a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Life after the Legion

notatexan

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
First life: before the Legion
2nd life: in the Legion
3rd life: after the Legion

Hey dudes,

It's been 3 months since I walked out the gates. Haven't looked back. I miss my friends. I miss France. I'm happy to be out though living the good life in America. No regrets but I found it to be a slightly disappointing experience from the military side of it. Loved the vacation days, living in Europe, and the great friends. Vigipirate was good money and chill. Happy with the money I saved too.

I'm a police officer in South Carolina now. Still a legionnaire at heart though. I wear my Legion pt clothes when I run. And love my army pants when I'm fishing or chilling.

Sorry if this just turned out to be a me me me post. Just kinda want to say that there are plenty of people who go in and come out having fulfilled their contract.

Anyone in SC who wants to swing by and ask me any and every question about Legion and life in 1er REC (2013-2018) is more than welcome.

And I will say again, any former Legion looking for work in America (east coast) is more than welcome to message me and I will do everything I can for you.

P.S.
If the Képi Blanc magazine people read this: f**k yall for mispelling my name on my exit photo. My last name is 4 letters you idiots.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good to hear you have landed on your feet. So what was a typical day in 1er REC like? Did you do much live firing?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
How was being an American in the Legion? I've heard it's hard for Americans to get in, true? How many Americans did you meet in the Legion?

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
What did you do in 1er REC? Which squadron did you serve in? Did you serve in a AMX10 RC and as what? Or in another vehicle and as what? How do they decide what one should do in the regiment when you are new, and how is the training for service in a AMX/other vehicle? Any OPEX or all the time in France?

Looking forward hearing from you.

notatexan

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ok to answer all questions...
A typical day was standing around doing dumb sh*t. Having some Sgt or Ltn make us do something dumb just to keep up appearances.
Not hard for anyone of any nationality to get in.
Plenty of Americans there. Plenty.
Live fire maybe 1 day every 2 or 3 months with rifle. 1 day with AMX every year or 2.
The whole thing was just a sh*t show. Sorry to the vets who swear it was something else. At least at 1er REC it was. I'd still say 1er REC was the best regiment for quality of life.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well... Look at the bright side of things: you learnt French and you'll have some stories to tell your police buddies. I've always said that you get out of the Legion what you put into it. Live fire maybe 1 day every 2 or 3 months with a rifle, no OPEX... What did you do in the REC? I take you were in the CCS or CCL.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
notatexan,

Thank you for your post and frank summary of your service. Congratulations that despite your reservations you completed your contract with honour and fidelity.

I am delighted that you have now found other employment and remain jealous of your piscatorial :unsure: activities.....lucky you. I trust you will have tight lines.

Finally in years to come you will look back on your service with great pride. Possibly like me you will bore your family with tales of derring do. In my case all BS.;)

Kind regards Chas.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Ok to answer all questions...
A typical day was standing around doing dumb sh*t. Having some Sgt or Ltn make us do something dumb just to keep up appearances.
Not hard for anyone of any nationality to get in.
Plenty of Americans there. Plenty.
Live fire maybe 1 day every 2 or 3 months with rifle. 1 day with AMX every year or 2.
The whole thing was just a sh*t show. Sorry to the vets who swear it was something else. At least at 1er REC it was. I'd still say 1er REC was the best regiment for quality of life.
Geez... Not enough live firing... 1REC sort it out. :confused: British Artillery we were non stop on field exercises and always live firing. Only 1 or 2 dry exercise because of urban deployment.

Ok... so that's the reason why we are not drowning in books about "I was in the 1 REC".
Well you infantry types would be glad of fire support to save your asses :D. As Joe points out, it depends where you are in the Regiment.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Geez... Not enough live firing... 1REC sort it out. :confused: British Artillery we were non stop on field exercises and always live firing. Only 1 or 2 dry exercise because of urban deployment.
Let's wait for Notatexan to tell us what his function was in the REC first. I'm sure that he is not summing the whole regiment when he says that he has only shot his rifle, the very basic standard weapon for every legionnaire regardless of regiment, every two or three months.
What say you Notatexan?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Different times, different ways of procedures.
It is something that will always change according to what is required at present times

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Different times, different ways of procedures.
It is something that will always change according to what is required at present times
can you tell us about your time in the Cavalry? I looked at your web site, pictures. very nice.

notatexan

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well, look at the bright side of things, you learnt French and you'll have some stories to tell your police buddies. I've always said, you get out of the legion what you put into it. Live fire maybe 1 day every 2 or 3 months with a rifle, no OPEX, what did you do in the REC? I take you were in the CCS or CCL.
I didn't say I didn't go on OPEX. I enjoyed it, just felt the training was lacking. I was an AMX10 and ERC “Sagaie” gunner in 3rd squadron. I spent the last 6 months ECL motor pool because I refused to re up. 1st, 2nd, 3rd squadrons all do same stuff and shoot the same. Anyone who says otherwise is full of it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
(...) I was an AMX10 and ERC “Sagaie” gunner in 3rd squadron. (...)
Well if you were not live firing you must have been on some kind of training, like simulators (not stimulators :LOL:), no? I have seen a video of 1er REC using a simulator. In fact I posted it.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
NOTAEXAN,

Hilarious how these dudes still think the Legion is full of commandos. I remember when we did our CENTAC and had some beers while scratching our heads in amazement at the sheer stupidity and lack of basic military skills. I am glad I saw you off at the gare Saint-Charles in Marseille. I'm especially glad you made it in the police back home. Nice one. I love our live fire shooting every 2-3 months. Same at 1er REG... 25-50 rounds max. 100 meters, 75, 50, 25. FINISHED. You are an expert. TOTAL JOKE.
I just wish the fantasist would listen to the guys who are and were in, in the last five years.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hilarious how these dudes still think the Legion is full of commandos. I remember when we did our CENTAC and had some beers while scratching our heads in amazement at the sheer stupidity and lack of basic military skills. I am glad I saw you off at the gare Saint-Charles in Marseille. I'm especially glad you made it in the police back home. Nice one. I love our live fire shooting every 2-3 months. Same at 1er REG... 25-50 rounds max. 100 meters, 75, 50, 25. FINISHED. You are an expert. TOTAL JOKE.
I just wish the fantasist would listen to the guys who are and were in, in the last five years.
If it´s so shit why have you never deserted? Like any army you will always get good guys & idiots. Sure I don´t believe the Legion is like the SAS but I would have joined it to see & maybe enjoy the camaraderie.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If it´s so shit why have you never deserted? Like any army you will always get good guys & idiots. Sure I don´t believe the Legion is like the SAS but I would have joined it to see & maybe enjoy the camaraderie.
Why would I desert?. It is five years man, not much. One more thing notched off. Maybe I will become a monk after. Who knows?

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Hi, and thanks for sharing your experience. When you say it's not hard to get in you mean you found the physical tests easy? And why did you guys train so little (in your opinion)?