Less than 4 hours until I leave =)

Hertz

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
i will be knocking at the gates i Paris tomorrow.

Wish me luck =)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Can you share something with us for your time there?
Which would only be fair as I see that you only knocked on the gates 4 months after joining the forum. So I can only assume that you used the search mode for answers and followed the daily posts.
What I think would be interesting is if you can tell us what you've earned from the Legion i.e. driver's license, the language, etc. I appreciate that it wasn't all take and that you gave ten years of your life to the Legion. Did you get any overseas tours? For Dusa, were you accepted into the “Brit mafia”?
Looking forward to hearing from you. Even if the Legion, for now, isn't all that you expected it to be, you can be proud that you completed your contract. Oh and thanks for remembering your Cervens buddies.

Last edited:

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Agree with Joseph. Would be interesting for the members to get some feedback on what you liked/disliked in the Legion (even if your personal experience is probably different from anybody else's). As I understand, you joined in 2010. Have you just left? In other words did you spend 10 years in total in the Legion?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm sorry, I did't realize that you had signed on for another contract -at least 2 other contracts, as it is only the first one that you can sign for 5 years. My apologies. Thanks Rapace for discreetly pointing this out.
So we can take it that you liked it then ;)

OP
H

Hertz

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
Hi guys,
Yes, 2010 to now. I have just started a stage de reconversion, ie. an over half a year long course to get a diploma in a chosen civilian profession, as to be able to integrate back into civile life successfully. All paid for by the French army, and while still getting my regular monthly pay and all expenses paid. Not bad! Counting that stage, I will have done 10 years, and a few days. 9,5 yrs in active service if not counting that. I already passed Aubagne on my way out, but my CBC has that later date written.
I did stay longer than I expected to, but there where every time a reason to sign for another year, another something.. It's not a perfect life, and things could be so much better if they where different, but still. It is a unique place, a unique lifestyle.. Some things can be done there that you can not do anywhere else. I grew a lot as a person over there, over time. I did some interesting things, overseas, in jungle, in desert, and a lot up in the mountains. Not enough, and at the same time enough to last for a good while.
I can write a bit more later when I got time!

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Well, welcome back to civilian life.
I hope you will give us some insights into your experience, and give some advice to guys who plan to join.
When you find time of course.
Cheers!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Well done you. You know, if you mic mac with your future employer when doing a stage de reconversion, you can do it for a year and maybe 18 months... Doesn’t cost anything to the employer nowt, and as you said, you are paid by the army.
The reason is to develop your social network in civvy before you go civil. Sous-offs and officers do it all the time.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
In which regiment(s) did you serve in your 9 ½ years of active service in the Legion ?