a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• The Forum will be unavailable within a few hours while we are fixing/upgrading

Just created my very own you tube channel & facebook page.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Thanks shirly, out of all those people who are on here, the only person to leave a comment is the one one person who it is sure will never join the legion. :oops::rolleyes:
I wouldn't be so sore Joe. :)

As for me. I didn't watch last couple video. I'm kinda short with time this days. I would watch it soon.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm hoping to bring out the video.
Job Offer : French foreign legionnaire (revisited) today. It is by far my most popular video and the worst that I have made on the subject ! I will include the various regiments. I will of course let everyone know when I have brought it out.
You never know, it may inspire a "long time lurker" to leave a like or even subscribe to it :oops: o_O.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1623254956925.png

When the curtains draw back, you see the sunrise with the word The goal. After 2 seconds the kepi begins to appear. 3.5 seconds later the words, "but first of all we have to get you into Aubagne.
If I wasn't in a hurry, i could have made it onw of my best films yet.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1623397370706.png
The video is called France and its NATO allies. I've got a couple more to upload over the weekend.

This video includes a video whom I have to show my enormous gratitude to Natomultimedia.tv for enabling me to upload it. The video is about a recent multinational NATO exercise which took place place last month and this month (June). For the moment I haven't found any footage showing French troops, but it's early days yet. I think that you'll agree with me that it's a pretty action packed video. I especially appreciated the 12.5 sniper's rifle loading in slow motion. I have a couple more videos on the same exercise to load up onto this play list. If anyone can tell me what the significance of the feathers in the helmets is, it would be much appreciated. I take that they are Cpls or Sgts? in charge of a group?

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Thanks shirly, out of all those people who are on here, the only person to leave a comment is the one one person who it is sure will never join the legion. :oops::rolleyes:
If you don´t mind me asking who is that?
I am sure a lot watch it Joseph. Not everyone will comment.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
While we're on the subject, yesterday I uploaded another film,

1623543980329.png

It's called NATO allies Part 2

I was hoping to Upload another video on the Queen Elizabeth air craft carrier, but the internet is extremely slow at the moment. It's another long weekend (roll of eyes) and the weather isn't good, so most people who come down from the capitol will stay indoors and saturate the internet.
Did you know that the country that I'm in has the second most public holidays in the world, second only to Burma.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1624290484173.png
You would have to see the slide just before this one to understand the write up which 'flies in' 2.5 seconds into the slide. Of course to do that you'll have to watch the video. o_O:eek::eek:o_O.This one's called the legion's combat hand gestures and signals. There is a bunch of vocabulary in there that will surely come in handy in Castel. It's on the cover of my channel, in case anyone was worried about having to commit themselves.

Actually it's called Legion combat Hand Gestures and Signals.

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
View attachment 6949

My latest video on Youtube channel. It's Marsouins and the US Marines. I have put in subtitles (a first on my part).
If you don't know what a Marsouin is, then check out the video. The ones in the video are in the same battalion as 2 REI, 1 REC and 1 REG.
Did you know that they were created the same year as the Legion in 1800 and something ?
That's a Marine Corps Osprey. turned out to be quite a replacement to the CH-46

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Here is a very short video called Steadfast Defender, NATO wraps it up. It's only 1min 40 in length.

Can you please watch it on YouTube, and if you leave a like, no-one will know that it's you.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I loaded this up yesterday.
French & Americans training side by side in Djibouti, The corn of Africa.

I would like to give the credit to : Airman 1st class Hannah Strobel 1st Combat Camera Squadron for making of this video, Remember to click on the CC button at the beginning of the video in order to get the subtitles. I was tempted to put the title as les Ricains s'entraîne. The CECAD or Combat and toughening up center at Djibouti (Centre d’entraînement au combat et d’aguerrissement de Djibouti), welcomes a new detachment of US soldiers. This is of course the old CECAP of the 13 DBLE. See "A legionnaire's trip down memory lane : CECAP", where I spent a year out of my two year posting. Take note that not only do they do pull ups, but there is also sit ups, push-ups and the rope. For all those who are thinking about joining and those of you who are on Cervens forum (where I have repeated often enough about varying your training and rope climbing) take note. For the anciens who have already done CECAP, you will remember that those exercises were during and after the final exam which was the hand to hand combat, or in French 'Corps à corps'.

1624487550346.png

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Need some help:
Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force (SP MARTF) Crises response 3 BAT 8th Marine Regiment.
A friend of mine from OFF TRACK PLACES has sent me a video of them training with 2 REI. Only he admits that he doesn't know anything about them.

If anyone can tell me where I can find some info on the above, I'd be most grateful. I have naturally asked UMSCRET, however, I thought that I'd also toss it to the wind as it's quite urgent.

I'm working on another video with Erika at the moment called:
Time for the legion. It will give you the run down of a "typical" legion day, with the times in French, so that anyone who is serious about learning French before they go can at least have the fundamentals of telling the time

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It's the Osprey nowadays. I got the info I need from USMCRET :love: so hopefully I'll be bringing it out later on today after the video: Time for the legion. Which in my opinion will be a must watch for those who are going to join as it gives a timeline, in French, s'il te plait,of a working day in the legion. It should be coming out this morning.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Before I ask you to watch this and leave a like on YOUTUBE, read the following:

There is no way to see who liked your YouTube comment or video, and likewise there is no way to see who gave you a downvote. YouTube keeps these comment likes or dislikes private for the safety and security of users, but it's likely a safe bet anyone who left a positive comment on your comment also liked it.

The intro from our very own USMCRET.

If you are a regular to my channel then there is no point in me telling you about the 2 REI (legendary) what you may not be so familiar with is the SP-MSGTF. I had to ask someone who is in the know USMCRET from Cervens -a French foreign Legion forum. Here is his answer word for word:

"All, right, so a SPMAGTF, is always something the Marine Corps has forward deployed. What it is, is about 2,000 Marines Embarked upon Naval ships. If you are in the Atlantic it is referred to as a "Med Float." Med is for Mediterranean, Float is us being forward deployed on amphibious ships. There will be a certain number of fixed wing aircraft on carriers, a fixed number of rotary wing aircraft on smaller ships like the Iwo Jima, suited for Helicopter or Vertical Take Off Landing aircraft like the Harriers or new F-35.. There is a shore party aboard amphibious landing landing ships carrying USMC Amtracks. What it really boils down to is a complete USMC Air/Ground Task Force ready to strike anywhere around the world in a moments notice. We also have the same deployed in the Pacific, they refer it to a "WestPac." so from Grunts, Engineers, Fixed Wing, Rotary Wing, and Amphibious Assault vehicles we are ready to respond in an instant. What it really is, is a Marine Expeditionary Unit. See this link, hope it helps https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/26th_Ma... Always one in the Atlantic and Pacific ready to bring the pain"

I'll bring out my video, 'Time for the legion' (a must watch for those who are going to join) as soon as the Google gets itself sorted out. I won't be putting it on here, quite simply because I know that most of you don't even bother to click on the Watch sur YouTube

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Time for the legion.

Time for the legion or a day in the life of a legionnaire. The video is part of the French for foreign Legionnaires program. It will give you the rundown of a typical working day, in French. My masked assistant will give you time to read the translation and the comments that I have added. One thing that is worth noting is the pronunciation, which is why I have asked Erika to repeat the word the word stage.

I have also written out the times, once, so that you can see how they are spelt. I would recommend that you follow the video for the first time rather than just listening to what is being spoken,.Of course there is no such thing as a typical day in any army. The aim is that you learn the key words and phrases.
The whole aim of my channel is to help you on your voyage to Aubagne, (see Job offer Legionnaire: part 3 of how to physically get there), through Castelnaudary and onto your regiment
And if you like it, then let me know by leaving a like. If you want more of these videos then subscribe, it's for free and you've nothing to lose.

1625377471064.png