a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Legion Names how are they allocated?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
When someone joins the legion are they automatically given an alias, or do they elect to be an alias, and how are the names allocated?
for example would an Englishman be given an English alias, or are the aliases all French

All answers appreciated..

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
When someone joins the legion are they automatically given an alias, or do they elect to be an alias, and how are the names allocated?
for example would an Englishman be given an English alias, or are the aliases all French

In my case, I kept my real name, but they made me two years older.
I am not sure if it is at this time an option or not.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In my case, I kept my real name, but they made me two years older.
I am not sure if it is at this time an option or not.
Thanks for the reply, as you may know I am here researching for a novel and the lead character is a legionnaire, interesting that they aged you. Obvious question but were you over 18 when you enlisted and the adjustment was a bit of cammo and concealment, or do they make some adjustment to everyone until they are rectified.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Was given a local phone book had to keep to using first letter of my civi surname so, it’s a bit of a shock as I did not no much or anything about the Legion, but I new they would change my name as I had outstanding business back home!! So I had played in my head with names only problem none of them were with my civi surname first letter so just picked one out and rolled with it.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

In majority of cases it will be given name from country of origin and it wouldn't be optional.

madwolf

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I was give a choice as I had no outstanding issues back home. I chose a new anglo name and kept it for years. My experience was the gestapo asked if I wanted to change then asked me for the new name, no phone books or issued name. I guess the experience is dependant on your status.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I was give a choice as I had no outstanding issues back home. I chose a new anglo name and kept it for years. My experience was the gestapo asked if I wanted to change then asked me for the new name, no phone books or issued name. I guess the experience is dependant on your status.
When did you joined? There was one period about 5-10 y when they allowed new recruits to keep their names.
After the FFL re-introduced mandatory name change. (I think somewhere around 2010, maybe later. Don't know for sure)
One can get their name back after some 3 y of service.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Thanks for the reply, as you may know I am here researching for a novel and the lead character is a legionnaire, interesting that they aged you. Obvious question but were you over 18 when you enlisted and the adjustment was a bit of cammo and concealment, or do they make some adjustment to everyone until they are rectified.
Probably for the same reason as the name change.
As it turned out, when my parents and consulate requested my release from the legion on account of being under age, they could deny that I was in the legion.
In Holland at the time the age of maturity was 22 or 21 of age.
When I was already a few weeks in boot camp, my C.O. did ask me if I wanted to go home.
I refused.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Do you have to convert back to your real name if you are to be granted French Citizenship?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Do you have to convert back to your real name if you are to be granted French Citizenship?
Good question. I did explore about and far as I know it there's options to keep your legion given name and to live under it blissfully after. (But you have to be good boy ;))

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Absolutely. You can however, if you so wish, once you have your French nationality ask for it to made "Francisation" which means that your Polish name which ends in Ski or Sky or Xyz and your unpronounceable (not to mention spellable) first name can be made into a French name. I believe that you can choose from several French first names, although the last, or surname, is closest to the original as possible. Perhaps simply by knocking off the last three letters and all the accents over the vowels :LOL::ROFLMAO: - I'm on a roll here, lads.
When you go civilian You must have your original name back, unless you have naturalization as in the case above. Which is why in the Képi Blanc magazine you do get from time to time Leg 1st class X or Cpl X or even Sgt X, who is going civil and is outside the museum for the official photo.
That is basically because the person, for whatever reason, does not want people to know that he was in the legion.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Absolutely. You can however, if you so wish, once you have your French nationality ask for it to made "Francisation" which means that your Polish name which ends in Ski or Sky or Xyz and your unpronounceable (not to mention spellable) first name can be made into a French name. I believe that you can choose from several French first names, although the last, or surname, is closest to the original as possible. Perhaps simply by knocking off the last three letters and all the accents over the vowels :LOL::ROFLMAO: - I'm on a roll here, lads.
When you go civilian You must have your original name back, unless you have naturalization as in the case above. Which is why in the Képi Blanc magazine you do get from time to time Leg 1st class X or Cpl X or even Sgt X, who is going civil and is outside the museum for the official photo.
That is basically because the person, for whatever reason, does not want people to know that he was in the legion.
Interesting

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Absolutely. You can however, if you so wish, once you have your French nationality ask for it to made "Francisation" which means that your Polish name which ends in Ski or Sky or Xyz and your unpronounceable (not to mention spellable) first name can be made into a French name. I believe that you can choose from several French first names, although the last, or surname, is closest to the original as possible.
So you would be something like Joséphine Cosgrovski? :) :D