so if I were you I would build up running stamina and also concentrate on the abdos.

As for the hotel, you will have to take into account the jet-lag. If you can afford it, there are a lot of cheap hotels around the train station and a lot of cheap restaurants also. You should count around 50 euros or $58.42 by today's exchange rate. A cheap meal will cost around 10 euros, There are also small supermarkets around the the train station. There will be nothing worse than waiting around on the first two days while you are being processed and yawning all the time and just waiting to crawl into that lovely soft warm bed.

Besides, what you are going to save, with my next tip, on being ripped off by an over-weight Marseillais taxi driver will pay for a night in a hotel:
As you come out of the airport arrivals you turn right and there you will see a big blue bus with the word Navette painted on the side. On the front will be written St Charles which is the name of the train station. Approx. 9 euros or $10.51. 20 minutes travel time and you will be taken directly to the the train station.

Hadn't even thought of counting while training. The french numbers are set up a bit odd, but ill get the hang of it. Also thanks for the info! That'll save me a bit of cash and a headache 😅 question though, do many French also speak English? I'm concerned with the communication when asking for directions.

If you're learning basic stuff in French a lot of Greens suggested focusing on learning ordres en Francais...there is a thread here dedicated to orders given in the FFL

Thanks man, that would help a ton actually. Does anyone here have the link for the thread? I can't find it in the search.

They asked to leave before they'd done their time. Like straight after basics.

Ahhh ok, that's a bit surprising. I didn't think they'd allow that.