a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Little" new on this

Mischa

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
I am new on this forum and I need to know something (if someone can help me). My husband joined FFL on Feb 2010. H passed all the tests... and now he is at Castelnaudary for training.
My question is: there is any possible mean to communicate at least for a few seconds by phone ? So he can tell me that he is ok, because he asked a few boys that left FFL to call me and they told me he had some health problems.
It's 4 months since I saw him and heard his voice. Somebody please answer me. :(
Thank you.

Neffy

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
well... I get u some tissue so u dont have to use me as one and I dont mean to be unsensitive.

libertypo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
My question is: there is any possible mean to communicate at least for a few seconds by phone ? So he can tell me that he is ok, because he asked a few boys that left FFL to call me and they told me he had some health problems.
No, not until he's at his regiment. Unless he manages to call you from Castel.

ghostmx

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
Hi Mischa, he should be able to contact you any time soon, plus if his health related problems were serious he would have been sent civil a long time ago. I haven't had the chance to join the FFL myself but if you dig a bit in the forum you'll know that he has to "escape" to be able to communicate with friends and family at least during basic, so maybe he is doing things right and as soon as he earns a Kepi Blanc he should contact you every week or so.
My suggestion is, stay calm and be patient because if he makes it it's gonna be 5 years of this, and you probably have to be the "bigger person" in the relationship.

JUST ON A QUICK NOTE, in the FFL official website they say that you are not able to have communication with anyone for the first 4 months which is what basic lasts, so he is barely crossing that line...

This is a new GOOD start for both of you, so try to see it on the positive side, everything will be ok.

Murph

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You can't call him. However if he manages to get a phone card on his 4 hour leave (if they still give that these days) after getting his Képi Blanc, he might be able to call... Most don't as they are not sober enough. That might sound harsh, but the guys need those 4 hours to blow off a lot of steam and usually that means in a bar with his friends. If he joined in Feb, then count 1 month at selection, 4 months training, which means around July, he'll be able to give you a ring as he'll be off to his regiment. Don't worry about his health, he'll be looked after if ill/injured in training.

Mischa

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
The boys that called me on 18 th of April and said that he has some health related problems also specified that his "OK" to go to Castel was on 22 April. Between 1 February and 22 April he passed the tests but not the medical ones and my puzzle is, as you said "" he would have been sent civil a long time ago"" ; the last one told me that he was put in a "special place/company" (i don't know what) for health care. Is it possible to stay so long before leaving for basic training ?
PS : I have read almost everything that is on the official site ; I saw French films, English films ... but, the reality is probably different.

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Don’t worry about this.

If he went to basic training and have some medical problem (quite common) he will be place in a medical service, and once the medical problem is fixed, he will be attached to another platoon in basic training that is on the level where he stopped.

Therefore the basic training will be a bit longer, but I am sure that you will hear from him soon.

corvee de chotte

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
The joys of joining the Legion when you are married,maybe he could get the FFL family liason officer to phone ........woops they dont have one,its a hard life .

Mischa

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
For STOENG : You were right. He just called me and said he will be soon a legionnaire. The ceremony's in Paris and he will be able to call me after that. He also told me that he has some health problems but there are "under control" .

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
The ceremony's in Paris and he will be able to call me after that.
You mean the Képi Blanc presentation ceremony ? It's quite uncommon to have it in Paris...

Mischa

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
He said Paris but maybe i didn't understand something. It's possible that he meant the regiment in Paris that he will get off? Is there an FFL unit ? I don't know what to say ! Where is the ceremony usually ? Just one place ?

mad jock

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
hhhhhhmmmmmm ( i sit with arms folded, mouth screwed up to 1 side, eyebrow raised and looking intently at the screen) anyone else doing that whilst reading this or is it just me?

alecaf

Reaction score
Home Country
Guatemala
hhhhhhmmmmmm ( i sit with arms folded, mouth screwed up to 1 side, eyebrow raised and looking intently at the screen) anyone else doing that whilst reading this or is it just me?

lmao, was doing exactly that. I think its some honest misunderstanding no one would be this desperate (I hope)

Hroflr Grimm

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The ceremony is a simple one and is somewhere in the south of France, where all the training occurs. It is likely that your beau was merely confused about the Paris bit. And yes, after this ceremony he may get the chance to communicate with the outside world. Because of his health issue it appears that he is a little behind schedule, so for him it can easily be 3 months after the kepi blanc ceremony that he is able to communicate, since normally he would be at that point one month in, not 4+. It is near certain that he misses you even more than you miss him and he will be doing what he can to communicate to you at his earliest ability to do so.

Mischa

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
You mean the Képi Blanc presentation ceremony ? It's quite uncommon to have it in Paris...

"Le 8 juin 2010 sous l'oeil bienveillant de l' Empereur Napoléon I, 50 jeunes légionnaires du 4e Régiment étranger se sont vus remettre leurs Képis blancs au cours d'une cérémonie dont il garderont un souvenir impérissable. " a Paris au "Dôme handicapés".

Mischa

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
The ceremony is a simple one and is somewhere in the south of France, where all the training occurs. It is likely that your beau was merely confused about the Paris bit. And yes, after this ceremony he may get the chance to communicate with the outside world. Because of his health issue it appears that he is a little behind schedule, so for him it can easily be 3 months after the kepi blanc ceremony that he is able to communicate, since normally he would be at that point one month in, not 4+. It is near certain that he misses you even more than you miss him and he will be doing what he can to communicate to you at his earliest ability to do so.

"Le 8 juin 2010 sous l'oeil bienveillant de l' Empereur Napoléon I, 50 jeunes légionnaires du 4e Régiment étranger se sont vus remettre leurs Képis blancs au cours d'une cérémonie dont il garderont un souvenir impérissable. " a Paris au "Dôme handicapés".

Mischa

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Mmmmmmm Paris, are you sure he said Paris?

Yes, he was right. He did "remise son kepi blanc" in Paris :
"50 jeunes légionnaires du 4e Régiment étranger se sont vus remettre leurs Képis blancs au cours d'une cérémonie dont il garderont un souvenir impérissable. " a Paris au "Dôme handicapés". There is a little film on youtube.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom