a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining the Legion

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Hello guys, I'm a 21 year-old guy looking to enlist in the Legion, but sadly at age 15 i had Scheuermann's disease basically got a surgery in my back got some screws into me, i have asked doctors and I can join the army in Denmark with it, because as he said it is just like a normal person back and will not bring any trouble actually only makes my back stronger, but i am wondering if i still have a chance to be let in?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Andrethedane and welcome to the forum. None of us on here can say whether or not you will get in in as we are not Legion doctors. The only advice I can give you is take all the paperwork with you (have it translated into French if need be) X-Rays +++ and as you are not that far away go and give it a try.

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Hello Andrethedane and welcome to the forum. None of us on here can say whether or not you will get in in as we are not Legion doctors. The only advice I can give you is take all the paperwork with you (have it translated into French if need be) X-Rays +++ and as you are not that far away go and give it a try.
Thank you very much for the reply sir, i will get some xrays and paperwork and go after then.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
At least you're very young. Your back might stop you getting into the Rep but as big Joe said only The doctors there can say. Go for IT man.. All the best. Who the hell wants to jump out a perfectly good Pläne anyway 😁😆

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hei, min anbefaling er å si så lite som mulig om det problemet. Det blir ingen røntgen bilder tatt av din rygg ilegionen.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
At least you're very young. Your back might stop you getting into the Rep but as big Joe said only The doctors there can say. Go for IT man.. All the best. Who the hell wants to jump out a perfectly good Pläne anyway 😁😆
Oh but Mr Sexpert, you are missing the point a bit here. The reason that I, and I’m sure many of my former Legion colleagues joined up in the first place was to experience something unusual and dangerous, otherwise we could have been accountants or dentists, perhaps. And the challenge of jumping out in mid air from a perfectly good airplane, trusting this parachute folded up and strapped to your back to actually delivering you safely back to the ground is all part of that experience.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Very true Jonny... Very true or fighting with a big snake in the jungle.. Eating turtle steaks 👍

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Walking as point man in enemy territory is quite exciting as well, but I reckon turtle steaks should be a great improvement to the French field rations, actually.

BTW, For a couple of years in Algeria I was always selected as point man in my platoon when heading out on patrolling the mountains in the morning. And when going back home in the evening I was the ‘tail end Charly’, protecting the men from being shot from behind. I obviously have no photos of myself as point man but I have some from being tail end Charly. I attach one that I might have uploaded before without explanations.

07FD7D78-E78C-4A9C-BB5A-B40E6D133120.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Walking as point man in enemy territory is quite exciting as well, but I reckon turtle steaks should be a great improvement to the French field rations, actually.
Joe is the cook... Should write a cook book about his experience 👍

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Oh but Mr Sexpert, you are missing the point a bit here. The reason that I, and I’m sure many of my former legion colleagues joined up in the first place was to experience something unusual and dangerous, otherwise we could have been accountants or dentists, perhaps. And the challenge of jumping out in mid air from a perfectly good airplane, trusting this parachute folded up and strapped to your back to actually delivering you safely back to the ground is all part of that experience.
Damn right. Jumping from plane is my long time wish. I'm stupid enough not to fulfill it until now. Lacking money, lacking discipline... But I would do that during my lifetime for sure. With or without REP

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joe may have been a cook but he passed one of the toughest military courses and got attached to 3 Cdo Brigade and went to Norway with Brigade. Cooks, clerks and bottle washers, when it comes to the crunch fight with the rest. They demonstrate the commando ethos and spirit.

The All Arms Commando Course is now 17 weeks of misery including 'beat up'.

I respect any man RN, Army or RAF who completes it. It is far from easy and is not a walk in the park.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joe may have been a cook but he passed one of the toughest military courses and got attached to 3 Cdo Brigade and went to Norway with Brigade. Cooks, clerks and bottle washers, when it comes to the crunch fight with the rest. They demonstrate the commando ethos and spirit.

I respect any man RN, Army or RAF who completes it. It is far from easy and is not a walk in the park.
You miss understand The Humor behind it. 😉 Joe knows i think the army Chefs were good lads. Always got my pork chop & Apple sauce 😉

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

When I finished my course, I had to go back to my regiment and had my 15 mins. After all it isn't every day a cook chef passes.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Damn right. Jumping from plane is my long time wish. I'm stupid enough not to fulfill it until now. Lacking money, lacking discipline... But I would do that during my lifetime for sure. With or without REP
Takes nothing but two stones between your legs to jump from the plane. If your chute fails, use reserve. Reserve fails, dive head first, you'll break your neck and the death will be quick

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You miss understand The Humor behind it. 😉 Joe knows i think the army Chefs were good lads. Always got my pork chop & Apple sauce 😉
The cooks and the medic are a soldier's best friends, would not survive without them. Then of course, supply are good too, assuming they haven't "run out" of everything.