QUESTION Knives in the Legion?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Philippine
I know you cant bring weapons when you attempt to join, but what if you pass selection and are with your regiment? Can you buy your own combat knife?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I doubt that they are issued as standard kit but most have an Opinel knife for personal use. They come in various sizes.

I have used them for shooting/hunting and fishing all my life.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Opinel # 8...will rip the arse off a tin of beans in no time
Rusts quickly, and needs to be cleaned and oiled for protection (cleaning kit of your webbing has a small bottle of oil for your FAMAS, or whatever other weapon you use and a brush. I wouldn't recommend it for the 3REI, because of the humidity
They, Opinel make the same knife in different sizes (visit the site). Simplicity at it's best

La Gugiole (made not far from the 13 DBLE) Is my favourite.I used to do the collection.Craftsmanship at it's best. Again, visit the site

Flick knives are seriously reprimanded in France (some say, like me, more so than illegal 🔥 arms). So be warned all you wannabe me's
who come to France

Why a knife to defend your self when you can have a hammer and sickle to protect you, if you sign up with the P.C.F. (Parti Communist Francais) ?
I wonder about your mental stability at times, J.P.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Once you are in your regiment, yes of course you can buy your own knife, Gerbers and leatherman are favorites. You will be issued or told to buy an opinal during instruction.

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Philippine
Opinel # 8...will rip the arse off a tin of beans in no time
Rusts quickly, and needs to be cleaned and oiled for protection (cleaning kit of your webbing has a small bottle of oil for your FAMAS, or whatever other weapon you use and a brush. I wouldn't recommend it for the 3REI, because of the humidity
They, Opinel make the same knife in different sizes (visit the site). Simplicity at it's best

La Gugiole (made not far from the 13 DBLE) Is my favourite.I used to do the collection.Craftsmanship at it's best. Again, visit the site

Flick knives are seriously reprimanded in France (some say, like me, more so than illegal 🔥 arms). So be warned all you wannabe me's
who come to France

Why a knife to defend your self when you can have a hammer and sickle to protect you, if you sign up with the P.C.F. (Parti Communist Francais) ?
I wonder about your mental stability at times, J.P.

haha I ask about knives because I am a knife guy. I started collecting knives when I was in the university. I am into tactical and bushcraft knives. I have 16 blades, 8 of which are swords. other 8 are a mix of folding knives and combat knives