a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Life in the 1er REC

Reaction score
Home Country
Moldova
I have been researching lately about regiments and I found 1er REC very interesting for myself and I would like to go there. What you guys know about “life” there? How things are?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A Green with experience will tell you.
When are you going ?
If so 'Good Luck'.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The R.E.C., is probally the most tradionalist of Legion regiments. Saint-Georges (patron saint of the Cavalry) is celebrated the 25th April, 5 days before Camerone. They were previously based in Orange and are now in the Carpiagne camp, east of Marseille, with a large maneuver terrain and near the Mediterranean. Nice wee coastal town called Cassis nearby.
REC is part of the 6e BLB (Brigade Légère Blindée, Light Armoured Brigade) and they are often deployed to various places. If you serve in the REC, try and obtain your heavy goods licence.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
(...) If you serve in the REC, try and obtain your heavy goods licence.
I think you mean HGV1 (super poids lourd) as everyone will pass the HGV 3 license. As I've said before you get out of the legion what you put into it. The more qualifications you come out with, that can be used in civvy street, the better; Fuel truck license, tank low loader, you name it. You can also get your diving licenses in the the REC. Because when they do river crossings you have always got a SAF team with you.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think you mean HGV1 (super poids lourd) as everyone will pass the HGV 3 license. As I've said before you get out of the legion what you put into it. The more qualifications you come out with, that can be used in civvy street, the better; Fuel truck license, tank low loader, you name it. You can also get your diving licenses in the the REC. Because when they do river crossings you have always got a SAF team with you.
Yeah good post... C +E on an EU Licence HGV 1.
Make sure you pay attention to map reading & fire orders. Fire discipline is very important. Map reading in a Cavalry regiment / recce 100%

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Judging by the vehicles, AML 90? Correct me if I'm wrong and the terrain, I'd say the escadron at Arta, Djibouti,

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Judging by the vehicles, AML 90? Correct me if I'm wrong and the terrain, I'd say the escadron at Arta, Djibouti.
No AMX-10 RC but below is a video of the AML 90 used by the Irish... Never knew they used it.

Or could be this bad boy?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Judging by the vehicles, AML 90? Correct me if I'm wrong and the terrain, I'd say the escadron at Arta, Djibouti,
Sexpert is correct... on his second attempt :). What we see on the 1er REC video you've posted are ERC-90 Sagaie. AMX10-RC and ERC-90 will be both replaced by the new EBRC (Engin Blindé de Reconnaissance et de Combat, Armoured Reconnaissance and Combat Vehicle) “Jaguar”.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert is correct... on his second attempt :). What we see on the 1er REC video you've posted are ERC-90 Sagaie. AMX10-RC and ERC-90 will be both replaced by the new EBRC (Engin Blindé de Reconnaissance et de Combat, Armoured Reconnaissance and Combat Vehicle) “Jaguar”.
I will take that as a positive post Frenchie... :D

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
We can not compare professional expérience gained in a Genie /Engineers regiment and that of the Cavalry. ..best to do the both, imo
The 'services technique', or the garages, if you prefer at the C.C.S.S or Logistique is the place to be
To get there, you need to do your time and prove your self , by going thru the various fonctions, begining with loader (if such a job is needed for Scorpion?) To driver / Pilote and why not Meccano
Even the stores and stock. ..and are more vital on Opex (at times)...but to get there, it takes years
What do you want from life ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We can not compare professional expérience gained in a Genie /Engineers regiment and that of the Cavalry. ..best to do the both, imo
The 'service techniques', the C.C.S.S or Logistique is the place to be
To get there, you need to do your time and prove your self , by going thru the various fonctions, begining with loader (if such a job is needed for Scorpion?) To driver / Pilote and why not Meccano
Even the stores and stock. ..and are more vital on Opex (at times)...but to get there, it takes years
Was getting worried that you might be locked up ..:D

Dan98

Reaction score
Home Country
El Salvador
The 'services technique', or the garages, if you prefer at the C.C.S.S or Logistique is the place to be

Good stuff, pequeño cabo.
But why do engineer regiment and not just cav? And why go for the garages instead of staying in the field?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Staying in the field is ..for the pesants
In the garages, stores and stock (magasins) offices / bureaux (véhicule historique and oils command / révision programmes etc. ..have more utility once civil (when was the last time you saw a job going for a tank gunnedr? = be wise
Génie has many more véhicules to explore than Calvary. ..and they have many more different missions to explore (fact)
In both cases, Génie or Calvary, you must do the field and as a wanna be. ..who wants to go to the garages (it's better for promotion and posting's / Opexs)
You must always ask the Legion, more than they will allow
If not, you will get no where