a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LDLD has hit the ground running

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi all,

I have news from LDLD, he is in Marseille, arrived yesterday. I knew that he was going but as always, I respected his wishes and waited for the go ahead to let you guys know.
Here is what he wrote to me, in very good French BTW.

ce'tait extra je de la chance j'ai impremter la vieux document qui la legion a demande pour fair la reunion avant de arrive et frape a la port tu te souvien de ca? et quand j'ai du explique a la douane parce que on me arreter et poser me ca- "qu'est ce que vous aller fair la bas"? (a Marseille)je sente que la mieux est dire la verite alors je le dire que je vais a la Legion etrangere il me fair un gaule embrouille et je immediatment sorte la legion invitation page et il me dire d'accord pas de problem tu pouvez passe j'ai etait tellment heureux mais maintenant je tres fatigant je vien dormir j'arrive a l'hotel chambre par la bus est par le metro cetais extraordiner france est si belle la Marseille est tres interessent est parfait meteo je ne dois pas fair 7 jours isolation personne me demande ca est je ne declare rien comme ca icrit peut etre parce je fair vaccine chai pas maintenant je veux rester ici pour deux nuit et lundi matin je vais vers la port

Using google translate:
That was extra i was lucky i imprinted the old document which the legion requested to meet before arriving and hit the port do you remember that? and when I had to explain to customs because someone stopped me and asked me - "what are you going to do over there"? (in Marseille) I feel that the best is to tell the truth so I say that I am going to the Foreign Legion, he confuses me and I immediately leave the legion invitation page and he tell me okay, no problem you can past i was so happy but now i'm very tiring i come to sleep i arrive at the hotel room by bus east by metro cetais extraordiner france is so beautiful marseille is very interesting is perfect weather i must not do 7 isolation days nobody asks me that is I do not declare anything like that here written maybe because I do not vaccinate chai now I want to stay here for two nights and Monday morning I go to the port

The last part Monday morning I go to the port should read, Monday morning I'm going to knock on the big door I hope that you will join me in wishing him good luck šŸ„‚ šŸ¾šŸ¾

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Armenia
merci Joseph pour ton aide aujourd'hui j'ai fais un tour a la ville peut etre 20 kilometers en pied ce'tait tellments amusement j'ai alle a la port et apres au Basilique notre dame de la Garde ce la Paque aujourd'hui, je parles avec beaucoup de gens pour diraction ou dans le magasin avec le vendors ca ma beaucoup aide parce que quand tu parles et quand tu lire ou ecrit ce tres different, I recommend everyone who wants to join to try to take a few days before joining and speak French as much as possible at france. demain je pense que j'y aller au Parc national des Calanques et randonee je vu que ce beau la bas excuse moi pour ma french je voulais parler seulement french pour ameliorer

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Armenia
sorry and thank you all but.. I went civil today passed all the tests but failed the hearing test it was pretty cunfusing and because I can hear pretty well, now I'm just thinking the best option for me is to really check my ears at my home country and if it's fixable and good i will go back to france in the cheapest back and forth flight just to do the test and check it in a army hospital and then send an apeal to the general in the legion and wait for an answer because the doctor who checked me told me I can do that after I protest a bit but if so why did they gave me the definitive I'm really not sure about anything right now . I've heard that they keep your stats from the tests for three months but not sure if for intape definitive also .as I iced the logic test day medical and then did 10 in the luq lager also 30 pull ups. then interview a really scary but good dude with a dog next to him interviewed me did the interview in pretty dam fluent french he signed me on 5 6 contracts. right after we went to became blue me and 4 others that were joined with a group of 14 people who came from Paris 50 present french dudes from france, 1 napal 1 russian 3 Algerians and 2 belgiques one Serbian. I was the happiest man in the world as I was sure nothing will stop me to complete my dream
then we all run to the infirmary to do the hearing test expect for the fort de nagets guys who made all the test over there but where just been hand picked for dentist and one for urine I got called by the colonal Dr who told me I failed the hearing test and "au revoir". I waited so long and invested alot in it. they could of just give me temporary as I'm sure its a small problem that can be fixed I have a very good hearing maybe it's from the swims without protection I don't know I'll check it next week and update

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Argentina
sorry and thank you all but.. I went civil today passed all the tests but failed the hearing test it was pretty cunfusing and because I can hear pretty well, now I'm just thinking the best option for me is to really check my ears at my home country and if it's fixable and good i will go back to france in the cheapest back and forth flight just to do the test and check it in a army hospital and then send an apeal to the general in the legion and wait for an answer because the doctor who checked me told me I can do that after I protest a bit but if so why did they gave me the definitive I'm really not sure about anything right now . I've heard that they keep your stats from the tests for three months but not sure if for intape definitive also .as I iced the logic test day medical and then did 10 in the luq lager also 30 pull ups. then interview a really scary but good dude with a dog next to him interviewed me did the interview in pretty dam fluent french he signed me on 5 6 contracts. right after we went to became blue me and 4 others that were joined with a group of 14 people who came from Paris 50 present french dudes from france, 1 napal 1 russian 3 Algerians and 2 belgiques one Serbian. I was the happiest man in the world as I was sure nothing will stop me to complete my dream
then we all run to the infirmary to do the hearing test expect for the fort de nagets guys who made all the test over there but where just been hand picked for dentist and one for urine I got called by the colonal Dr who told me I failed the hearing test and "au revoir". I waited so long and invested alot in it. they could of just give me temporary as I'm sure its a small problem that can be fixed I have a very good hearing maybe it's from the swims without protection I don't know I'll check it next week and update
I'm sorry to hear this buddy, you gave it a try, that's the important thing. Why do you say it was confusing? Did you have to press a button every time you heard a bip? Or it was something different?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Armenia
I'm sorry to hear this buddy, you gave it a try, that's the important thing. Why do you say it was confusing? Did you have to press a button every time you heard a bip? Or it was something different? there was a lot a nois outside the vacuum door didn't help after the test he told me to I failed and let me do the test again but this time he

I'm sorry to hear this buddy, you gave it a try, that's the important thing. Why do you say it was confusing? Did you have to press a button every time you heard a bip? Or it was what I m
I'm sorry to hear this buddy, you gave it a try, that's the important thing. Why do you say it was confusing? Did you have to press a button every time you heard a bip? Or it was something different?
what I ment to say is that I have good hearing and I heard lots of the low frequency maybe my ears needs cleaning or somth

what I ment to say is that I have a good hearing I heard the lowest frequency on both ears and press on time

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
what I ment to say is that I have a good hearing I heard the lowest frequency on both ears and press on time
So why they kick you out than?

I remember long time ago when I was on recruitment for Yugoslavian army (I believe we were called Yugo then... ).
On medical exam there was doctor who were checking ears , nose.. .He asked me do I have some problems and I, honest and stupid as i was (and still I am) told him that sometimes I can't breathe through my nose thinking that isn't big deal.
When I went in front of officer to give me regiment He asked me did I had trouble with hearing...probably bad communication, doctor just wrote that something isn't right.
In military booklet says that i have limited capability for servitude... It was big impact on my ego because i'm sure i was more capable than 90% guys there... But at the end it didn't meter because until time I should serve they abolished compulsory military service ...

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Armenia
I don't know I went to an army hospital in marseille- malpase they told me they only make tests starting Monday my flight is tomorrow so I guess I have to check my ears at my country and if there is no problem than I'll try to return to france take a test here and if its all good I'll send a letter to the general if he gives me to return to blue then it's great if not then I guess it's just political that they got rid of me because everyone hates Israel in Europe that's a fact as much as I tried hard to emphasize I'm more armenian then Israeli I don't think I deserve defenetive it's only ears and I'm not deaf there are medicine and treatments I can do and return , I wasted too much money and years on my life not even stepping a foot in the legion now I'm gonna try to return for the last time and if not then au revoir to the legion aussi I'm not a kid any more need to start my life allready as I'm almost 30 this is just another disappointment in my life I have to somehow live with even though it will take time to get over this

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
You told Gestapo too much of your sntiments
You did it in an earlier post
Forget any complexes
It can only make you stand out in a negative way...but I admire your determination
L.P.C.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Armenia
You told Gestapo too much of your sntiments
You did it in an earlier post
Forget any complexes
It can only make you stand out in a negative way...but I admire your determination
L.P.C.
well I hope someone up there is reading I did it all right learned french for 2 years came in great shape in right mentally ,was very happy to be there every second i really felt that the legion is my new home , failing in the hearing test , I'm more angry of my self as I was shocked and didn't say nothing much to the colonal didn't really realize that when he said he "finished with me" and "au revoir" all the rest of the day my buddies told me it's probably temporary and not to worry just in the morning after I realize it as I went to the caporal chef to understand what is going to happen to me now I need to waste alot of money from my savings again as tomorrow I intend to test my ears and if its good I will buy a back and fourth ticket to paris for one day just to do the check in a military hospital I used a medicine called "prednisone" to shutting the rings in my ears I will never swim again without ear protection. it's all clear now it's probably the small rings that kept me passing the test I'll update here tomorrow guys

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Ear ringing ?
It can not be detected by any instrument or person
You must have told them?
There is no cure for it

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Armenia
Ear ringing ?
It can not be detected by any instrument or person
You must have told them?
There is no cure for it
I didn't tell them because on Friday morning when I knew I will get the defenitive the colonal was not at the base allready. and it's only at the same night when I tried to sleep I heard the rings and realized that maybe that's the problem .the "predisnone" which I purchased at Marseille pharmacy did help me shut down the ringings.for now it's good I have an appointment in an hour in a private lab similar to the one in the legion

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Armenia
OK I need a big favor right now from legioners here I have the results of my test I have a good hearing in my left ear the right ear as a medium descent on the hight frequency 6-8 hz can someone show this results to a army doctor that deals with hearing just to know if it's acceptable to join the legion or not and if its acceptable I will purchase a plane ticket to paris to check it at a military base and after that send a letter to the general is someone keen to help me?

Attachments

• 20210405_113538.jpg
    20210405_113538.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 7

Most viewed threads of the week