a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legion or not, it would be an honor to train under this guy

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
No it wasn't him. As for Sgt Major
They also exist in the Brit army, Company Sgt major and the Razzman which is RSM or Regimental Sgt Major who takes his orders directly from the commanding officer.
There is one other rank which out ranks the RSM, that of conductor. It is usually in the corps, which is how I know of its existence, being ex-army catering corps myself.
This dude doesn't take orders from anyone. He just turns up, all over the place - I've come across him in Norway, Belgium and Germany & Devizes where I was stationed.
Joe, is a conductor like a US Warrant zofficer, not enlisted and not a full officer, but they are a hybrid blend of enlisted an an officer. They must be saluted and referred to as Sir. Or, in the Marine Corps we called them Gunner. That comes from back in history and Warrant Officers wereInfantry experts. Over the years it obviously grew to include many specialty fields in the Military. All Army Helicopter Pilots or the vast majority are Chief Warrant Officers.
And in the Marine Corps the Sergeants Major only answers to the Commander. The Sergeants Major of the Marine Corps only answers to the Commandant of the Marine Corps. As do the equivalent senior enlisted of the other Branches. The Sergeants Majors and other senior enlisted actually are treated as either a two or three star general because of their responsibilities

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi USMCRET,
I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of the guy's status, but I can tell you that whenever he turned up, out of the blue, there was a big flap. This would include the kitchen's 2ic running around like a headless chicken shouting under his breath and making threats, in between contacting the nearest units to fore warn them of a possible visit.
I remember being picked up for wearing a short sleeved 'cook's whites' shirt that we'd been issued with in Turkey and I'd forgotten to hand back in. I immediately replaced the duty cook for the remainder of the week (it was a Monday) and then took over my turn the following week.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Both Pink Floyd and I knew and worked with him in the REP. He'll be like the équipe de cross which Gen, Piqumal created; there as an advertisement for the Legion. How else do you think that he would have the authority to create Youtube videos under the Legion's name?
In Guyane I remember Piquemal limping out to go out on a "footing." By this time I think he was having issues with a bad hip. Aside from his political soliloquy did you know he was schooled as a nuclear engineer? At one time his daughter was teaching me french and I was teaching her english. I also met his wife while at the centre de repos on the island.
While at the REP I remember Trussler was doing very well in his races. There were others who were into sports who received a "dispensation" from performing the regular training.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
There was another fellow ..Maillet who was a French Regular Para. who joined up at the time I did and had a few similarities to this major...regarding show-boating.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
In Guyane I remember Piquemal limping out to go out on a "footing." By this time I think he was having issues with a bad hip. Aside from his political soliloquy did you know he was schooled as a nuclear engineer? At one time his daughter was teaching me french and I was teaching her english. I also met his wife while at the centre de repos on the island.
While at the REP I remember Trussler was doing very well in his races. There were others who were into sports who received a "dispensation" from performing the regular training.
Tunstal, I think was the guy you are talking about, Steve was his first name.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Major Gerald vid , top man from what I can see , I`d love to know what his training regime is , he must spend a few hours a day in the gym.