a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Created my own YouTube channel

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks for all your contributions lads, keep 'em coming. I'm going to add some typical phrases to be translated before hand such as "can you tell me if this is the correct line (metro or train) to take to get to X." and "Could you, please point me in the right direction for Fort de Nogent".
Now some of you will be saying how can you miss a huge fort in a Paris suburb? You'd be surprised !

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The list.jpg
For the more observant of you, you will notice a spare slot below the socks, if anyone has any ideas of how to fill it in... will be covered in the vanity case.

a must things to take.jpg
Dettol soap is a must. In the next frame are: nail clippers, nail file and nail brush. For obvious reasons. Betadine antiseptic solution with some swabs. Tweezers to get any tiny splinters out.
Cotton ear buds. Although you should use an ear solution before joining as cotton buds tend to push the wax further in towards the tampon. And a small pair of scissors (optional).
All this to be placed in a water proof shower bag and your soap in a plastic soap container.

So come on gang, I need a bit of help here.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
coming out tomorrow, only English explanations, but I will put the French version of the checklist and maybe the Nepali version.PhotoFunia-1628418017.jpg

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It's done:

https://www.youtube.com/c/French4ForeignLegionnaires

I have created a checklist for those who have decided to join the French foreign legion. The idea is that you pick up the list and tick off what you need. The video is 15 minutes long because it is more than just a list. There has to be some explanations and references to other videos. I have done the same list in both French and Nepalese at the end of the video.
1628510115294.png
Why French, because there are so many African countries who speak French. Why Nepalese because they are by far the most people who watch my videos. I'm not saying that they are the most people who have subscribed... But the statistics show that they like my videos. Again I'm not saying that they are the ones who "like" my videos, but I thought that I'd thank them in my own way, I actually uploaded the checklist in Nepali twice, at the end, in case they didn't have a chance to freeze the frame.

J'ai créé une liste de contrôle pour ceux qui ont décidé de rejoindre la Légion étrangère française. L'idée est que vous récupérez la liste et cochez ce dont vous avez besoin. La vidéo dure 15 minutes car c'est plus qu'une simple liste. Il doit y avoir des explications et des références à d'autres vidéos. J'ai fait la même liste en français et en népalais à la fin de la vidéo.

Pourquoi le français, car il y a tellement de pays africains qui parlent français. Pourquoi les népalais car ce sont de loin les personnes qui regardent le plus mes vidéos. Je ne dis pas que ce sont les personnes qui se sont le plus abonnées... Mais les statistiques montrent qu'elles aiment mes vidéos. Encore une fois je ne dis pas que ce sont eux qui "aiment" mes vidéos, mais j'ai pensé que je les remercierais à ma façon,

मैले फ्रान्सेली विदेशी सेना मा सामेल हुने निर्णय गरेको छ को लागी एक चेकलिस्ट बनाएको छु। विचार यो हो कि तपाइँ सूची उठाउनुहुन्छ र तपाइँलाई के चाहिन्छ बन्द गर्नुहोस्। भिडियो १५ मिनेट लामो छ किनकि यो मात्र एक सूची भन्दा बढी छ। त्यहाँ केहि स्पष्टीकरण र अन्य भिडियोहरु को सन्दर्भ हुनु पर्छ। मैले भिडियो को अन्त्य मा दुबै फ्रेन्च र नेपाली मा एउटै सूची गरेको छु। किन फ्रेन्च, किनकि त्यहाँ धेरै अफ्रिकी देशहरु छन् जो फ्रेन्च बोल्छन्। किन नेपालीहरु किनकी उनीहरु सबै भन्दा धेरै छन् जो मेरो भिडियोहरु हेर्छन्। म भन्दिन कि उनीहरु धेरै जसो सदस्यता लिएका छन् ... तर तथ्या show्कले देखाउँछ कि उनीहरु मेरो भिडियो मन पराउँछन्। फेरी म यो भन्दिन कि उनीहरु नै हुन् जो मेरो भिडियो "मनपराउँछन्", तर मैले सोचे कि म उनीहरुलाई आफ्नै तरीकाले धन्यवाद दिन्छु, मैले वास्तवमा दुई पटक चेकलिस्ट नेपालीमा अपलोड गरें, अन्त्यमा, यदि उनीहरु लाई फ्रेम फ्रीज गर्ने मौका थिएन।

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I've re-done this video, as I think what was putting people off was that every other other slide was in French. I've consequently separated the two. As always you can leave your likes on the YouTube channel.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
View attachment 7051
For the more observant of you, you will notice a spare slot below the socks, if anyone has any ideas of how to fill it in... will be covered in the vanity case.

a must things to take.jpg
Dettol soap is a must. In the next frame are: nail clippers, nail file and nail brush. For obvious reasons. Betadine antiseptic solution with some swabs. Tweezers to get any tiny splinters out.
Cotton ear buds. Although you should use an ear solution before joining as cotton buds tend to push the wax further in towards the tampon. And a small pair of scissors (optional).
All this to be placed in a water proof shower bag and your soap in a plastic soap container.

So come on gang, I need a bit of help here.
I've read that if I bring my debit/credit card , it will be destroyed and I shoukd bring a small amount of cash only. Is this not the case?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I've read that if I bring my debit/credit card , it will be destroyed and I shoukd bring a small amount of cash only. Is this not the case?
How will you get home if you do not get accepted? Why do you think that I directed you to this particular page. Go to the channel and learn.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You have even given the post where it shows the checklist, with the box to tick off Wallet, credit cards and money, a thumbs up.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I thought that I'd post a video on the USMC in honor of those who have left and joined the forum. As always, you are cordially invited to watch the video on Youtube rather than directly from here. I'm not sure why.

Credit to: U.S. Marine Corps video by Cpl. Jacob Wilson for making the video.

U.S. Marines with Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 3d Marine Regiment, conduct heavy weapons training during Large Scale Exercise 21 on Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Aug. 3, 2021. LSE21 is a live, virtual, and constructive exercise employing integrated command and control, intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance, and sensors across the joint force to expand battlefield awareness, share targeting data, and conduct long-range precision strikes in support of naval operations in a contested and distributed maritime environment.
In the video we will see the Humvee's successor, the JLTV the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle. If the Humvee was not orignaly designed with armor plating, the JLIV most certainly is.
We will also revisit the the Mk 19 grenade launcher as well as the M240.
Should anyone wish to join Cervens : a French foreign legion forum https://cervens.net/forum/index.php

You will be expected to introduce yourself when applying and once you are accepted. All are welcome.

Crédit à : vidéo du Corps des Marines des États-Unis par le Cpl. Jacob Wilson pour avoir fait la vidéo.

US Marines avec la Compagnie Bravo, 1er Bataillon, 3d Marine Regiment, effectuer une formation aux armes lourdes au cours de l'exercice à grande échelle 21 sur la base du Corps des Marines à Hawaii, le 3 août 2021. LSE21 est un exercice en direct, virtuel et constructif employant le commandement et le contrôle intégrés, renseignement, surveillance, reconnaissance et capteurs à travers la force interarmées pour élargir la connaissance du champ de bataille, partager des données de ciblage et mener des frappes de précision à longue portée à l'appui des opérations navales dans un environnement maritime contesté et distribué.
Dans la vidéo, nous verrons le successeur du Humvee, le JLTV le Joint Light Tactical Vehicle. Si le Humvee n'a pas été conçu à l'origine avec un blindage, le JLIV l'est très certainement.
Nous revisiterons également le lance-grenades Mk 19 ainsi que le M240.
Si quelqu'un souhaite rejoindre Cervens : un forum de la légion étrangère française https://cervens.net/forum/index.php

Vous devrez vous présenter au moment de postuler et une fois que vous serez accepté. Tout le monde est bienvenu.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It's done:

https://www.youtube.com/c/French4ForeignLegionnaires

I have created a checklist for those who have decided to join the French foreign legion. The idea is that you pick up the list and tick off what you need. The video is 15 minutes long because it is more than just a list. There has to be some explanations and references to other videos. I have done the same list in both French and Nepalese at the end of the video.
View attachment 7056
Why French, because there are so many African countries who speak French. Why Nepalese because they are by far the most people who watch my videos. I'm not saying that they are the most people who have subscribed... But the statistics show that they like my videos. Again I'm not saying that they are the ones who "like" my videos, but I thought that I'd thank them in my own way, I actually uploaded the checklist in Nepali twice, at the end, in case they didn't have a chance to freeze the frame.

J'ai créé une liste de contrôle pour ceux qui ont décidé de rejoindre la Légion étrangère française. L'idée est que vous récupérez la liste et cochez ce dont vous avez besoin. La vidéo dure 15 minutes car c'est plus qu'une simple liste. Il doit y avoir des explications et des références à d'autres vidéos. J'ai fait la même liste en français et en népalais à la fin de la vidéo.

Pourquoi le français, car il y a tellement de pays africains qui parlent français. Pourquoi les népalais car ce sont de loin les personnes qui regardent le plus mes vidéos. Je ne dis pas que ce sont les personnes qui se sont le plus abonnées... Mais les statistiques montrent qu'elles aiment mes vidéos. Encore une fois je ne dis pas que ce sont eux qui "aiment" mes vidéos, mais j'ai pensé que je les remercierais à ma façon,

मैले फ्रान्सेली विदेशी सेना मा सामेल हुने निर्णय गरेको छ को लागी एक चेकलिस्ट बनाएको छु। विचार यो हो कि तपाइँ सूची उठाउनुहुन्छ र तपाइँलाई के चाहिन्छ बन्द गर्नुहोस्। भिडियो १५ मिनेट लामो छ किनकि यो मात्र एक सूची भन्दा बढी छ। त्यहाँ केहि स्पष्टीकरण र अन्य भिडियोहरु को सन्दर्भ हुनु पर्छ। मैले भिडियो को अन्त्य मा दुबै फ्रेन्च र नेपाली मा एउटै सूची गरेको छु। किन फ्रेन्च, किनकि त्यहाँ धेरै अफ्रिकी देशहरु छन् जो फ्रेन्च बोल्छन्। किन नेपालीहरु किनकी उनीहरु सबै भन्दा धेरै छन् जो मेरो भिडियोहरु हेर्छन्। म भन्दिन कि उनीहरु धेरै जसो सदस्यता लिएका छन् ... तर तथ्या show्कले देखाउँछ कि उनीहरु मेरो भिडियो मन पराउँछन्। फेरी म यो भन्दिन कि उनीहरु नै हुन् जो मेरो भिडियो "मनपराउँछन्", तर मैले सोचे कि म उनीहरुलाई आफ्नै तरीकाले धन्यवाद दिन्छु, मैले वास्तवमा दुई पटक चेकलिस्ट नेपालीमा अपलोड गरें, अन्त्यमा, यदि उनीहरु लाई फ्रेम फ्रीज गर्ने मौका थिएन।
Joe, may have missed this before but if you are coming from places like the US our electrical outlets and range of power are different, have a kit that has the adapters and such. Every trip to Iraq we make sure we have this if we bring electronics from the States.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Joe, may have missed this before but if you are coming from places like the US our electrical outlets and range of power are different, have a kit that has the adapters and such. Every trip to Iraq we make sure we have this if we bring electronics from the States.
I have put that in my checklist under "charger / Multi(plug)" which should go on the plane with you in case you are separated from luggage. I have also added other things such as the QR code being also in the paper version. For those who are going to join, the video is more than just a list.

But changing the subject here, what about this JLTV, can you tell me anything interesting about it? What are the drawbacks?

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm old now but condoms and beer money would be at the top of the list. Clothes you are standing up in. ID, acceptable, take the ear ring out so some C/Ch doesn't rip it off, ......Sorry, 1982.....on a serious note can you still join at the various Poste de Recruitement, a favourite for the Brits used to be Marseille, during the World Cup in '82 that's as far as they got before their money ran out! The Germans preferred Strasbourg. Just interested. Knew Petit caporal back in the day, he'll probably shed some light on this. Stay safe all. Best from Africa. M.

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Did I say condoms, silly me, nobody gave a toss back then', used to treat at least 2 Leg's a week for chaude pisse in Djib, 20mg trobicine and 2 26g needles with 1 10 mg syringe. That shit was thick. Use to hold the needle between thumb and forefinger, slap their bum and then plant it. LOL, easier to go in, cos'they relaxed after the slap. Enuff! Off to work, my budget is calling.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Maim,

You can still join in Marseille, (Malmousque). Strasbourg, Perpignan and Bordeaux among other places,

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have put that in my checklist under "charger / Multi(plug)" which should go on the plane with you in case you are separated from luggage. I have also added other things such as the QR code being also in the paper version. For those who are going to join, the video is more than just a list.

But changing the subject here, what about this JLTV, can you tell me anything interesting about it? What are the drawbacks?
Most things in the US small appliances and phones use 110 volts where as larger items that draw a lot of power like air conditioners draw 220, this will fry our electronics

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
View attachment 7047
Where to start in the French foreign legion with its numerous traditions and customs and its unwritten laws. I thought that I would start with the legionnaires television. These four items are that which the civilian population most know about the foreign legionnaires.
Par où commencer dans la Légion étrangère avec ses nombreuses traditions et coutumes et ses lois non écrites. Je pensais que je commencerais par la télévision des légionnaires. Ces quatre éléments sont ceux que la population civile connaît le mieux sur les légionnaires étrangers.

Jahām̐ yasakō dhērai paramparāharu ra paramparāharu ra yasakō alikhita kānūnaharu saṅga phrānsēlī vidēśī sēnā mā śurū garna kō lāgī. Malā'ī lāgyō ki ma legionnaires ṭēlibhijana saṅga śurū hunēcha. Yī cāra vastuharu hun ki nāgarika janasaṅkhyā dhērai vidēśī legionnaires kō bārē mā thāhā cha.

I must apologize to the ‘anciens from Quratier Lapasset’ for not having found a photo to work from from the days where everything was folded into the lockers half the size of those that are now issued to the legionnaires. In those days all of your uniforms were folded into a rectangle with the front of the rectangle (one of the short sides) the width of a stools’ legs.

Je dois m'excuser auprès des « anciens du Quratier Lapasset » de n'avoir pas trouvé de photo pour travailler du temps où tout était plié dans des casiers deux fois moins grands que ceux qui sont maintenant distribués aux légionnaires. À cette époque, tous vos uniformes étaient pliés en un rectangle avec le devant du rectangle (l'un des côtés courts) de la largeur des pieds d'un tabouret.

Mam̐ 'Quratier Lapasset bāṭa ēnsi'ansa' mā māphī māgnu parcha juna dinaharu bāṭa kāma garna kō lāgī ēka phōṭō bhēṭi'ēna jahām̐ sabai cījaharu lā'īkaraharu mā ādhā sā'ija jō aba legionnaires lā'ī jārī garī'ēkō cha kō ādhā ākāra mā rākhi'ēkō thiyō. Tī dinaharumā tapā'im̐kō vardī kō sabai ēka āyatākāra kō sāmanē āyatākāra saṅga jōḍi'ēkō thiyō (chōṭō pakṣaharu madhyē ēka) mala kō khuṭṭā kō cauḍā'ī.

Your ‘Television’ also had your ‘gamelles’ (mess tins) with your fork and spoon crossed in the center on one side. And your cup and water bottle on the other side. I’m told that this dates back to the days when the legion was in Algeria. That way the NCO could see at a glance if the legionnaire’s kit was complete and if it was clean.

Votre « Télévision » avait également vos « gamelles » avec votre fourchette et votre cuillère croisées au centre d’un côté. Et ton quart et ton bidon de l'autre côté. On me dit que cela remonte à l'époque où la légion était en Algérie. De cette façon, le sous-officier pouvait voir en un coup d'œil si le kit du légionnaire était complet et s'il était propre.

Tapā'im̐kō'ṭēlibhijana' mā tapā'im̐kō kām̐ṭā ra cam'maca ēka chē'umā kēndra mā pāra saṅga tapā'im̐kō'gamelles' (mēsa ṭina) thiyō. Ra arkō paṭṭi tapā'im̐kō kapa ra pānī kō bōtala. Malā'ī bhani'ēkō cha ki yō tī dinaharu kō lāgī hō jaba sēnā aljēriyā mā thiyō. Yasa tarīkālē NCO ēka najara mā dēkhna sakdacha yadi legionnaire kō kiṭa pūrā bhayō ra yadi yō saphā thiyō.

On the subject of the colors of the legion. No-one really knows for sure. It has to be remembered that the legion was a, if not small part of the French army, I would dare to say insignificant part. Cannon fodder would not be too much to describe them back in those very early days. No-one would care less if a foreigner without papers died in one of France’s many colonies.

Au sujet des couleurs de la légion. Personne ne le sait vraiment avec certitude. Il faut se rappeler que la légion était une partie, sinon une petite partie de l'armée française, j'oserais dire une partie insignifiante. La chair à canon ne serait pas de trop pour les décrire à ces tout premiers jours. Personne ne s'en soucierait moins si un étranger sans papiers mourait dans l'une des nombreuses colonies de France.

So whether it was the Swiss who brought the colors… at the time when the legion was coming up to its centenary they were the most prominent colors. We have all heard of the expression to “rally to the colors” and generally to use them to maintain unit cohesiveness. So the legion adopted the colors green and red. At what date and its origins I cannot say for sure.

Alors que ce soit les Suisses qui ont apporté les couleurs… à l'époque où la légion approchait de son centenaire, c'étaient les couleurs les plus marquantes. Nous avons tous entendu parler de l'expression « se rallier aux couleurs » et généralement de les utiliser pour maintenir la cohésion de l'unité. La légion adopta donc les couleurs vert et rouge. À quelle date et ses origines, je ne peux pas dire avec certitude.

I'd like to say a special thank-you to Adrian Fryer & Eugene Stoner for confirming that the 1 REC still use the couvre Képi. Now that IS a regiment who keeps it's traditions alive.
One wonders where your loyalty’s lie when it comes to regiments!🤔..but having served all those years in the legion it must be difficult!..one can only say.. legio patria Nostra!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
One wonders where your loyalty’s lie when it comes to regiments!🤔..but having served all those years in the legion it must be difficult!..one can only say.. legio patria Nostra!
First and foremost is the REP, there is no question about that. Secondly 3ème Reich, the others were OK but...