Kiwi in Need of Change

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi all,

I've always been interested in military service, and while my home country, New Zealand and my country of residence, Australia both have a military, I'm reluctant to join as I've heard you receive incredibly good training, but are not likely to be able to put it to use, i.e go on deployment, therefore ive always had a interest in the French Foreign Legion.

I have no military background/experience, in fact I've been a Bartender/Barista as the only job I've ever had for the past 5 years, and while I enjoy it and everything it offers, you can only be told "this latte isn't hot enough" by an angry elderly person, or asked for a free birthday drink by obnoxious drunk girls on a girls night out, before it begins to get a slight bit old and stale, therefore I'm looking for what I would consider to be a much more fulfilling line of work.

I keep fairly active (go to the gym accross from my house, walk to/from work each day, go the beach and swim etc.) But what are some key fitness points I will need to achieve in order to pass selection? Am a non smoker and drink socially with workm mates

Additionally, in regards to a short term stay Visa, which I believe I can already obtain having a New Zealand passport, will I need a return ticket, or will saying if asked about only having a one-way ticket that I am going into the FFL suffice?

Any other things that you can suggest in regards to the selection process is greatly appreciated,

Regards
Jack

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Jack and welcome to the forum. A couple of questions, when are you thinking of joining? If you are serious about joining, is there a possibility of changing jobs? What I mean is your life seems fairly comfy. Walking to work and working out in the gym or going for a dip, isn't really a good preparation for legion life. And being a barman stroke barista (whatever that is) isn't the kind of work that will toughen you up.

If you're all right for money, I'd say laborer on a building site, get a few ampoules on the palms of your hands. As for a return ticket, you just have to tell them that you are going to travel around.
Think very carefully about what you are going to do. You will will consider people complaining about their espresso not being up to standard a compliment compared to some dim Pole screaming at you half in French and half in Polish with every other word Kurva.

Be careful what you say on here. We already know that you're a kiwi living in the land of OZ and that you are a barista:rolleyes: and that you make crappy coffee (by your own admission). Saying that, don't hesitate to ask questions. Use the search mode and check out the other posts.

OP
K
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Jack and welcome to the forum. A couple of questions, when are you thinking of joining? If you are serious about joining, is there a possibility of changing jobs? What I mean is your life seems fairly comfy. Walking to work and working out in the gym or going for a dip, isn't really a good preparation for legion life. And being a barman stroke barista (whatever that is) isn't the kind of work that will toughen you up.

If you're all right for money, I'd say laborer on a building site, get a few ampoules on the palms of your hands. As for a return ticket, you just have to tell them that you are going to travel around.
Think very carefully about what you are going to do. You will will consider people complaining about their espresso not being up to standard a compliment compared to some dim Pole screaming at you half in French and half in Polish with every other word Kurva.

Be careful what you say on here. We already know that you're a kiwi living in the land of OZ and that you are a barista:rolleyes: and that you make crappy coffee (by your own admission). Saying that, don't hesitate to ask questions. Use the search mode and check out the other posts.
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I would be looking at joining around the later end of 2019, so that I can be sure my fitness and mental are fully prepared for life with the Legion, as I understand it will be no easy undertaking, quite a far shot from the civilian job life I've had. In terms of a change of job, thats something I could look into, theres a fair few labourer jobs around where I live, to my knowledge anyway, so thanks for pointing that out, will take it into consideration.

As for coping it from a "dim pole" as you put it, I understand that would come with the job, and I expect it to come with joining the Legion aswell, wouldnt be quite right without it I say.

All in all, I do appreciate the reply and the honesty with it aswell, will definitely be taking all into consideration.

Thanks

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
The last paragraph in the late Alex Lochrie's book reads ''I keep reading on Web forums about wannabe legionnaires who are going to join in six months time, or next year, or whenever. Do you know something? They never will"....Alex use to be a member of this forum (R.I.P). Joining the Legion is not the boy scouts, you are not heading off for a summer jamboree. Make damn sure you know what you are getting into. 5 years is a big commitment. Travelling from Australia is a long way to go to get cold feet at the front gate. Also a big hit in the hip pocket. If you have a girlfriend dump her. Don't worry about the woman. A legionnaires uniform is one of life's great chick magnets. Train hard, remain focused. If you are determined to be a legionnaire, you have to be a selfish bastard. That includes not giving a stuff about what your family/friends say or think. All the best...almost forgot, why isn't my name in green? Been there, done that. I don't need the aggravation!

Last edited:

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
I'll ask the Boss right now, although there are a few other things that also need looking into. We'll just have to wait till he gets back to us.
No thanks mate... Like i said "I don't need the aggravation"

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I would be looking at joining around the later end of 2019,
Hi Jack, the end of 2019 is a long way away. Not only that, after living in OZ you will definitely feel the cold. That and recovering from the jet lag are not a good cocktail (even for a barista - I'm going to get round to looking up what it is). Actually you might want to look up the word in French in case the guy doing your interview doesn't know either, he might get it mixed up and put down profession - avocat :LOL:.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
KiwiJack97,

Welcome to the forum . Read posts from the Greens and take on board their advice. Especially note comment from Pink Floyd a distinguished former member of the REP who has returned to the forum under different name.

There are several others in Blue who have had military service. I am one as a FFL enthusiast. I also enjoy the banter and often post nonsense which is a privilege of age !

Kind regards and good luck in all your endeavours.

99% need not apply...….but I did !

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
KiwiJack97,

Welcome to the forum . Read posts from the Greens and take on board their advice. Especially note comment from Pink Floyd a distinguished former member of the REP who has returned to the forum under different name.

There are several others in Blue who have had military service. I am one as a FFL enthusiast. I also enjoy the banter and often post nonsense which is a privilege of age !

Kind regards and good luck in all your endeavours.

99% need not apply...….but I did !
Hi Chas, Anciens will note the irony of the term Pink Floyd. Kind regards...

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'll ask the Boss right now, although there are a few other things that also need looking into. We'll just have to wait till he gets back to us.
Now hold on.. I want my name in Gold colour... Bold & Gold...:D

Most viewed threads of the week