a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Left handed shooting

roberto123

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Would I be allowed to shoot left handed in the FFL? I know in the British forces, everyone shoots right handed.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
The FAMAS can actually be configured for lefties.
The HK416 is also optimized for lefties I think.

Cernunnos

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Would I be allowed to shoot left handed in the FFL? I know in the British forces, everyone shoots right handed.

On the FAMAS;
"Most notable for an early-adoption bullpup, the FAMAS can be fairly easily changed from left-handed to right-handed use. The charging handle is entirely ambidextrous, located atop the receiver inside the carry handle. The bolt is made with cutouts for the extractor to mount on either the left or right side, and the receiver has ejection posts in both sides."

The HK416 has "ambidextrous fire controls".

So you can shoot them left-handed.
I don't know if they let you shoot left-handed, you'll have to wait for a green to answer that part of the question.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
On the FAMAS;
"Most notable for an early-adoption bullpup, the FAMAS can be fairly easily changed from left-handed to right-handed use. The charging handle is entirely ambidextrous, located atop the receiver inside the carry handle. The bolt is made with cutouts for the extractor to mount on either the left or right side, and the receiver has ejection posts in both sides."

The HK416 has "ambidextrous fire controls".

So you can shoot them left-handed.
I don't know if they let you shoot left-handed, you'll have to wait for a green to answer that part of the question.

As a left hander you just have to get used to having the brass fly across your face.

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
Yes to FAMAS, no problem with HK (or any other AR and AK platform weapons) shooting left-handed.

Good eye-pro is what you need.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
So what did they do with the lefties when they went from the SLR to the SA80?

We had a great SOA in Guiana (who was later my chef de section in the REP - MILAN). He would take us to the range and have us doing all kinds of things. Shooting at targets around a bivouac at night, wearing gas masks, and shooting with the FAMAS in left handed mode for us normal guys and the opposite for the 'others'. Just to point out that it takes time to switch over the obturator extractor lip on the culasse part of the working parts. Which if you pick up from a wounded man's weapon to use will be a waste of precious time.

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
I guess if you're left handed in the British army it's just too bad - you'll have to learn to shoot right handed. The ejection port is placed in a way that means you will be hit by hot brass in your face when firing left handed. The British army apparently teaches all recruits to shoot right handed.
I've never fired the SA80 personally, but this is just what I've been told.

DownAnOut

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
Yes for lefties on the HK416.

No changes to the weapon needed just pick it up and shoot

The ejection throws the cartridge forward instead of to the sides and backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Yes for lefties on the HK416.

No changes to the weapon needed just pick it up and shoot

The ejection throws the cartridge forward instead of to the sides and backwards

I assume you have fired it. How does it handle and feel compared to the Famas? How do you feel about the upgrade/change?

DownAnOut

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
No comparison mate at all!
Superior weapon in all aspects.

Even the cleaning and maintenance is a breeze and failure and accident rate was 0 in the 2000 rounds I shot.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
No comparison mate at all!
Superior weapon in all aspects.

Even the cleaning and maintenance is a breeze and failure and accident rate was 0 in the 2000 rounds I shot.

Have you fired other service rifles? The M4A1? Or the G36?
Is the whole 1REC using it now or was your company/section part of a select roll out or training for it?
The HK 416 sounds great, I want a chance to play with it. :D

DownAnOut

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Portugal
I have fired the G36 at the range.

The rec is getting them sometime next year, we got to play with them while at Sentinel during a training course that our captain arranged.