a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Life after the Legion

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
First life: before legion
2nd life: legion
3rd life: life after legion

Hey dudes,

It's been 3 months since I walked out the gates. Havnt looked back. I miss my friends. I miss France. I'm happy to be out though living the good life in America. No regrets but I found it to be a slightly disappointing experience from the military side of it. Loved the vacation days, living in Europe, and the great friends. Vigipirate was good money and chill. Happy with the money I saved too.

I'm a police officer in south Carolina now. Still a legionnaire at heart though. I wear my legion pt clothes when i run. And love my army pants when I'm fishing or chilling.

Sorry if this just turned out to be a me me me post. Just kinda want to say that there are plenty of people who go in and come out having fulfilled their contract.

Anyone in SC who wants to swing by and ask me any and every question about legion and life in 1REC (2013-2018) is more than welcome.

And I will say again, any former legion looking for work in America (east coast) is more than welcome to message me and I will do everything I can for you.

P.S.
If the kepi blanc people read this: f**k yall for misspelling my name on my exit photo. My last name is 4 letters you idiots.

Congratulations on completing your contract. You will always look back on it and be more than proud, I have no doubt

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
We are commanded by accountants. Finished are the days of our best friend the enemy (U.S.S.R.), where the Army was more or less, self service. Nowadays, a few hundreds raggies with flop flops are costing France 700 million euros per year for Barkhane. For the first time in 4 years, the question is being asked: “should we stay or should we go?” (Source: Le Monde)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We are commanded by accountants. Finished are the days of our best friend the enemy (U.S.S.R.), where the Army was more or less, self service. Nowadays, a few hundreds raggies with flop flops are costing France 700 million euros per year for Barkhane. For the first time in 4 years, the question is being asked: “should we stay or should we go?” (Source: Le Monde)
Now that is the clash...

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
That is very spot on my friend. But Putin has been acting such an ass maybe the good old cold war days will return...

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
And no way are we going to déplace our heavy tanks to Barkhane. ..the récent capers with the Ukrainian boats
Was a provoking reprisal to NATO manouvers in Norway last month

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
And no way are we going to déplace our heavy tanks to Barkhane. ..the récent capers with the Ukrainian boats
Was a provoking reprisal to NATO manouvers in Norway last month
Heavy tanks..LOL. The Legion in my opinion Lacks Artillery ..should have it's own Regiment. Heavy tanks we had backing US up yes.. Do you know what our life expectancy was? 48 hours. M109 shoot dirty rounds & die. That is the truth.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Some deserve to but am no politician
1 REC is light brigade
Barkhane is just not Legion
The helicopters we have at our disposal needs an overall evry 2000 hrs and the evry so often maintenance
1 armed Reaper can do the job of a armed escadron and costs less
Go with the times

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Some deserve to but am no politician
1 REC is light brigade
Barkhane is just not Legion
The helicopters we have at our disposal needs an overall evry 2000 hrs and the evry so often maintenance
1 armed Reaper can do the job of a armed escadron and costs less
Go with the times
1 Rec is the backing fire power & recce. I am sure they do many recce missions and it's never talked about.

Dan98

Reaction score
Home Country
El Salvador
Thank you very much for the info.
Was wondering, is it hard to get assigned to AFV crew if you go to 1 REC? Did you request it?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yeah. Thing is, even after you realize the military aspect of it is a joke, you still got all the other things that make up for it. Hanging out with great friends everyday. Weekend debauchery. Really almost no responsibility (assuming single, no kids, live on post), and fu**in 45 days of PTO. 45 days is unheard of in US. Train discounts that allow you to see the country for cheap. Living in a absolutely beautiful country. I love France and French culture.
The legion was great to me. I only think it's worth mentioning to the people wanting to be top soldiers that they will be disappointed.
Whoever said you get back what you put in... that doesn't really apply sorry. I've met brilliant guys (tough belarussians) that tried to make it better. They just get burnt out by the impossibility of it.
But again, I have no regrets. Great thing to do while you're still young and dumb.

Could you have stayed in France and been a cop over there?

Complete shot in the dark, did you ever meet that West Pointer that went AWOL and joined the Legion? I have no idea what unit he was in. I heard he did his contract and then turned himself in to the U.S. MPs and is now doing a 5 year prison term in Leavenworth. I've often wondered why he didn't just keep his new identity and stay in France.

Ranger Rick

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
(...) Complete shot in the dark, did you ever meet that West Pointer that went AWOL and joined the Legion? I have no idea what unit he was in. I heard he did his contract and then turned himself in to the U.S. MPs and is now doing a 5 year prison term in Leavenworth. I've often wondered why he didn't just keep his new identity and stay in France.
He was in 2REI. They offered him SGT and a path to become an officer before he left, but he said he wanted to handle his sh*t back in the states. The general from 6e BLB flew to the US and attended his court martial. There’s a chance he might come back.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
He was in 2REI. They offered him SGT and a path to become an officer before he left, but he said he wanted to handle his shit back in the states. There’s a chance he might come back.
That would be a wild ride. From West Pointer to FFL to prison inmate and back to Legion as an officer.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
He was in 2REI. They offered him SGT and a path to become an officer before he left, but he said he wanted to handle his shit back in the states. The general from 6e BLB flew to the US and attended his court martial. There’s a chance he might come back.
Where do you have this information from?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
He was in 2REI. They offered him SGT and a path to become an officer before he left, but he said he wanted to handle his sh*t back in the states. The general from 6e BLB flew to the US and attended his court martial. There’s a chance he might come back.
Hi Ranger Rick, although no one is putting your word in doubt. I'm sure that it is all true except for the point of the General from the 6ème brigade légère blindée, who although has a legion regiment in his brigade, would fly to the US to testify in a court marshal of a legion cpl. I'd put that down to one of the myths that make up legion folklore.

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark