Leaving enough time to try for FFL

anire123

Ratings
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am 29 and had played with the idea of trying for the french foreign legion.

I don't live to far from France but it's possible that I could be be one of the 80% trying that don't make it.
You can get rejected on the 2nd day after trying for the FFL or spend over a month there and get rejected. Some people leave within the first year.

The thing putting me off trying is the possibility I will leave myself unemployed or homeless by going to France for the recruitment process.
I seen info on a French foreign legion webpage that the recruitment process can take from between just 2 days or until over 4 weeks until rejection or selection after you first walk through the gate.

I have a part-time job where I live and will need to find a way of stopping my flat being taken off me if im not here for over a month. I would also risk being made unemployed if I left work for up to a month while trying for the FFL and I don't really want to say to my employer where im going to.

I wonder has anybody ended up broke or homeless after trying for the FFL by being away from home for over a month before being rejected. Did you have enough savings to tide you over until you got another job or pay the rent for a few months? Or did you just leave.

How can somebody run away to join the French Foreign Legion without being left homeless or broke?

GuidoLovarini

Ratings
88 3
Home Country
Scotland
I think with the Legion you just need to go for it mate. If your leaving all that stuff waiting for you behind then whats to so you dont just give up easier and ask to go civil/desert. You may want to really think about what you want ans go for it. All the best mate.

SnafuSmite

Ratings
264 2
Home Country
South Africa
The Legion will only send you home if you dont pass selection, which generally isn't longer than a month,2-3 weeks usually. After that its your choice to leave, unless you make a serious feck up and they kick you out in the most extreme of circumstances.

My advice, make sure that if you dont make it that you've got 2-3 months savings, enough to get you back on your feet. If you cant find a job in 2-3 months then you've got an issue.

Going to the Legion is creating a new life, so in a way you've got to discard your old one to build your new one.

Ratings
Home Country
United States
Im in the same boat as you except I am homeless. Living at the mercy of a friend here in the states but i have to leave at the end of this month and rough it out here in the street. Im working two jobs now and i have no car and nothing to lose except the money spent going to selection. Im saving enough for the trip there and possibly a trip back. Im stuck washing dishes and waiting tables. To be honest I want to leave asap but being smart about having some funds in the bank as a buffer cant hurt. I've lost everything and I have no family or home to come back. All i have is a tent and a backpack and thats it. Go all in bro, having funds to get on your feet if you return is smart. I turn 28 in two weeks.

Last edited:
Ratings
75 1
Home Country
Egypt
Keep in mind that you have got a great advantage that someone like me doesn't have. You can so easily enter the country! You know to get a tourist Visa I am going to have to kiss my dad's ass quite literally to get a bank statement from him (he is a millionaire but he doesn't talk to us) that would show authorities I am capable of handling myself otherwise they will never let an Arab into the country. Last time I went to France (not to join the legion didn't know about the legion back then) I had to hand in a bank statement belonging to my father of half a million dollars otherwise they would have never let me in that easily because I am a guy+ arab+ muslim+ Egyptian very bad combination(Egyptians are known for breaking their visas whenever they enter France they have a very bad reputation in europe). The least you need here in Egypt is for a bank statement to obtain shcengen is 5000 euros. The best I can do here per month in any GOOD work is 200/300 euros that's a best case scenario and like I said I need at least a bank statement of 5000 Euros to be able to obtain a Visa so you get what I mean. Even if I don't spend any money on eating or living expenses during my stay here I won't be able to collect all of that + ticket + backup money until 2 years at the very least.
I am not trying at all to make you undermine your problem no i am actually trying to make you feel like you're not alone suffering. At some point you're gonna have to risk something A job, a house, car, family, rent but like Caporal said all or nothing.

anire123

Ratings
Home Country
United Kingdom
Im in the same boat as you except I am homeless. Living at the mercy of a friend here in the states but i have to leave at the end of this month and rough it out here in the street. Im working two jobs now and i have no car and nothing to lose except the money spent going to selection. Im saving enough for the trip there and possibly a trip back. Im stuck washing dishes and waiting tables. To be honest I want to leave asap but being smart about having some funds in the bank as a buffer cant hurt. I've lost everything and I have no family or home to come back. All i have is a tent and a backpack and thats it. Go all in bro, having funds to get on your feet if you return is smart. I turn 28 in two weeks.
I hope it goes well for you, at the moment I am 29, I will be 30 this year. Where does the time go? I was 20 years old when I first went to Paris alone for a but of sightseeing by myself. I think it's a good idea to have some funds saved in the bank. I read online that there is thousands of people homeless in Paris alone, many of them immigrants from middle east, so it's possibly dangerous as a homeless English speaking person from another country in France.

Last edited:

anire123

Ratings
Home Country
United Kingdom
Keep in mind that you have got a great advantage that someone like me doesn't have. You can so easily enter the country! You know to get a tourist Visa I am going to have to kiss my dad's ass quite literally to get a bank statement from him (he is a millionaire but he doesn't talk to us) that would show authorities I am capable of handling myself otherwise they will never let an Arab into the country. Last time I went to France (not to join the legion didn't know about the legion back then) I had to hand in a bank statement belonging to my father of half a million dollars otherwise they would have never let me in that easily because I am a guy+ arab+ muslim+ Egyptian very bad combination(Egyptians are known for breaking their visas whenever they enter France they have a very bad reputation in europe). The least you need here in Egypt is for a bank statement to obtain shcengen is 5000 euros. The best I can do here per month in any GOOD work is 200/300 euros that's a best case scenario and like I said I need at least a bank statement of 5000 Euros to be able to obtain a Visa so you get what I mean. Even if I don't spend any money on eating or living expenses during my stay here I won't be able to collect all of that + ticket + backup money until 2 years at the very least.
I am not trying at all to make you undermine your problem no i am actually trying to make you feel like you're not alone suffering. At some point you're gonna have to risk something A job, a house, car, family, rent but like Caporal said all or nothing.
All the best to you, I am sure it's not easy for somebody from outside europe. What age are you?
It is hard to save, it can be hard to save for me and I live in Europe.

Ratings
75 1
Home Country
Egypt
just turned 23 but I cannot leave the country without clarifying my recruitment situation in conscription which will only be available after I obtain a graduation certificate from my college (will graduate in a month) and conscription situation will be resolved in December probably. Till then, I can't leave the country and sure as h*ll I won't consider illegal smuggling because nowadays ISIS handles that over the coasts of Libya (completely closed and unavailable in Egypt) and Syria. Not gonna hand in a large sum of money+ my life to ISIS if the army decides to cling on to me here for a year or two I'll try to profit as much as possible out of it although it is hard.

anire123

Ratings
Home Country
United Kingdom
just turned 23 but I cannot leave the country without clarifying my recruitment situation in conscription which will only be available after I obtain a graduation certificate from my college (will graduate in a month) and conscription situation will be resolved in December probably. Till then, I can't leave the country and sure as h*ll I won't consider illegal smuggling because nowadays ISIS handles that over the coasts of Libya (completely closed and unavailable in Egypt) and Syria. Not gonna hand in a large sum of money+ my life to ISIS if the army decides to cling on to me here for a year or two I'll try to profit as much as possible out of it although it is hard.
Be extremely careful having any dealing with ISIS. I would try and stay well away from them while travelling to France. I'm sure if they heard anything about France or military and France, they would become extremely suspicious of that. France has carried out airstrikes against both Libya and Syria. I'd be careful mentioning anything to do with France or military until you are actually in France. The amount of videos of heads decapitated by ISIS, shootings, burnings etc or people killed in very extreme ways is scary. ISIS kill very quickly and extremely ruthlessly.
Boats sink all the time in the med, hundreds drown in the sea. Travel wise and safely.

Most viewed threads of the week