a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Derailed threads. Le Bayou: Crawdad's home for them

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Unbelievable how this Google works! I already complained on Google translate and how woke their translations are.
Now I'm pest on their different flaw. If you type the name of some famous person #1 suggestion from Google next to the name would be “net worth”! I mean , I'm trying to wind out something about that person am not trying to buy him (her).

I don't care how much money that person has and i'm pretty sure that it’s the same for a majority of people using searching.
What that telling us about world we living in? Is that most important thing about some person, how much many he have? I guess it is. If not first one of first 3 proposals would be "net worth." Try yourself.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) Now I'm pest on their different flaw. If you type the name of some famous person #1 suggestion from Google next to the name would be “net worth”! (...)
Yep, also noticed that. This is how Google algorithms work. Their suggestions are based on the most common queries made by the users. So if, when you type the name of a celebrity, Google suggests to help you find his net worth that’s because apparently many people are interested in this type of information. I remember reading somewhere that those suggestions vary depending on the country the query is coming from. In France one of the suggestions they make is often “Juif” (Jew). Apparently many French seem to be wiling to know if this or that person has a Jewish background...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yep, also noticed that. This is how Google algorithms work. Their suggestions are based on the most common queries made by the users. So if, when you type the name of a celebrity, Google suggests to help you find his net worth that’s because apparently many people are interested in this type of information. I remember reading somewhere that those suggestions vary depending on the country the query is coming from. (...)
I thought that myself (and that would be reasonable ), but I’m not sure that works that way. Definitely net worth is not among common searches in Serbia. Doesn't even make sense when translated in Serbian. Don't believe that other nations search for that info too. I mean we all know that most of those person are rich. Why do would someone care if Brad Pitt have 100, 300 or 500 millions.
(...) In France one of the suggestions they make is often “Juif” (Jew). Apparently many French seem to be wiling to know if this or that person has a Jewish background...
Some would say just because of that French are antisemitic. I mean I also searched a lot about famous people's possible Jewish background. Not because I don't like Jews it's because I was checking stories that Holywood is run by Jews. Sure enough it's unbelievable how many of them are in that industry. Also world of banking and finance, lawyers, etc.
Having in mind that only 2 % of US citizens are Jews they are highly unproportionally represented in those occupations.
I'm not saying that this is good or bad or that there is a Jewish conspiracy to rule the world, but I'm just noticing that many of them are on those positions and we could say they are positions of power. How many of them are really religious or just having a Jewish background that is open for debate.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

In the beginning of the short doc, it says that “Tom” (he obviously doesn't want to let his real name be known, so I won't say it) was an ex-boxing champion. True, to the point where he boxed heavy weight for Hungary during one of the Olympics. I first met him when he was one of my “clients” in jail. There was another Hungarian, a buddy of his who was champion of Hungary Juniors, who, when he left the Legion with two other legionnaires killed a gendarme in Hungary, in an armed robbery gone wrong. I met up with him in Marseille.
Pink Floyd will know who Tom is.

V 2.0

Reaction score
Home Country
Hungary
(...) There was another Hungarian, a buddy of his who was champion of Hungary Juniors, who, when he left the Legion with two other legionnaires killed a gendarme in Hungary, in an armed robbery gone wrong. (...)
There is no gendarmerie in Hungary, and there hasn't been since 1945. When did this happen? Was it 2002?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
There is no gendarmerie in Hungary, and there hasn't been since 1945. When did this happen? Was it 2002?
It must have been Police then, I assumed that with it being in a small village it was gendarme. It happened around '98.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
To make a change in the virus, has anyone seen this film?

1585581032683.png

It's called the hunt in English. I watched it this afternoon. Don't be fooled by the pig on the jacket. Extremely violent film. Nothing original in the scenario: A load of people are being hunted in an out of the way place.
Well worth the watch if you are into the gory stuff.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia

In the beginning of the short doc, it says that “Tom” (he obviously doesn't want to let his real name be known, so I won't say it) was an ex-boxing champion. True, to the point where he boxed heavy weight for Hungary during one of the Olympics. I first met him when he was one of my “clients” in jail. There was another Hungarian, a buddy of his who was champion of Hungary Juniors, who, when he left the Legion with two other legionnaires killed a gendarme in Hungary, in an armed robbery gone wrong. I met up with him in Marseille.
Pink Floyd will know who Tom is.
Big Tom. He was a colourful character. By the looks of it, he still is.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I would always get asked, are you from New York? No! I am from New Orleans.
Yep, NOLA's a pretty weird one, as well. Hell, every where in Louisiana south of Alexandria and west of Slidell is a linguistic anomaly; you hear accents there that you find virtually nowhere else in the country. Oddly, the accents of SW Louisiana are quite similar to those of NE Maine, no doubt due to the presence of Acadiens in both places.

As an aside, when did your family move to NOLA? I know that y'all came south in the 60's (the 1760's) during le grand dérangement, but IIRC you went to Acadiana first. Reason I ask is that some of our kin (les Morin et les Blanchard) were more or less neighbors back in Acadie.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
(...) As an aside, when did your family move to NOLA? I know that y'all came south in the 60's (the 1760's) during le grand dérangement, but IIRC you went to Acadiana first. Reason I ask is that some of our kin (les Morin et les Blanchard) were more or less neighbors back in Acadie.
Our family sir name was one of the first families to come from Nova Scotia after the Brits expelled them.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Our family sir name was one of the first families to come from Nova Scotia after the Brits expelled them.
That's right, I recall you saying so. As for my Acadian (or Nova Scotian if you must) line, well, we dodged the expulsion by a few decades. Prior to 1680, your ancestor Guillaume, and my ancestor Pierre, were both living at Port Royal in Acadie. Pierre moved his family to Beaubassin that year, and that's where the trouble stared. Reason is that in 1687 one of Pierre's sons, Louis, got the eldest daughter of the local Seigneur--the former Gouvenor of Acadie, no less-- in the family way, which resulted in Louis getting sent to the Galleys (never to be heard from again) and the rest of the family getting their property confiscated and banished to Québec proper in 1688. There they stayed for a couple of generations; but right around the time your ancestor is settling in LA (Between 1767, St James Parrish?), mine is arriving in Mobile-- possibly in an attempt to flee English rule. Of course, Mobile (along with the rest of La Louisiane east of the Mississippi, except New Orleans) was ceded to Britain in 1763.

NorthAmerica1762-83.png

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Now, for those of you wondering why people down here bother so much with researching their lineage ( almost as if we're putting on airs), there is a very practical reason for it: when you have families living in the same 100 mile radius for centuries, somebody in said families need to study this crap, or people can and will end up marrying their distant cousins. We're not pretending to be the Spanish von Habsburg's, we just don't want to end up like them.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That's right, I recall you saying so. As for my Acadian (or Nova Scotian if you must) line, well, we dodged the expulsion by a few decades. Prior to 1680, your ancestor Guillaume, and my ancestor Pierre, were both living at Port Royal in Acadie. Pierre moved his family to Beaubassin that year, and that's where the trouble stared. Reason is that in 1687 one of Pierre's sons, Louis, got the eldest daughter of the local Seigneur--the former Gouvenor of Acadie, no less-- in the family way, which resulted in Louis getting sent to the Galleys (never to be heard from again) and the rest of the family getting their property confiscated and banished to Québec proper in 1688. There they stayed for a couple of generations; but right around the time your ancestor is settling in LA (Between 1767, St James Parrish?), mine is arriving in Mobile-- possibly in an attempt to flee English rule. Of course, Mobile (along with the rest of La Louisiane east of the Mississippi, except New Orleans) was ceded to Britain in 1763.

View attachment 6148
Guillaume is one of my ancestors too. On my dad's side, the Sir name. We traveled up the Mississippi and into Bayou Lafourche and ended up in Pierre Part.

Yep, NOLA's a pretty weird one, as well. Hell, every where in Louisiana south of Alexandria and west of Slidell is a linguistic anomaly; you hear accents there that you find virtually nowhere else in the country. Oddly, the accents of SW Louisiana are quite similar to those of NE Maine, no doubt due to the presence of Acadiens in both places.

As an aside, when did your family move to NOLA? I know that y'all came south in the 60's (the 1760's) during le grand dérangement, but IIRC you went to Acadiana first. Reason I ask is that some of our kin (les Morin et les Blanchard) were more or less neighbors back in Acadie.
I grew up on the West Bank, a very specific accent, New Orleans was across the river, could see the Superdome from the Levee. When I was young we lived in Houma and Bayou Blue because my dad was a Roughneck. From 5th grade on until I left for Thibodeaux as a young man on his own, 18 years old. From Thibodeaux I joined the Corps at 25 years old. I retired at 45 years old from active duty. Until the Corps, I had never been north of I-10 in my life. I had been west and east, but never beyond Baton Rouge. As you know North Louisiana is not the same place, they are more like our neighbors Texas, Arkansas, and Mississippi. The Blanchards settled down the Bayou Lafourche and into the Atchafalaya Basin, Pierre Part.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Since you guys are talking about l'Acadie, beyond a success made by a popular French singer back in the 70s... The lyrics mention the name of Cajun fiddler Rufus Thibodeaux and say (in French) “All the Acadians have become Americans, who's fault is this? It's Napoleon's fault.” Not sure if this is historically accurate... :)

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well, that's gonna be stuck in my head for weeks. It's so wrong, and yet so right.

If we're going both to play the blame game AND accept that all the Acadiens/Louisianais have become Americans, well, first, I don't blame Napoléon, even if he was a couillon (connard) sometimes, I blame Louis XIII.

Second, and perhaps most importantly: we as a people have yet to completely "become American":

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Well, that's gonna be stuck in my head for weeks. It's so wrong, and yet so right.

If we're going both to play the blame game AND accept that all the Acadiens/Louisianais have become Americans, well, first, I don't blame Napoléon, even if he was a couillon (connard) sometimes, I blame Louis XIII.

Second, and perhaps most importantly: we as a people have yet to completely "become American":

Nice documentary, relatively new (published March 12, 2020. on youtube) zero comments below the video. I wondered how many comments would be in French and how many in English).
"Salt of the earth" kind of people, likeable. :)