a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legion recruiting and Legion movies

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Thank F@ck you're on here Tom, otherwise the forum would die out. I realize that people are coming out of confinement and that it is nearly summer, but ...
Joe,
Do you have any insight re new members - are there any lately?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Joe,
Do you have any insight re new members - are there any lately?

Actually I do, and as I had left the opportunity for others to invite other people into the conversation, I feel no reason why not to share a post that I sent to the Boss a couple of days ago:

Hi Boss et al*, copy to the "contact us"

I think I've found out why no-one can sign in. I went as far as creating a new email account for myself. After doing about ten verifications to make sure that I'm not a robot (trĆØs chiant) I Then had a Popup saying the following :OOUPS we ran into a problem Password too weak.
I'll admit that the first one that I put in was rather weak.
So I applied the security recommendations of 1 Caps, 1 lowercase. 1 Special character and at least 8 letters long = TheFraud#1.
Underneath the password I get: This is a strong password. So (rebolote)* with the Robot.
then I get the Popup again ...Password too weak!
So I put in TheFraud#1234$5! Even the computer agreed with me by saying underneath "This is a very strong password"
Back to the Robot. Then the pop up again :eek:
Not to be out done, I signed off and then signed back in again with the very strong password
:eek: for F@ck sakes the pop up again!

* Et al. is an abbreviation for et alia (neuter plural). But it can also be an abbreviation for et alii (masculine plural), or et aliae (feminine plural). This phrase means ā€œand others.ā€ Most commonly, et al. Obviously I didn't put in the meaning of et al in the original post. It's just in case anyone out there may not know the meaning.
** rebelote n. A French expression meaning: one more time ; once more ; same story again ; comes from a card game, when after one trump card you bring another one. rebelotte.

So if anyone out there is trying to join the forum (next month it will make a [one] year), don't give up hope, quite simply the forum has had an issue which hopefully the Boss will get fixed pretty soon.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So again, this is a new podcast from ex- Legionnaire's Joel Struthers (writer of "Appel") and Ken Smith. They served in the Rep. This episode they have an officer from the Legion, currently serving, who made his way up the ranks from Legionnaire to officer putting in near 30 years!

Being that the officer serves in recruitment in Aubagne, we are able to hear first hand about some stuff, so it's definitely worth the listen. He speaks in French so they interpret for him but it's not difficult to follow, I guess learn French if it's a problem.

There are plans on having more Legionnaire's on this podcast so it's good to subscribe.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Cheers Tom,
Any chance of you doing a synopsis for people me- not so much the French part, it's more a question of literally having other things to do.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Cheers Tom,
Any chance of you doing a synopsis for people me- not so much the French part, it's more a question of literally having other things to do.
I'll try to highlight the parts I can remember.

The lieutenant became an officer after 25 years of service, he is a French national, and did serve in the regulars before the Legion. He was also in GCP in the Legion.

For recruitment, he says that currently 1/6 make it through selection. In the past, more focus was on IQ but now not as much. Come in shape but no need to be Olympic level. It's good to know some French but no need to know before entering selection. Understood that you will not be joining to be som front line soldier, it's a society that you're joining. When it comes to ones past, it is on a case by case basis, if you have some problems in the past but have changed and want that second chance, it is all considered on a case by case except for the serious crimes as we know. Don't come too young he says, 21 or 22 is a good age (for the older guys, he did not say to not come too old so maybe that's a good sign šŸ˜‰).

He says about 50% decide to stay and sign another contract. Those who desert are doing the Legion a favor. Some people that desert have been regretting it and choose to write fir a second chance and they are also considered on a case by case basis (he did not say it but thus leads me to believe that when getting inapt definite, depending on what for, maybe they can be reconsidered in a case by case). They say that after 17.5 years you can earn a pension, I though this was 20 years now but they said otherwise. A couple things I think we're miscommunicated or lost in translation like when it is said that one does not have to become a French national to becom an officer, what I think they meant was that you did not have to be a French native.

I wish the interview was a bit longer because there were so many questions that could be answered but I guess those who wonder will have to go and see. There was more topics discussed but these are what I can remember right now.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
There are two videos here. Hit right arrow to see second video.
The guy who posted this is almost certainly a Yugo. In fact now that I looked more closely on his instagram, yeah he is Yugo 100% (Serb, Croat or Bosnian).

Go Yugos! Down Anglos, :) down Poles, down Ruskies, down Africans and especially down Arabs! Down everyone and go, go Yugos! :)