a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Created my own YouTube channel

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
durban-cbd-cenotaph-art-deco-column-cnr-gardiner-smith-s-29-51-542-e-31-01-16.jpg

The Cenotaph in Durban, South Africa. There are no remains interred though. Unfortunately due to lack of care and maintenace as well as just general neglect most of the brass plaques containing the names of the soldiers from Durban killed have been since stolen. That is unfortunately how are war dead are treated in South Africa.
the South Africans I knew in the legion were tough and didn’t take kindly to discipline!. much like the merde anglaise!😉just bloody glad they were on our side!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Guys I've been quite busy with my channel, here is the one out of 4 that I have have recently posted. The binôme of this one in is in French and as I'm under the impression that most of you are waiting to be taught French once you are in, then there is no point in putting it on here.
In fact, I've only put this one on here because I'm quite proud of it. Not so much the quality of the making, but rather the contents. I won't bother to ask you to watch it on Youtube as I know that most of you can't @rsed.
I forgot to mention that it was the anniversary of the 4ème RE on the 15th, silly me. If anyone is asking what the 4ème RE is? then maybe you're not ready for the legion yet.

This video is entirely in English as I have done the same in French.
I thought that I would honor the 'bigors' of the 3rd RAMa, who, along with other 'marsouins' and the Spahis and some regiments of the legion make up the prestigious 6th Light Armored Brigade.
Although the video itself is quite short, mainly about the Caesar's mobile Cannon. There are over 200 years of glorious past for the '3rd', which is the heir to the 3rd Marine Artillery Regiment created in Rochefort by Napoleon Bonaparte.
I have chosen to tell you about another era, that of the 2nd world war, when all that was available to the troops was an old 73mm mountain gun, which had to be moved around in order to make the enemy think that there was more than one.
And about Colonel Leclerc, who went down in history by making an oath...
If you are a history buff then do check out 'the tomb of the unknown soldier'

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys I've been quite busy with my channel, here is the one out of 4 that I have have recently posted. The binôme of this one in is in French and as I'm under the impression that most of you are waiting to be taught French once you are in, then there is no point in putting it on here.
In fact, I've only put this one on here because I'm quite proud of it. Not so much the quality of the making, but rather the contents. I won't bother to ask you to watch it on Youtube as I know that most of you can't @rsed.
I forgot to mention that it was the anniversary of the 4ème RE on the 15th, silly me. If anyone is asking what the 4ème RE is? then maybe you're not ready for the legion yet.

This video is entirely in English as I have done the same in French.
I thought that I would honor the 'bigors' of the 3rd RAMa, who, along with other 'marsouins' and the Spahis and some regiments of the legion make up the prestigious 6th Light Armored Brigade.
Although the video itself is quite short, mainly about the Caesar's mobile Cannon. There are over 200 years of glorious past for the '3rd', which is the heir to the 3rd Marine Artillery Regiment created in Rochefort by Napoleon Bonaparte.
I have chosen to tell you about another era, that of the 2nd world war, when all that was available to the troops was an old 73mm mountain gun, which had to be moved around in order to make the enemy think that there was more than one.
And about Colonel Leclerc, who went down in history by making an oath...
If you are a history buff then do check out 'the tomb of the unknown soldier'
Good one Joe, do you agree the thought that TE Lawrence s solo forays into the desert 🐪 was the birth of the idea of the LRDG?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Good one Joe, do you agree the thought that TE Lawrence s solo forays into the desert 🐪 was the birth of the idea of the LRDG?
His Solo forays perhaps not, during the first world war, the archeologist led Arab troops. One of his specialties was to to take out a bridge without completely destroying it, meaning that at sometime later on, it could still be repaired.
Just so that everyone knows who we are talking about, Lawrence of Arabia.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Need I remind everyone that the idea is to go on the YouTube (and like - if you like :giggle:) you can even leave a comment.

Canjuers is one of my old stamping grounds from the REP.
More often than not we would have to jump into there.
It is the biggest training ground in Occidental Europe.
A L'affut toujours | Always Ready.
U.S. Marines from 10th Marine Regiment, 2d Marine Division, and French Marines from the 3rd Regiment D'Artillerie De Marine participate in a bilateral visit in Southern France, Oct. 21 - Nov. 10, 2021.
During the 3-week bilateral visit, U.S. and French Marines bolstered relationships and increased interoperability between the forces through field artillery and amphibious training events.
On the agenda for these young Marines, for some of them it was their first outside of the US :
Abseiling,
un-armed combat,
river crossing,
French small arms instruction
Nautical obstacle course...

and of course the intro to the Caesar, Howitzer.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
His Solo forays perhaps not, during the first world war, the archeologist led Arab troops. One of his specialties was to to take out a bridge without completely destroying it, meaning that at sometime later on, it could still be repaired.
Just so that everyone knows who we are talking about, Lawrence of Arabia.
Yes he was a demolition expert & pioneered the use of motor vehicles for desert use - adapting a rolls Royce , ‘blue mist’......although he could ride camels as well. He was known to be hardcore & resilient although probably not suited to FFL due to him telling officers what to do rather than the other way round! Made Colonel in the Army, gave it all up to join the RAF as a ranker.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Français, Itilano, Русский,
When I first came across the Bersaglieri in a video that I had posted, I had asked, no-one in particular what the feather was for.
Now here is the answer:

Meet the Italian Army’s Bersaglieri
The ‘Bersaglieri’, or sharpshooters in Italian, are a unique unit of the Italian Army who trace their roots back to the 19th century. An elegant black feather plumage marks them out in the field. Once made from natural feathers and used as camouflage, the elaborate decorations are now synthetic, and the soldiers of the Bersaglieri wear them as a badge of pride.
In the nineteenth century, Bersaglieri acted as skirmishers or shock troops, moving from place to place by running.
An elaborate system of bugle calls allowed their units to be deployed and commanded quickly, singly or in combination. The tradition of running continues today in parades and during barracks duty.
1st Corporal-Major (I must include the ranks next time) Giusy Cosentino of the 1st Bersaglieri Regiment talks us through the regiment’s history, and why she is proud to be a member.
The 1st Bersaglieri Regiment took part in the NATO exercise Steadfast Defender 2021 in Romania.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

When I first came across the Bersaglieri in a video that I had posted, I had asked, no-one in particular what the feather was for.
Now here is the answer:

The ‘Bersaglieri’, or sharpshooters in Italian, are a unique unit of the Italian Army who trace their roots back to the 19th century. An elegant black feather plumage marks them out in the field. Once made from natural feathers and used as camouflage, the elaborate decorations are now synthetic, and the soldiers of the Bersaglieri wear them as a badge of pride.
In the nineteenth century, Bersaglieri acted as skirmishers or shock troops, moving from place to place by running.
An elaborate system of bugle calls allowed their units to be deployed and commanded quickly, singly or in combination. The tradition of running continues today in parades and during barracks duty.
1st Corporal-Major (I must include the ranks next time) Giusy Cosentino of the 1st Bersaglieri Regiment talks us through the regiment’s history, and why she is proud to be a member.
The 1st Bersaglieri Regiment took part in the NATO exercise Steadfast Defender 2021 in Romania.
As always- the stylish Italians.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy

Now here is the answer:

The Bersaglieri played a very important role in the unification of Italy when on the 20 of September 1870 were the first unit to enter in Rome during the capture of the eternal city from the Vatican State and the Pope, at the time King of Rome. That was the last bit of Italian territory to be annexed. Fun fact before that capitals of Italy were, at different times, Turin, Milan and Florence.

romaitaliana.jpg

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi guys, I have just downloaded a video (2014) sent to me by my mate from OFF TRACK PLACES. It's a weapons exchange between 2 REI and the USMC. It's a good one. I'll upload it to my channel at the end of the day and on here tomorrow.
Why will it take me so long to upload it?
For one, I'm off on a run and two, there is a thermal night night sight which I have to look up and put out some info about.
One interesting thing is that adj or adj chef, I only quickly browsed through it is an anglophone. He is probably the chef de section. I remember back in the day when on your Sgt's course (you don't have to do it to be aware of what is going on) you were awarded extra points for being an Anglophone, I'm not too sure if it is still the case.
It was back when France was taking more interest in NATO. Yes of course France has always been interested in NATO, in fact the HQ was in France to begin with. I might just put out a video about it. Well that will explain why the official languages used are English and French.
Anyway, I've got to finish off here and get my run done. It's actually a jog these days :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Now this one, hopefully will be worth all the effort that I put into getting it out. I first posted this on my channel yesterday, only to find out that there was no sound. I have only just managed to get the sound working.
So make sure that I get a like out of you, on YouTube STP (s'Il te Plaît).

Deutsch, português, français
08 July, 2014 Marines attached to Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task
Force (SP-MAGTF) Crisis Response from 3rd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment and Legionnaires from 2nd Foreign Infantry Regiment of France’s 6th Light Armored Brigade familiarized themselves with each other's small arms at Camp des Garrigues, France.
Here you will see an an English Adjudant-Chef (WO1) demonstrating (at the time) France's new FÉLIN equipment, although it was originally designed for the FAMAS, it was easily converted to fit it's replacement, the HK 416.
After the end video, you will see that the FÉLIN system is more than just a scope, it is also the body armor and helmet.

The two units then conducted integrated suppression drills. The Marines and Legionnaires conducted a bilateral training evolution between 8 and 11 July that consisted of foreign weapons familiarization, live fire ranges, ordinance familiarization and training in military operations in urban terrain.
To be brief, they then go on to do what they do best, soldiering.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Now this one, hopefully will be worth all the effort that I put into getting it out. I first posted this on my channel yesterday, only to find out that there was no sound. I have only just managed to get the sound working.

Now with the sound on you can easily spot that the Adjudant that explaines at the beginning the FELIN visor is a Dutchman!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

for those who have nostalgia about the FAMAS. Check out the difference in teaching between the legion and the regulars. :confused::oops::rolleyes::whistle:
For those who are going to join; take note as you will learn about the FAMAS, why? Because there are still regular units which use and it and a few Africain countries.
The whole video is in English, French and Japanese.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

An action packed video.U.S. Marines with 8th Marine Regiment, Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force-Crisis Response-Africa (SPMAGTF-CR-AF)
After having received weapons familiarization classes on the French FAMAS taught by French Army Center for Urban Combat Training instructors at Camp Sissonne, France, 2016, now put it into practice.
During the training, SPMAGTF-CR-AF Marines had the opportunity to work in cooperation with a company of French Army soldiers, integrating their skills and resources including weaponry and military vehicles to form an effective battle plan, similar to what they may face in the event of a future crisis.
I don’t know who is driving the VBCI or the VAB however, the weapons are French, I am including in “French” The AT4 F2, although manufactured in Sweden, is done so for the French army.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Because I was told that the intro was too long:

let's not get description mixed up with intro for Gestos & Silva, who have just found their way onto the forum (I'm on form today guys ! Silva - the compass?). The idea is to watch the video, if you want to, no obligations, on YouTube. You also have the option of hitting the the thumbs up.
Here is the Description in English:
Description in English, French, Japanese, Portuguese (Brazilian). On the advice of my Mentor from Off Track Places, a quick intro and then "let the film commence". A quick side note, when we we went to ex-Yougo with the REP (we did NOT have blue helmets), we had to learn -and we were tested on - 10 phrases. We were given them on a plastic card. This was as soon as we landed and boarded the buses. We were encouraged to practice them with the Yougo speakers in the company. During the training, SPMAGTF-CR-AF Marines had the opportunity to work in cooperation with a company of French Army soldiers, integrating their skills and resources including weaponry and military vehicles to form an effective battle plan, similar to what they may face in the event of a future crisis. This is what they have been training for over the last 03 weeks, the evacuation of their ex-pats and families. Now watch how they go about it. All goes well until suddenly they attacked by the bad guys… Don't forget to enable the Subs.*

A word to the wise, when translating in Jap, always use the reverse translator
*Don't forget to enable the Submarines.