a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knee surgery

j.b

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I'm a 21 year old male from the UK.

I've always been interested in the Legion. I have wanted to join the military for a long time and had my application with the British Army, unfortunately 3 weeks before selection I ruptured my ACL grappling, this is a bar to entry in the British Army. On the positive note it has now given me a fire in my belly to try for the Legion as this is something I had always taken interest in.

My question is; has anyone here ever been through and passed selection with surgical scars or do you know anyone that has? And is there any advice any of you more experienced candidates, or actual legionnaires may have to offer me?

I f**ked up as a kid/young man and got no family, ties or real opportunity here for me anymore in the UK. If I could join the Legion I would like to make it a career.

Thank you all and any feedback or advice is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi mate and welcome,
Scars on your knees could present an issue, the usual advice is to take a letter from your doctor stating all is good with your knees now( the letter should be translated into French as well), also bringing x rays wouldn't be a bad idea. The doctor doing your medical might ask you to go to a civilian hospital to get further x rays. I believe the 2REP would definitely be out of the question though. Unfortunately with the Legion theres no way of knowing for sure without knocking on the big door! Good luck mate!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello j.b. and welcome to the forum. It's a difficult question to answer as we can't see the scars and none of us are qualified to give an answer even if we could.

As Snafu says, take along a letter from your GP and any x-rays. Ask your GP what x-rays might a doctor want to see before joining say, the T.A.

I don't want to crush your hopes, but the legion has to watch it's back. The assault course and running with back packs (8Km TAP) all take their toll on the knees. If you get injured - contrary to what may have been said in the past-:) the legion has to take care of you. Which means cost and explanations. 'Where did you get those scars from?' etc.

j.b

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies. I'll be sure to get access of my MRI/Xray's and a letter from my doctor.

There are also treatments you can get for scars to I heard to make them less prominent or even un noticeable. I haven't had the operation yet so I'm not sure how big the scars are going to be.

I've heard stories of doctors at the medical being extremely thorough, I've also heard stories of doctors not evening questioning scars during the medical, I'll just have to wait and find out.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
From what i seen at aubagne serious scars like that are a no no. But then again there has been stories of people getting through with their scars. So again there is no definitive answer from us here on the forum. If your that set on being a legionnaire have you considered getting a tattoo to cover the scars or try cover them? Then you wouldnt have to say anything to the legion at your own risk.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
j.b,

Welcome to the forum. If you can get a letter from your GP stating that your ACL is no longer an impediment to your mobility and that you are now fit. Well get it. Also have it translated into French and signed/witnessed by a Notary.

Then it is in the lap of the Gods. But take the chance and go for it.

Which Regt were you wishing to join ?

Kind regards- Chas.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I had key hole surgery on my knee in 1999 for my cartilage. The scars were very small. Soon faded but only your doctor can tell you what's best ...
Arthroscopy
An arthroscopy is a type of keyhole surgery. It uses a medical instrument called an arthroscope, which is a thin, flexible tube with bundles of fibre-optic cables inside that act as both a light source and camera.
Your surgeon will make a small incision on the front of your knee and insert the arthroscope.
The arthroscope will illuminate your knee joint and relay images of your knee to a television monitor. This will allow the surgeon to see the inside of your knee clearly.
Additional small incisions will be made in your knee so that other medical instruments can be inserted. The surgeon will use these instruments to remove the torn ligament and reconstruct your ACL.
Your surgeon will make a tunnel in your bone to pass the new tissue through.
The graft tissue will be positioned in the same place as the old ACL and held in place with screws or staples that will remain in your knee permanently.
Final examination
After the graft tissue has been secured, your surgeon will test that it's strong enough to hold your knee together.
They'll also check your knee has the full range of motion and that the graft keeps your knee stable when it's bent or moved.
When the surgeon is satisfied everything is working properly, they'll stitch the incisions closed and apply dressings.
After the procedure, you'll be moved to a hospital ward to begin your recovery.
Read more about recovering from knee surgery.
Page last reviewed: 14/06/2018
Next review due: 14/06/2021

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Had to give up wado Ryu Karate but when recovered i could do
From what i seen at aubagne serious scars like that are a no no. But then again there has been stories of people getting through with their scars. So again there is no definitive answer from us here on the forum. If your that set on being a legionnaire have you considered getting a tattoo to cover the scars or try cover them? Then you wouldnt have to say anything to the legion at your own risk.
Good idea...seen Pictures of people getting Bad burns also covered with Tattoos. Looked very good.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Had to give up wado Ryu Karate but when recovered i could do

Good idea...seen Pictures of people getting Bad burns also covered with Tattoos. Looked very good.

Aye, one of my friends had aimilar aurgery and the scars were really small. Easily covered by a tattoo i would think

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Aye, one of my friends had aimilar aurgery and the scars were really small. Easily covered by a tattoo i would think
Yes...the Prof said to me do you have a bike? Yes I said...he said every day 30 mins & gradually add Hills. Knee recovered without lots of Physio... LOL but took a year to heal. Had to give up wado Ryu Karate though. Keyhole surgery is great. Get both knees tattooed other wise it will Draw attention to the one knee ...!!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Whatever you do, tatts or x-rays, but not both. You can't hide from the legion doctor the scars and then turn around and say yes but..

j.b

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate the replies. I've got hold of some scar removal cream. I'm going to give the legion a shot as soon as my doctor gives me the green light. I'm under no illusion, chances of me getting in are slim as it is let alone with a scar on the knee, however I have read on this site of other people getting in with fairly prominent surgical scars. I'll take the chance

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
How was the scar obtained ?
Scar removal cream, must be applied as soon as possible after the wound !
French hospitals are now using (in some cases)...wild mountain thym honey. ..belive me or not

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate the replies. I've got hold of some scar removal cream. I'm going to give the legion a shot as soon as my doctor gives me the green light. I'm under no illusion, chances of me getting in are slim as it is let alone with a scar on the knee, however I have read on this site of other people getting in with fairly prominent surgical scars. I'll take the chance

j.b,

Good luck and go for it a.s.a.p.. If possible keep us informed as to your progress.:unsure:

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If you can’t make the Brit army why the hell would the Legion want you?

He was refused because of a policy that the British army in particular has about that particular injury, which the Legion doesn't. If he's fully healed with no pain, then he still has a chance