a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legion preparation training program

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Surfguy.. in my opinion you are a walt. you have admitted you get your information from the internet (on the Gym thread). You Google Army information, British Army (Arrse forums a British Army Forum), Foreign Legion too. You also now have admitted you never served although i´m sure in past posts you did say you did.
please stop it

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Surfguy.. in my opinion you are a walt. you have admitted you get your information from the internet (on the Gym thread). You Google Army information, British Army (Arrse forums a British Army Forum), Foreign Legion too. You also now have admitted you never served although i´m sure in past posts you did say you did.
please stop it

Is that the best you can come up with? , you really are not very clever are you ? , yes I use google scholar but you seem to be completely unaware of what that is? ,so I`ll tell you , its a search engine that is recognised , respected and used by universities and students for research....in almost all subjects, its not like the regular google you use for your predatory hunting of young men.

I dont know how many times I have to say that I have never claimed to be an ex or serving Soldier , so how does that make me a walt? I do deal with the Armed Services through work which involves small arms hence my interest in the Military.

Now about you , you turn up on a 99% male forum with the screen name sexpert , why would you do that ? you start posting images of half dressed men (with a few female pics thrown in to keep us off the scent) , then you start offering bad advise about training when really you are getting off by asking forum members for pictures of themselves, you clearly condone the use of steroids and other illegal substances , you offer no verifiable evidence you`ve ever served other than a few quips you've most likely picked up on the arse forum you mention, It wouldnt be a bad idea for you to join forum that caters for your homosexual gym bunny tastes.

Happy New Year.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Is that the best you can come up with? , you really are not very clever are you ? , yes I use google scholar but you seem to be completely unaware of what that is? ,so I`ll tell you , its a search engine that is recognised , respected and used by universities and students for research....in almost all subjects, its not like the regular google you use for your predatory hunting of young men.

I dont know how many times I have to say that I have never claimed to be an ex or serving Soldier , so how does that make me a walt? I do deal with the Armed Services through work which involves small arms hence my interest in the Military.

Now about you , you turn up on a 99% male forum with the screen name sexpert , why would you do that ? you start posting images of half dressed men (with a few female pics thrown in to keep us off the scent) , then you start offering bad advise about training when really you are getting off by asking forum members for pictures of themselves, you clearly condone the use of steroids and other illegal substances , you offer no verifiable evidence you`ve ever served other than a few quips you've most likely picked up on the arse forum you mention, It wouldnt be a bad idea for you to join forum that caters for your homosexual gym bunny tastes.

Happy New Year.
can you please name the people i asked for naked pictures??

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Travel light and think light. ..b4fore attempting my thing. .any pre civilian grudges, are not welcome
Keep your skits tight to your self
Accept (to a limit, that only you know)
Your perso beef, dosen't intrest any one
Even more, a 1 month , 2 , engagé volontiers disnnae clipe mare than you hen's
Where is your beef ?
7 pull ups or not?
No?
Fucque off

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In order to complete a realistic and comprehensive preparation program I would like to give the following suggestions:
First acquire the following items:
Sports kit:
1 pair of running shoes of very average quality
1 pair of shorts (always run in shorts excepted if there is snow on the ground)
1 T-shirt (any old and ugly will do)
1 old and used sweater (used for running in very cold weather)
Military kit:
1 Pair of military boots (any brand and quality will do)
1 Pair of military (or similar) heavy duty trousers
1 Thin sweater (as usual old) of a dark colour
1 Thick (as old and ugly as possible) military field jacket
1 Solid, cheap and simple back pack (minimum capacity of 20 kg)
1 Waterproof poncho
1 thick rope (8 meters)

Now that you got the kit I would just like to give a few clarifications:
No gym (gyms are forbidden), no workout, no training buddies (just yourself alone), no training in urban areas. If you are not able to get yourself out to a woodland or mountainous area on a daily basis, you are to spineless and stupid to ever being considered for the Foreign Legion. In short make a plan.

First month (phase one):
Every second day (early morning and 3 days out of five) go for a run. Put on your sports kit and run for one to one and a half hour. The good pace is when your sweat is poring down your forehead and the hearth is pounding in your ears. Running on tarred roads is forbidden; stay on dirt roads in the woods or in parks (if you are such an urban wimp). After each run spend at least 5 min stretching your leg muscles.

Now install a pull-ups bar. It should be high enough off the ground so that when you are hanging from it there is no way that your feet will touch the ground. It doesn’t matter if you use existing facilities, put it up yourself in your home or in the woods, (you might use a tree branch if you like) just make sure that it exists.

Make at least 30 pull-ups every day. For the moment it doesn’t matter if it is palms of your hands are facing you or away from you, or a bloody mix, just make sure that you do at least 30 every day.

The weekends are great fun, Put on your “militaryâ€￾ kit and go for the woods. Don’t forget to load your backpack at around 20 kg and bring plenty of water. On Saturday take a four to five hours walk, the pace is the same as for running. Sweat should pour down your forehead and the heart should be pounding in your ears. Every hour take a five min break and drink water (plenty of it).

On Sunday? Well… you do exactly the same.

Every night before going to bed you make 50 push-ups on the floor next to your bed (don’t forget)

Second month (phase two):
The running stays the same but we add on one day and make it four days a week. However now you will now take a few min break in the middle of the run (after 40 to 45 min) and make at least 50 sit-ups. The point with the running is not to kill yourself; therefore keep the pace at something that you can stand for one hour and a half, but keep in mind that you must be sweating (poring down your forehead) and your heart pounding, if not the whole operation is pointless.

Now time has come to install the rope. Find a nice tree (or whatever) in the woods that will allow for a four meters high rope (since I don’t want to be accused of breaking your legs, keep the length to around four meters), and all you have to do is to climb it twice in stead of once. Make sure this place is in the loop of your running trip; the stop and climbing the rope twice will also give you a little break in the running.

The good technique of climbing the rope (without legs) is clearly described in many Youtube videos but in short it is a question of making short and strong pulls keeping the hands if front of your face.

Therefore take a good leap and keep on climbing by putting the pulling hand at the level of your forehead (not higher) and pulling down to the level of your throat (not more). Climbing the rope should be like an explosion of energy that last just a few seconds. Personally I was always a bit heavy and had difficulties with the rope. However I finished sergeant major anyway so it is all a question of persistence.

A good trick is also to avoid keeping the rope between your legs (you will invariably squeeze it), therefore keep the rope on your side and climb by pure energy using the above described process with your arms. If you cannot get up in the beginning just keep on trying and you will be surprised of the progress that you will make as time goes on.

To recapitulate the phase two, we can say one and a half hours run four days a week with 50 sit-ups and two 4 meters ropes on each trip. Don’t forget to stretch your muscles well after every session. We keep the daily pull-ups to 30, but please make sure that you are able to hang with your arms completely extended before each pull.

The weekend “militaryâ€￾ marching trips stays the same but we increase the daily trip to six hours.

Try to make the trips in hilly terrain and as much uphill as possible. Don’t forget to drink a lot of water and keep in mind that it is not the number of kilometers that is important, but that sweat is poring from your forehead and your heart is pounding. If it is raining or cold it is very good, use the poncho and you will just have to walk faster to make the sweat pour and your heart ponding.

Every night before going to bed you make 75 push-ups on the floor next to your bed (don’t forget)

Third month (phase three):

The running loop stays the same; however you will be surprised over how much you have to extend the loop in km (due to your improved performances). In other words: One and a half hour run 4 days per week, 50 sit-ups, two ropes (arms only), good stretch after each run.

We keep the pull-ups to the same thirty a day, but now we will add on 10 complete pull-ups with the palm of your hand facing away from you. Don’t give up on this and these 10 complete pull-ups is your target that you have to obtain.

On the other hand; for the weekend strolls we will make some changes:

Reduce the weight of your backpack to 12 kg. Keep the usual walking to five hours only (don’t forget sweat pouring from your forehead and your heart pounding in your ears). Find a way to end your walk in a flat area. After five hours you make a sixth and final hour running on flat ground. You don’t have to run so fast, but make sure that you are running (not walking) for one hour with your 12 kg pack on your back.

Every night before going to bed you make 100 push-ups on the floor next to your bed (don’t forget), and yes you can do it.

Conclusion:

If you can run more than 13 km in one and a half hour, climb two, four meters rope (arms only), and doo 10 pull-ups with your hands facing away from you, and finally 100 push-ups easily you should be fine.
Make sure that you can walk fast for 5 hours and finish with an 8 km run in less than 50 min with military boots and a 12kg pack on your back.
These requirements are not at all “supermanâ€￾ skills but well within what one could expect from a normally fit young man.
This plan is based upon simplicity, low costs, (an integrated part of Legion philosophy) but needs perseverance and do not tolerate any shortcuts.
Key words are: Sweat pouring from your forehead and heart pounding in your ears. Do the scheduled training regardless of weather or other “excusesâ€￾. Don’t cheat.
Finally if you should encounter any medical complications (most likely your knees or ankles), immediately seek professional medical help.
For any questions send me a PM.
This is great I’m starting this tonight

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia
Bonsoir ou bonjour everyone i was a fitness instructor on my youth and what I learned the most from it is that always when you train make sure its for some purpose matbe a competition maybe a personal goal such as joining the army like the legion here is my contribute program to the fourm.
o I suggest if you new to running swimming pull ups push-ups then you take your time to be ready in two to three years if your allready a pro then six months will do now you need to make the most from your week no more playstation no sitting around and skrechin your balls you need to make the most from you day so bienvenue 5 am club out for a run first thing first sundays 10 k bon journee back home study as much as you can french and any other subject that you weakness is there "be like a spong for intel" LD. then dejouner at noon 12 o'clock 13 o'clock afterthen go for a swimm if you have a sea or a quite lake your blessed if not pay for the local pool
And learn to swim. It will soften your sorenes from the long runs and strength trainings. it will strengthen your core asswell your mind. Back home learn more frencb untill you get sick. then in the evening go to the bar not for the bear but for the pull ups train untill your muscles explode combine push-ups and dips and if you are blessed with a rope climb like my self then do 4 - 6 sets. Try to sleep learning french after dinner.. monday its the same intensity but switch the run from road to terrain and i suggest shoes make sure its terrain .make a break every day three only with the runs and after every 3 days a break from the swims and strength sessions. after any run break do some fast session fartleks to increase the capacity of your lungs and your long runs will be easier. no gym required but if you live in an impossible area to train then try going to a cross fit facilitie and train responsibly.
Tips
Work more on your core muscles and shoulders also your legs gotta run at least 60 k a week.
Once a week do all three workouts with small fruit break only in between dont go home finish all in 3 hours at max.
try to stay motivated and self discipline remember that your future is depend on it

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In order to complete a realistic and comprehensive preparation program I would like to give the following suggestions:
First acquire the following items:
Sports kit:
1 pair of running shoes of very average quality
1 pair of shorts (always run in shorts excepted if there is snow on the ground)
1 T-shirt (any old and ugly will do)
1 old and used sweater (used for running in very cold weather)
Military kit:
1 Pair of military boots (any brand and quality will do)
1 Pair of military (or similar) heavy duty trousers
1 Thin sweater (as usual old) of a dark colour
1 Thick (as old and ugly as possible) military field jacket
1 Solid, cheap and simple back pack (minimum capacity of 20 kg)
1 Waterproof poncho
1 thick rope (8 meters)

Now that you got the kit I would just like to give a few clarifications:
No gym (gyms are forbidden), no workout, no training buddies (just yourself alone), no training in urban areas. If you are not able to get yourself out to a woodland or mountainous area on a daily basis, you are to spineless and stupid to ever being considered for the Foreign Legion. In short make a plan.

First month (phase one):
Every second day (early morning and 3 days out of five) go for a run. Put on your sports kit and run for one to one and a half hour. The good pace is when your sweat is poring down your forehead and the hearth is pounding in your ears. Running on tarred roads is forbidden; stay on dirt roads in the woods or in parks (if you are such an urban wimp). After each run spend at least 5 min stretching your leg muscles.

Now install a pull-ups bar. It should be high enough off the ground so that when you are hanging from it there is no way that your feet will touch the ground. It doesn’t matter if you use existing facilities, put it up yourself in your home or in the woods, (you might use a tree branch if you like) just make sure that it exists.

Make at least 30 pull-ups every day. For the moment it doesn’t matter if it is palms of your hands are facing you or away from you, or a bloody mix, just make sure that you do at least 30 every day.

The weekends are great fun, Put on your “militaryâ€￾ kit and go for the woods. Don’t forget to load your backpack at around 20 kg and bring plenty of water. On Saturday take a four to five hours walk, the pace is the same as for running. Sweat should pour down your forehead and the heart should be pounding in your ears. Every hour take a five min break and drink water (plenty of it).

On Sunday? Well… you do exactly the same.

Every night before going to bed you make 50 push-ups on the floor next to your bed (don’t forget)

Second month (phase two):
The running stays the same but we add on one day and make it four days a week. However now you will now take a few min break in the middle of the run (after 40 to 45 min) and make at least 50 sit-ups. The point with the running is not to kill yourself; therefore keep the pace at something that you can stand for one hour and a half, but keep in mind that you must be sweating (poring down your forehead) and your heart pounding, if not the whole operation is pointless.

Now time has come to install the rope. Find a nice tree (or whatever) in the woods that will allow for a four meters high rope (since I don’t want to be accused of breaking your legs, keep the length to around four meters), and all you have to do is to climb it twice in stead of once. Make sure this place is in the loop of your running trip; the stop and climbing the rope twice will also give you a little break in the running.

The good technique of climbing the rope (without legs) is clearly described in many Youtube videos but in short it is a question of making short and strong pulls keeping the hands if front of your face.

Therefore take a good leap and keep on climbing by putting the pulling hand at the level of your forehead (not higher) and pulling down to the level of your throat (not more). Climbing the rope should be like an explosion of energy that last just a few seconds. Personally I was always a bit heavy and had difficulties with the rope. However I finished sergeant major anyway so it is all a question of persistence.

A good trick is also to avoid keeping the rope between your legs (you will invariably squeeze it), therefore keep the rope on your side and climb by pure energy using the above described process with your arms. If you cannot get up in the beginning just keep on trying and you will be surprised of the progress that you will make as time goes on.

To recapitulate the phase two, we can say one and a half hours run four days a week with 50 sit-ups and two 4 meters ropes on each trip. Don’t forget to stretch your muscles well after every session. We keep the daily pull-ups to 30, but please make sure that you are able to hang with your arms completely extended before each pull.

The weekend “militaryâ€￾ marching trips stays the same but we increase the daily trip to six hours.

Try to make the trips in hilly terrain and as much uphill as possible. Don’t forget to drink a lot of water and keep in mind that it is not the number of kilometers that is important, but that sweat is poring from your forehead and your heart is pounding. If it is raining or cold it is very good, use the poncho and you will just have to walk faster to make the sweat pour and your heart ponding.

Every night before going to bed you make 75 push-ups on the floor next to your bed (don’t forget)

Third month (phase three):

The running loop stays the same; however you will be surprised over how much you have to extend the loop in km (due to your improved performances). In other words: One and a half hour run 4 days per week, 50 sit-ups, two ropes (arms only), good stretch after each run.

We keep the pull-ups to the same thirty a day, but now we will add on 10 complete pull-ups with the palm of your hand facing away from you. Don’t give up on this and these 10 complete pull-ups is your target that you have to obtain.

On the other hand; for the weekend strolls we will make some changes:

Reduce the weight of your backpack to 12 kg. Keep the usual walking to five hours only (don’t forget sweat pouring from your forehead and your heart pounding in your ears). Find a way to end your walk in a flat area. After five hours you make a sixth and final hour running on flat ground. You don’t have to run so fast, but make sure that you are running (not walking) for one hour with your 12 kg pack on your back.

Every night before going to bed you make 100 push-ups on the floor next to your bed (don’t forget), and yes you can do it.

Conclusion:

If you can run more than 13 km in one and a half hour, climb two, four meters rope (arms only), and doo 10 pull-ups with your hands facing away from you, and finally 100 push-ups easily you should be fine.
Make sure that you can walk fast for 5 hours and finish with an 8 km run in less than 50 min with military boots and a 12kg pack on your back.
These requirements are not at all “supermanâ€￾ skills but well within what one could expect from a normally fit young man.
This plan is based upon simplicity, low costs, (an integrated part of Legion philosophy) but needs perseverance and do not tolerate any shortcuts.
Key words are: Sweat pouring from your forehead and heart pounding in your ears. Do the scheduled training regardless of weather or other “excusesâ€￾. Don’t cheat.
Finally if you should encounter any medical complications (most likely your knees or ankles), immediately seek professional medical help.
For any questions send me a PM.
This is wonderful. I'm going to tweak this a bit to include swimming and to extend this to six months instead of three. Doubling the months. Thank you for this.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Practise swimming under water too, at least 10 meters
It's part of the annual tests we do
My method was / is...
Once under the water, use breast stroke, arms only and count 10 pulls, should get you to at least 10 meters but probally more

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Practise swimming under water too, at least 10 meters
It's part of the annual tests we do
My method was / is...
Once under the water, use breast stroke, arms only and count 10 pulls, should get you to at least 10 meters but probally more
Thank you Petit Caporal!!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
sorry stoeng you misunderstood me, but sort of answered my question nonetheless. I meant how many at one attempt, ie , whats the max for one set of push-ups? The highest i can hit is 35 (1...2.......34.............35...collapse) in a total of 150 over 30 mins, never less than 20 except 15 at the start, alternating between knuckles and normal pushups.

Im really gratefiul every day i can do these because when i got the small pin in my wrist (scaphoid) the doctor said he wasnt sure if i'd ever be able to complete a pushup properly- now im stronger than ever having been told i probably wouldnt ever be able to do any properly again. Small achievement for me.
If your maxing out at 35 it could be a mental barrier. When I was younger and much fitter for 6 months I would max out in the 60's, but once I hit 70 the first time. In three weeks I was able to do 100 straight. Once I broke the mental barrier, the physical limitations fell away.