a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANSWERED Joining The Legion

Xavier

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Introduction,

I am a young man who has always worked in restaurants.

Story,

Career went south with the pandemic and lost all the work I had. Used the time to obtain GED in order to join the US military. All went well enough until they asked for medical records. Hospitalized once as a result of mistakenly taking research chemicals. Realized there was no way forward and broke things off. Thinking of heading to France later in the year to get into the Legion as a result. I have no issues regarding criminal past, no issues regarding level of fitness, no longer have issues with smoking/drinking/drugs, and regarding medical only the issue of needing glasses. Reading through the forums for information regarding preparations/directions/recommendations.

Conclusion,

If I go they will surely ask me why I want to join the legion and why I did not join my countries military instead. I am not worried about answering the first so much but it is the second that most concerns me. Should I simply be honest with them regarding why I could not join or just give them some other reason. Any other advice or insight is welcome of course. Ultimately I understand that nothing is certain until one steps past the gates. Thank you for taking the time to go through my post.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Xavier and welcome to the forum,

I would be honest with them. I would get my priorities right if I were you about why you want to join the legion. You do realize that it is for 5 years?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I think I am with Joe on this one. No matter what you're going to have to explain why you didn't join the U.S. military, as does everyone with their respective military's (that have them reasonably available for careers and the like of course). So why not just tell them the truth? I plan on speaking the truth as to why I was discharged, I know all I need is a 1 chance to prove myself anyways.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think I am with Joe on this one. No matter what you're going to have to explain why you didn't join the U.S. military, as does everyone with their respective military's (that have them reasonably available for careers and the like of course). So why not just tell them the truth? I plan on speaking the truth as to why I was discharged, I know all I need is a 1 chance to prove myself anyways.
I'm not sure about that. If dishonorable discharge isn't something stupid like DUI maybe it's better to be quiet about whole US service.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
You are young..you say? tell them nowt and when the Legion ask you, why you never served in your own country's army...
Tell them that you are young and looking for adventure and extra USA experience
L P.C.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Don't lie but also don't spill your guts. I tried to join the Canadian military but was refused (this was in the early 80's) because my parents were from the Eastern block countries. Give a valid reason that can be checked but don't give all reasons that can be applied. If you are going to navigate questions BY PROFESSIONALS test yourself in front of a mirror for any tells. You should try to "beat the polygraph" so to speak. You're selling not only your present ability but your potential.

Xavier

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have always considered joining the military a good career. It clothes you, houses you, feeds you, transports you, pays you, doctors you, trains you and so on. All you have to do in exchange is to diligently do whatever duty is assigned. It has always seemed like a pretty good deal to me. Five years is a long time yes but ultimately once I join it is for the long haul. Since joining a foreign military results in the loss of US citizenship. So I would stay in the legion at least 8-10 years in order to earn French citizenship.

Thank you for your advice about being honest I will keep it in mind. I will try my best to learn French in the meantime until France actually allows for travel to Paris.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Sounds like prison is a good deal too. What makes you think you lose your citizenship upon joining? That's a new one for me. This is not a passive endeavor where you're treated like a pet. With the above attitude you seem like optimist. Good luck.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I have always considered joining the military a good career. It clothes you, houses you, feeds you, transports you, pays you, doctors you, trains you and so on. All you have to do in exchange is to diligently do whatever duty is assigned. It has always seemed like a pretty good deal to me. Five years is a long time yes but ultimately once I join it is for the long haul. Since joining a foreign military results in the loss of US citizenship. So I would stay in the legion at least 8-10 years in order to earn French citizenship.

Thank you for your advice about being honest I will keep it in mind. I will try my best to learn French in the meantime until France actually allows for travel to Paris.
I don't think that you will lose your US citizenship. In fact I know several US legionnaires. We've even had a cop on here.