a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legion preparation training program

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
(...) You have to get to know your personal physical limits and you have to know how to...(...)

Of course my wee Brother, " you have to know, your physical limits". I knew mines, when i joined up... but then, i also had a good teacher, me own father, to tell me who it works and it's global.

Cpl K

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Reaction score
Go out get drunk, sleep an hour and do your runs this is what you will be doing in the legion. I'm not joking learn to be at your best all times and stop those magic products.

Cpl K....

Anselme

Reaction score
Home Country
..and stop those magic products.

If you do this training, the magic stuff will appear in your performances without taking any shitty stuff. Just eat&drink normally and get a clean training. Nature will take care of the rest.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vietnam
In order to complete a realistic and comprehensive preparation program I would like to give the following suggestions:
First acquire the following items:
Sports kit:
1 pair of running shoes of very average quality
1 pair of shorts (always run in shorts excepted if there is snow on the ground)
1 T-shirt (any old and ugly will do)
1 old and used sweater (used for running in very cold weather)
Military kit:
1 Pair of military boots (any brand and quality will do)
1 Pair of military (or similar) heavy duty trousers
1 Thin sweater (as usual old) of a dark colour
1 Thick (as old and ugly as possible) military field jacket
1 Solid, cheap and simple back pack (minimum capacity of 20 kg)
1 Waterproof poncho
1 thick rope (8 meters)

Now that you got the kit I would just like to give a few clarifications:
No gym (gyms are forbidden), no workout, no training buddies (just yourself alone), no training in urban areas. If you are not able to get yourself out to a woodland or mountainous area on a daily basis, you are to spineless and stupid to ever being considered for the Foreign Legion. In short make a plan.

First month (phase one):
Every second day (early morning and 3 days out of five) go for a run. Put on your sports kit and run for one to one and a half hour. The good pace is when your sweat is poring down your forehead and the hearth is pounding in your ears. Running on tarred roads is forbidden; stay on dirt roads in the woods or in parks (if you are such an urban wimp). After each run spend at least 5 min stretching your leg muscles.

Now install a pull-ups bar. It should be high enough off the ground so that when you are hanging from it there is no way that your feet will touch the ground. It doesn’t matter if you use existing facilities, put it up yourself in your home or in the woods, (you might use a tree branch if you like) just make sure that it exists.

Make at least 30 pull-ups every day. For the moment it doesn’t matter if it is palms of your hands are facing you or away from you, or a bloody mix, just make sure that you do at least 30 every day.

The weekends are great fun, Put on your “militaryâ€￾ kit and go for the woods. Don’t forget to load your backpack at around 20 kg and bring plenty of water. On Saturday take a four to five hours walk, the pace is the same as for running. Sweat should pour down your forehead and the heart should be pounding in your ears. Every hour take a five min break and drink water (plenty of it).

On Sunday? Well… you do exactly the same.

Every night before going to bed you make 50 push-ups on the floor next to your bed (don’t forget)

Second month (phase two):
The running stays the same but we add on one day and make it four days a week. However now you will now take a few min break in the middle of the run (after 40 to 45 min) and make at least 50 sit-ups. The point with the running is not to kill yourself; therefore keep the pace at something that you can stand for one hour and a half, but keep in mind that you must be sweating (poring down your forehead) and your heart pounding, if not the whole operation is pointless.

Now time has come to install the rope. Find a nice tree (or whatever) in the woods that will allow for a four meters high rope (since I don’t want to be accused of breaking your legs, keep the length to around four meters), and all you have to do is to climb it twice in stead of once. Make sure this place is in the loop of your running trip; the stop and climbing the rope twice will also give you a little break in the running.

The good technique of climbing the rope (without legs) is clearly described in many Youtube videos but in short it is a question of making short and strong pulls keeping the hands if front of your face.

Therefore take a good leap and keep on climbing by putting the pulling hand at the level of your forehead (not higher) and pulling down to the level of your throat (not more). Climbing the rope should be like an explosion of energy that last just a few seconds. Personally I was always a bit heavy and had difficulties with the rope. However I finished sergeant major anyway so it is all a question of persistence.

A good trick is also to avoid keeping the rope between your legs (you will invariably squeeze it), therefore keep the rope on your side and climb by pure energy using the above described process with your arms. If you cannot get up in the beginning just keep on trying and you will be surprised of the progress that you will make as time goes on.

To recapitulate the phase two, we can say one and a half hours run four days a week with 50 sit-ups and two 4 meters ropes on each trip. Don’t forget to stretch your muscles well after every session. We keep the daily pull-ups to 30, but please make sure that you are able to hang with your arms completely extended before each pull.

The weekend “militaryâ€￾ marching trips stays the same but we increase the daily trip to six hours.

Try to make the trips in hilly terrain and as much uphill as possible. Don’t forget to drink a lot of water and keep in mind that it is not the number of kilometers that is important, but that sweat is poring from your forehead and your heart is pounding. If it is raining or cold it is very good, use the poncho and you will just have to walk faster to make the sweat pour and your heart ponding.

Every night before going to bed you make 75 push-ups on the floor next to your bed (don’t forget)

Third month (phase three):

The running loop stays the same; however you will be surprised over how much you have to extend the loop in km (due to your improved performances). In other words: One and a half hour run 4 days per week, 50 sit-ups, two ropes (arms only), good stretch after each run.

We keep the pull-ups to the same thirty a day, but now we will add on 10 complete pull-ups with the palm of your hand facing away from you. Don’t give up on this and these 10 complete pull-ups is your target that you have to obtain.

On the other hand; for the weekend strolls we will make some changes:

Reduce the weight of your backpack to 12 kg. Keep the usual walking to five hours only (don’t forget sweat pouring from your forehead and your heart pounding in your ears). Find a way to end your walk in a flat area. After five hours you make a sixth and final hour running on flat ground. You don’t have to run so fast, but make sure that you are running (not walking) for one hour with your 12 kg pack on your back.

Every night before going to bed you make 100 push-ups on the floor next to your bed (don’t forget), and yes you can do it.

Conclusion:

If you can run more than 13 km in one and a half hour, climb two, four meters rope (arms only), and doo 10 pull-ups with your hands facing away from you, and finally 100 push-ups easily you should be fine.
Make sure that you can walk fast for 5 hours and finish with an 8 km run in less than 50 min with military boots and a 12kg pack on your back.
These requirements are not at all “supermanâ€￾ skills but well within what one could expect from a normally fit young man.
This plan is based upon simplicity, low costs, (an integrated part of Legion philosophy) but needs perseverance and do not tolerate any shortcuts.
Key words are: Sweat pouring from your forehead and heart pounding in your ears. Do the scheduled training regardless of weather or other “excusesâ€￾. Don’t cheat.
Finally if you should encounter any medical complications (most likely your knees or ankles), immediately seek professional medical help.
For any questions send me a PM.

This is gold.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Calling all 'Wanabes'.

So you want to join well simply follow Mr. Stoeng's ; Legion preparation training program.
Stop all the magic products and supplements. They are for wimps.
Finally my tip from another era; Get fit for your physique and the FFL PTIs' will then do the rest.
I know !

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
For one don't do it in mud, do it on pavement, that's what you will do it on in Aubagne or Fort de Nogent.
Focus on longish runs and set aside once a week to work on sprints. Once every month or two weeks or so do a luc leger test/beep test. Download the beep test, put it on your ipod or whatever or bring a stereo speaker to the track or parking lot or wherever you are going to do it and have at it. I think it is 25m. Others can give you some good advice and training plans on here I am sure. But wear proper shoes and do it on a track or asphalt/pavement.

For the luc leger it is only 20m distance, but the speed keeps increasing. The purpose is not to measure your hability to sustain a long effort like a long run, but to measure your cardio !

Martinbg

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Are there any tests for push-ups and crunches in the Legion ? And if the answer is yes , is there any time limit in which you can make the exercises ? I never tried to make push-ups for time , but I think for one minute i will make 50-60 .

Long time ago I speak with one bulgarian in Internet who said that he is now in the legion ( maybe he can be lier , he didnt give me proofs , maybe because I didnt ask :D ) and he told me that the most important things on the sport test is to make the luger test and the pull-ups . He say that they are not giving soo big attention on the crunches and push-ups on the test in the begginning and told me that 50 crunches and 50 push-ups are good for entering (if you pass other test , he told me that psycho-test is the hardest) .

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Are there any tests for push-ups and crunches in the Legion ? And if the answer is yes , is there any time limit in which you can make the exercises ? I never tried to make push-ups for time , but I think for one minute i will make 50-60 .

Long time ago I speak with one bulgarian in Internet who said that he is now in the legion ( maybe he can be lier , he didnt give me proofs , maybe because I didnt ask :D ) and he told me that the most important things on the sport test is to make the luger test and the pull-ups . He say that they are not giving soo big attention on the crunches and push-ups on the test in the begginning and told me that 50 crunches and 50 push-ups are good for entering (if you pass other test , he told me that psycho-test is the hardest) .

The main tests are (were in my time) the luc léger test (beep test) and the pull-ups : you must be able to do at least four full pull-ups. This mean starting starting with your arms extended, no side movements and getting your chin above the bar ! That's before you start the rest.

As far as the rest, the major part is your state of mind ! Everything is your mental, you must show by your whole behavior ,(you are observed 24/24, 7/7) that you WANT to get in, and you must do so convincingly

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The main tests are (were in my time) the luc léger test (beep test) and the pull-ups : you must be able to do at least four full pull-ups. This mean starting starting with your arms extended, no side movements and getting your chin above the bar ! That's before you start the rest.

As far as the rest, the major part is your state of mind ! Everything is your mental, you must show by your whole behavior ,(you are observed 24/24, 7/7) that you WANT to get in, and you must do so convincingly
:):D:)
Always have good laugh when I'm come upon some old BS post from person which name and nickname is forbidden in this place.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
:):D:)
Always have good laugh when I'm come upon some old BS post from person which name and nickname is forbidden in this place.

Dusaboss,:)

Some of the earlier posts are hilarious and well worth a laugh. I like the phantom shitters who left their calling cards in various locations.(y) There are of course less crude posts but equally entertaining.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Bump , go to post No1 to see how to get fit enough to be accepted by the Legion ,note: this will not be of use to those wanting to flounce around in their local gay club :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Surfguy, take it easy mate. Thanks to internet and the forum, everyone knows what is expected of them: min 7 pullups etc. Also looking at the video posted on here from Thomas Gast, sit ups. Because I can tell you, as will chas, to climb a rope using the stirrup method takes abdos.

Now how they train up to it :unsure: The same as squats and swimming etc. is up to them.

Guys. you know what is expected of you to get in, but as I've said before, you've got to stay in. Long distance running ! We don't hear any more about that.

As Surfguy points out the legion isn't about guys "wanting to flounce around in their local gay gay club"
correct me if I'm wrong?

For those who are going to join = New Years resolution : no more flouncing around... Abdos squats and distance.o_O

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Surfguy don't be so furious against weight training. There is place for that even in modern armies. Not everyone goes to gym with goal to become real life action figure. If someone lacking mass for minimum BMI, weights or good thing.
It's also good for increasing strength.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Surfguy don't be so furious against weight training. There is place for that even in modern armies. Not everyone goes to gym with goal to become real life action figure. If someone lacking mass for minimum BMI, weights or good thing.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I`m not against weight training or going to the gym at all , on the contrary , I`ve spent years using gym equipment myself, what I am against is morons who use steroids/stimulants/growth promoters etc to make themselves dangerously unhealthy for the sake of vanity / insecurity.
To get to a very high level of fitness you dont need to take anything that you you cant buy in the meat and fruit & veg isles of your local supermarket.