a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Created my own YouTube channel

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I've been going on my channel now for a year last September. At first it was to help out job seekers like myself. I then put out a vdieo called "Job Offer: French foreign legionnaire". It is by far the worst video that I've put out. Ironically it is the most successful, topping over 9 700 vues. It is always in the top three of the last 48 hours views. (you can see it down on the bottom right). Equally ironically, the video that I thought would do the best "And through St Micheal...Long live the Paras" only got 50 something views, here is the description to it:
Welcome to the 6th episode of the Legion traditions. This time, we're going to look at the 2nd REP which will celebrate St. Michael's Day on September 29. More importantly, we'll look at where the date of this holiday comes from and why St. Michael? Who exactly is he, where is he in the hierarchy of angels.
Then we'll look at those pesky shirt creases, which are so annoying and hard to iron, especially on a new shirt,
Then we'll look at the green beret, why that particular color.
Did you know that it was the 13th DBLE who was the first to wear a beret? And that the "13" never wore the "Bonnet de Police" which was the official name of the Calot.
You will notice that these three subjects have a common point: Indochina.
I would like to wish everyone in the name of the Cervens: a French Foreign Legion forum: A Happy St. Michael! At the same time, I would like to thank all those of the forum who contributed to this video, especially "Kronenberg" & Le Petit Caporal (LPC).

I had even translated it into French with the same (lack of ) success on a different video.
Oh, well as the saying goes: you can lead a legionnaire to the foyer, but you can't make him drink. Or is it a horse to water? Whatever.
I would be interest in your color scheme, I'd given it a try, but without any success.
Here is where you can find my channel:

View attachment 7293
Did a recent visit Joseph..good stuff!😉

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Canons pointed downwards because the eletricacl cables are above... another thing we do, is....take off Bérets before embarking (rotor blades turning can sweep the béret into the méchanic

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
As the title says, I managed to upload this video with some legion songs. It was that or listen to engine noises,
I managed to get the Spanish National anthem in (while a German officer is talking - can't have it all)

to be watched and "liked" on YouTube, if you please.
Don't forget to enable the Subs.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Actually the opening shots of the video are the best part of the film. Even I have to admit it promises more than is to come. However, that should not stop you hitting the like button on YouTube. I'm not too sure what the German is doing with his rifle?
Boy, if only I could tell the Nato Multi Media where they are going wrong...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
PhotoFunia-1636262461.jpg

I have just post this and it's French equivalent on FB (or META) if there are any takers I'm deadly serious.

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Unfortunately I don't, even though I was singing in a choir at a young age. Until they found out where the noise comes from...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

You've the same video in English on my YouTube channel, if anyone is interested.

mq2.jpg

This is number 8 in the legion traditions playlist. This is the English version, there are 7other English videos in the same playlist,
The topics covered today are:
Legio patria Nostra,
The origin of the official logo of the Legion,
The origin of the name "legionnaires",
The "Regular".
The "White Cadres",
The origins of the legionnaire's code of honor,
"Honor and Fidelity" on our flags and standards
Many of these topics are taken for granted, as if they had always existed.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

I would like to say a special thank you to my Old buddy from OFF TRACK PLACES and to my masked assistant(e) Erika as well as to Beth Mullaney who provided the photo in an otherwise 'drab' presentation.
This year marks the centennial of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Arlington.
On October 24, 1921, the Unknown Soldier, who died on French soil in WWI, was ceremonially moved from Town Hall in Châlons-en-Champagne, France, to a special train bound for Le Havre.
On October 24, 2021, the town of Châlons re-created the historic event to commemorate the 100th anniversary with the participation of the U.S. European Command Joint Color Guard and Soldiers from U.S. Army Europe-Africa.
However the video does go on to mention the Pastor who had the original idea of creating a tomb for an unknown soldier.
It will show you how the 'cloak and dagger' efforts were put into place so that none could be sure if it wasn't their loved one lying in the tomb of the unknown soldier. Towards the end of the video you have the two poems translated.
Make sure that you watch the video, as I will be reciting a poem by an ancient legionnaire.
And also make sure that you have Subtitles enabled as I will be filling in the space with some info on the flag which drapes the coffin.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Very interesting Joe, didn't know there is a French unknown soldier too. I thought that was Mussolini's original idea! (The tomb is at the centre of the white mausoleum on the bottom pic)

Milite-Ignoto.jpg

tomba-del-milite-ignoto.jpg

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Very interesting Joe, didn't know there is a French unknown soldier too. I thought that was Mussolini's original idea! (The tomb is at the centre of the white mausoleum on the bottom pic)

View attachment 7319

View attachment 7318
I'm surprised there's not one in each country. I remember that one of our duties (romanian army, National Guard) was guarding the Monument of the Unknown Soldier...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

I would like to say a special thank you to my Old buddy from OFF TRACK PLACES and to my masked assistant(e) Erika as well as to Beth Mullaney who provided the photo in an otherwise 'drab' presentation.
This year marks the centennial of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Arlington.
On October 24, 1921, the Unknown Soldier, who died on French soil in WWI, was ceremonially moved from Town Hall in Châlons-en-Champagne, France, to a special train bound for Le Havre.
On October 24, 2021, the town of Châlons re-created the historic event to commemorate the 100th anniversary with the participation of the U.S. European Command Joint Color Guard and Soldiers from U.S. Army Europe-Africa.
However the video does go on to mention the Pastor who had the original idea of creating a tomb for an unknown soldier.
It will show you how the 'cloak and dagger' efforts were put into place so that none could be sure if it wasn't their loved one lying in the tomb of the unknown soldier. Towards the end of the video you have the two poems translated.
Make sure that you watch the video, as I will be reciting a poem by an ancient legionnaire.
And also make sure that you have Subtitles enabled as I will be filling in the space with some info on the flag which drapes the coffin.
A lovely reminder of Alan Seagars poem on this day of remembrance 👍

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Apparently there there are over 70 countries who have tombs of unknown soldiers. I was going to mention it in the video, however Alan's poem took up a lot more of my time than I expected. If I had had time, I would have gone on to say that at the place where he was killed, that his father went to visit the mass the grave (yard) He built a small chapel on the site.
Again time was against me, - BTW I have fixed the Subs which overrun into the Arlington slide. I would have mentioned that the soldier, an airman (Blaise, if my memory serves me correctly) was later identified using DNA, so now there are 3, not 4 unknown soldiers buried at Arlington.
Also, another interesting fact is the eternal flame. Jacky and John Kennedy were on a visit to Paris, shown around around by Charles de Gaulle, she was so impressed with the eternal flame that she had one installed at his grave site (which she now lies next to) at Arlington.
I could have also put a list of the more famous people who are also buried there, Joe Louis, the boxer for example...
It was the English who had the first idea to honor the unknown soldier, "he now is visited by queens and rests among kings". His grave is the only one that you cannot walk on.
Well that will teach me to be a better speaker I suppose, It'll certainly save me time.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
durban-cbd-cenotaph-art-deco-column-cnr-gardiner-smith-s-29-51-542-e-31-01-16.jpg

The Cenotaph in Durban, South Africa. There are no remains interred though. Unfortunately due to lack of care and maintenace as well as just general neglect most of the brass plaques containing the names of the soldiers from Durban killed have been since stolen. That is unfortunately how are war dead are treated in South Africa.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You have no idea what it takes to upload a video where I live during the weekend.

Marines with 2nd Tank Battalion, 2nd Marine Division (December 20, 1941 – May 5, 2021) and troops from the French Foreign Legion' 1ère REC maneuver and fire M1A1 Abrams and AMX-10RC tanks on a bilateral range during exercise Bold Alligator at Camp Lejeune, N.C., Oct. 27, 2017

Marines avec 2e Bataillon de chars, 2e Division de marines (20 décembre 1941 - 5 mai 2021) et les troupes de la Légion étrangère française' 1ère REC manœuvrent et tirent des chars M1A1 Abrams et AMX-10RC sur une plage bilatérale au cours de l'exercice Bold Alligator au Camp Lejeune, Caroline du Nord, le 27 octobre 2017

Last edited: