Legion Matricule...

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Hello all,

Here is little story about Legion matricules.

Before 1940 when a legionnaire joined a regiment they gave him a matricule number, if he changed regiment then he had a new matricule number.

At the end of 1940 the Legion decided to change the system and the first legionnaire was given the number 000 001.

Mine in March 1992 was 181 906.

In January a guy from Brasil joined the Legion and received matricule 200 000 (there is a story about him in the Legion magasine Kepi Blanc feb n°696)....

Cpl K....

Cpl K... said:
In January a guy from Brasil joined the Legion and received matricule 200 000 (there is a story about him in the Legion magasine Kepi Blanc feb n°696)...
Good thing for this Brazilian guy is it will be easy for him to remember his matricule ! :D

ibandic

Banned
Banned
Originally the Matricule number was 3 digits and then around 1935 became four digits, and was changed to 6 digits in the late 1940's.

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
BrigadirJaxuc7508 said:
Originally the Matricule number was 3 digits and then around 1935 became four digits, and was changed to 6 digits in the late 1940's.
Nope 3 numbers would be impossible.

Imagine in one regiment only 999 legionnaires NOPE.

Had a few beers yesterday with a guy who could still walk and drink fine he joined at the age of 16 in february 1939 his legion matricule 82704.

Tatoo on his arm, any many others.

Cpl K....

Bloakey

Salut, Je suis revenue.

Oooh, quite close to mine, I have 165 067.

Did you know what your French Army number was?, the one on your dog tags.

Mine is:

81 137 65 067

Sooo,

81 = Year of Engagement

137 = Lieu i.e. Aubagne

65067 = Legion Number

What happens if you were to join the legion, finish your contract and leave, then join up again a year later?

Do you get the same matricule?

The Dude

Super Active Member
...as far as I know you keep not only your matricule but more importantly your rank if you wish to reenlist within the year...CPL K - any comments+ ?

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Eagle eye said:
...as far as I know you keep not only your matricule but more importantly your rank if you wish to reenlist within the year...CPL K - any comments+ ?
Depends on what your job was in the Legion. I knew a guy who came back 5 years later was given the same job and another who came back after 4 sent back to Castelnaudary.
Regarding the matricule you would probably get a new name if the time has been too long and a new matricule but once you get your real name back you would also have the right to wear your medals, badges and get your matricule back of course.

Cpl K...

Most viewed threads of the week