Kirk Douglas

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Has anybody seen a film on French Infantry starring Kirk Douglas. The Regiment disgraces itself and three soldiers are made a example of and put before a firing squad. I be gratefull if anybody remembers the title as I bloody Cant.

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Took me a while to find here you are ;)

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/MyWebFilms/Oorlog/EnglischPathsGloryExtra.asp

PATHS OF GLORY

It's 1916. World War I has dragged on for two years, and become a stalemate of fortified trenches and heavy casualties. The French army wants to force a breakthrough, so General Mireau (George Macready) passes down a order to Colonel Dax (Kirk Douglas) to take German stronghold the Ant Hill at any cost. When the attack inevitably fails, Mireau orders three men court-martialed and executed for cowardice.

Those three are picked perversely or randomly to satisfy the Generals' blood thirst. Dax, a lawyer in civilian life, rises to the men's defense. He has to pull all his registers to rescue his men, because the cards are stacked against them. Mireau wants to cover up his actions and find a victim for the failure of the impossible attack.

Cpl K................

'Paths of Glory' is a classic and directed by Kubrick I think. Douglas & Lancaster made some amazing films (& a few real shockers, one about 2 ex cons doing one more job together springs to mind). As I'm starting to say 'they don't make them like they used to'.

Regards

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Yeah remember that one Lancaster and Douglas hi jack a train, another films title I can't remember.lol

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Maybe Im getting old but there hasn't been any decent films out recently. As far as Kirk Douglas is concerned his best film as far as I'm concerned is Spartacus, the other one which I thing was a tour de force was the one where he was Van Gogh.

The Vikings with Tony Curtis is pretty good also. It is a classic, winter sunday afternoon gas-fire up to high movie. 'Ace in the Hole' about a journalist playing out a story in order to get more copy is brilliant. As is 'The Arrangement' a pretty strange but vividly shot tale of a man loosing his mind working in an advertising agency. Saw an interview with him a couple of years ago after regaining his speech and manual dexterity after a stroke - the will and drive and intellect of the man is obvious and clearly contributed the amazing performance in Van Gogh.

Regards

Has anybody seen a film on French Infantry starring Kirk Douglas. The Regiment disgraces itself and three soldiers are made a example of and put before a firing squad. I be gratefull if anybody remembers the title as I bloody Cant.
...Yopu can catch up with this film on Turner Classic Movies (TCM).....

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
chemin-des-dames-premiere-guerre-mondiale-site-histoire-historyweb-9-1070x601.jpg chemin-des-dames-premiere-guerre-mondiale-site-histoire-historyweb-9-1070x601.jpg

Ce s'ra votre tour messieurs les gros De monter sur l'plateau Car si vous voulez faire la guerre Payez-la de votre peau!

Most viewed threads of the week

Top Bottom