a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legion recruiting and Legion movies

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this thread has already been created:unsure:one similar. If you could post your videos in English or with English subtitles, it would be greatly appreciated by those who don't speak French (or Serbo-Croatian for that matter;)). I thought I'd start the ball rolling with this four (4) part doc:

Very important, it is for FIVE (5) years.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Almost at the end when Simon starts talking about the REP. (...)
From 40:28. Interesting footage of then Kolwezi that I hadn’t seen before. At one point we see the 2e REP chaplain (aumônier), Padre Lallemand celebrating a religious service, that seems to be in memory of the KIAs.
(...) Can’t bloody miss me with that accent!
Where is it from ?

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Where is it from ?
Hello Rapace, I was born in Norwich city Norfolk. (East Anglia) but spent the best part of my boyhood in the north-east of England (Northumberland) and so it's a mixture of Geordie and east anglican 😱. The funny thing is now on occasion when I visit friends in the UK they can barely understand me, and I them! Why? Because now I have an American twang mixed in there too, having lived in the United States since 1983. Language is a strange thing!😉 ! Imagine me and Le Petit Caporal having a few beers together... It would take Einstein to figure out what the heck we were saying! 🤔 😆

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
(...) Imagine me and Le Petit Caporal having a few beers together... It would take Einstein to figure out what the heck we were saying! 🤔 😆
Unless Einstein was having a few Kros with you in the foyer. Amazing how beer in the foyer could break the language barrier. Mind saying that, the next morning if you were asked what the conversion was about? Let's just say that we had worked out all the problems in Europe and then started on those in the rest of the world before the Cch kicked everyone out for appel.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Almost at the end when Simon starts talking about the REP. That's me by the gun/mortar. Then all of a sudden he gets into the Kolwezi op. Can’t bloody miss me with that accent! 😉

I would say this is you Mark?(click play so it start at marked time) Watched that movie long time ago never know that you are in it.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Correct dusa. Simon murray made that documentary not long after the regiment came back from Lebanon. (September 1982) forgive the accent!😉
talking about accents (Geordie one at that), there is a series of Auf weidersen pet on you tube. For those who do not know the series, it starts off with a bunch of Geordies who go to Germany to work as bricklayers. They then end up in Spain, then the US, next in Havana and lastly in some shady place like Columbia.
The whole 5 series are on here.
It's important that you use the same provider ... the dogs b*llocks

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
talking about accents (Geordie one at that), there is a series of Auf weidersen pet on you tube. For those who do not know the series, it starts off with a bunch of Geordies who go to Germany to work as bricklayers. They then end up in Spain, then the US, next in Havana and lastly in some shady place like Columbia.
The whole 5 series are on here.
It's important that you use the same provider ... the dogs b*llocks
Have to check it out Joseph. those bloody geordies are every where!😉

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Correct dusa. Simon murray made that documentary not long after the regiment came back from Lebanon. (September 1982) forgive the accent!😉
Actually to me accent sound like Englishman who lived in US for some time or American who living in England for couple years. I think that is UK accent closest to some of American.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Actually to me accent sound like Englishman who lived in US for some time or American who living in England for couple years. I think that is UK accent closest to some of American.
Just shows how much you know dusa wich is nothing! all the bullshit you gave us all on the forum about joining the legion! and now you are the expert!!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Just shows how much you know dusa wich is nothing! all the bullshit you gave us all on the forum about joining the legion! and now you are the expert!!
WTF now Mark? We were OK for some time and now you slam me down. I'm not claiming to know anything about English language especially about accents. Just said how that sounded to me as non native English speaker. I wouldn't even notice if you don't pointed and I really don't understand why that upset you? Nothing bad on my mind but ..

As for my joining, I'm not BS-ing anyone. If I do that, I'm doing to myself first. Everything I wrote her were my serious intentions. Why things didn't turn out as I planned ... partly because of my lack of discipline partly because of medical reasons.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Have to check it out Joseph. those bloody geordies are every where!😉
Yes mate, to the point where in the legion, you would probably not know a guys true first name, he was Geordie Noble or Geordie Banks, etc. I must warn you though that the above link is quite addictive.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
WTF now Mark? We were OK for some time and now you slam me down. I'm not claiming to know anything about English language especially about accents. Just said how that sounded to me as non native English speaker. I wouldn't even notice if you don't pointed and I really don't understand why that upset you? Nothing bad on my mind but ..

As for my joining, I'm not BS-ing anyone. If I do that, I'm doing to myself first. Everything I wrote her were my serious intentions. Why things didn't turn out as I planned ... partly because of my lack of discipline partly because of medical reasons.
Calme toi, mon petit! Maybe a little payback for some of your comments on les Anglais / Americains of late! 🤔 These bloody lockdowns are getting on my nerves!😷 Stuck in the house for weeks on end with the missus and not being able to go out for a few beers with the lads is enough to drive anybody balmy! Same everywhere I suppose. Now piss off and enjoy your day! 😉