Légionnaire parachutiste : que reste-t-il du mythe ?

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Never mind, put another franc coin in the juke box.

La vie en rose, indeed, I’m happy!!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Jonny,
Nice photos. Happy birthday young man. I trust you will have many more to come.;)

mark wake

Legionnaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
This is a pic from our little chapel in the 2 REP camp near Philippeville in Algeria, 1960. All these legionnaires are to be buried the next day. The coffin in the middle front covers the body of our Captain Bourgin.
Respects to those who served in Algeria, Jonny, and to your comrades who never made it home. Great photos.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
This is a pic from our litle chapel in the 2 REP camp near Philippeville in Algeria, 1960. All these legionnaires are to be buried the next day. The coffin in the middle front covers the body of our Captain Bourgin.
Capt Pierre Bourgin, CO of the so-called Compagnie Portée, 2e REP, was KIA on March 1st, 1959. Pictures of him below, picked on the web (on the right picture, without a beard, smoking a ciggie).

1534005589335.png

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Yes, that’s him. The best officer I ever served with, and also a poet, he would some times post little poems in the Képi Blanc magazine under a Russian name. Apparently he came up through the ranks. I have some other pics, but not yet scanned.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
OK, another story about Capt Bourgin:

It was in Algeria, 1959. We had just completed searching a part of a hilly area where nothing was found. Basically a standard operation, nothing to report:

Then we trudged through an open plain, just grass and shrubs, with some hills in the distance..... When suddainly at least one machine gun, possibly two, opened up on us from those hills. I fell flat on my face, as did everybody else. The bullets really whistled just seemingly inches from my head.

Capitaine Bourgin was a little bit in front of me with his ‘radio’ (the guy carrying the radio), both laying flat like me, but then the captain suddenly just got up and walked into the machine gun fire, talking quietly on his radio, directing the artillery fire onto the rebels. His ‘radio’ was cowering behind, looking very unhappy, and I was barely lifting my head, in case one of those whistling bullets would make contact.

Then the artillary opened up, and we could all get up on our feet again, except the captain’s ‘radio’ who was shot through both legs. But he survived.

Most viewed threads of the week